Martial Artists?

BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
Any of you here? What forms are you practicing/learning?

I just started taking Ju Jutsu (sp?)/Judo and I looooooove it! I feel dangerous..so watch out stalkers, rapists, and any other predators. :evil4:

I'm not lethal yet, but I am really digging learning, and it's a tough discipline. My wrists are all beat up, my back is sore from being thrown about 100 times, but it's all part of the learning process. However I can now throw a 250lb man over my shoulder with little effort. :blackeye:
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    :notworthy:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    :notworthy:

Lol :D

I guess I've been watching too much Xena.. I wanna be a warrior princess too.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    That really is pretty cool, way to go!!

I have always wanted to do some sort of martial arts, but just haven't been able to. So, I enrolled my daughter in karate. She loves it.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    I took Kenpo for a few years. It really kept me toned. I should go back and wish I could but can't right now. I gained 15 lbs in 2 months post-karate.

Sigh...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    That really is pretty cool, way to go!!

I have always wanted to do some sort of martial arts, but just haven't been able to. So, I enrolled my daughter in karate. She loves it.

Lucky daughter. :) I am only taking it because it's being offered for free at my gym. I know that these classes can normally be pretty expensive. If I had to pay I would also just be wishing to learn...
    Phoenix wrote: »
    I took Kenpo for a few years. It really kept me toned. I should go back and wish I could but can't right now. I gained 15 lbs in 2 months post-karate.

Sigh...

That's too bad that you can't do it right now.. who knows. Maybe sometime in the future an opportunity will present itself and you can get back into it. :glasses7:
  • notyouraveragecurlnotyouraveragecurl Registered Users Posts: 193
    Good for you! My SO is a martial arts snob--he does olympic-level judo and is actually going to the judo world competition this august--and says that the best rape defense for women is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Judo is also very good because, essentially, anytime someone is punching or kicking out at you there's always a way to grapple and FLIP THE M*THAF*CKAAAAR!!!!

*ahem* sorry...just got back from muai thai classes myself. :happy2:

Good job on taking an @$$-kicking, sport mama! ;) I'll make sure to stay on your good side! ;)
    There is a phenomenal amount of beauty in self-acceptance. <3
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I earned a black belt in Okanawan kenpo style karate when I turned 40 (7 years ago). Sure loved the discipline and sense of power I got. Since then I discovered yoga and spend way more time doing that.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Good for you! My SO is a martial arts snob--he does olympic-level judo and is actually going to the judo world competition this august--and says that the best rape defense for women is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Judo is also very good because, essentially, anytime someone is punching or kicking out at you there's always a way to grapple and FLIP THE M*THAF*CKAAAAR!!!!

*ahem* sorry...just got back from muai thai classes myself. :happy2:

Good job on taking an @$$-kicking, sport mama! ;) I'll make sure to stay on your good side! ;)

:laughing9: Well that's the good thing about martial arts.. you learn to respect everyone (especially your opponents), because you don't know if they can potentially give you a nice beat down. :eye: I def won't mess with you or your SO!
    2poodles wrote: »
    I earned a black belt in Okanawan kenpo style karate when I turned 40 (7 years ago). Sure loved the discipline and sense of power I got. Since then I discovered yoga and spend way more time doing that.....

Yoga and martial arts would go hand in hand..one for meditation and stretching, the other for confidence and discipline as you mentioned.
  • reegsreegs Registered Users Posts: 50
    Good to hear of other curlies doing MA. I study Wing Chun Kung Fu and Yang Style Tai Chi and I love it!

Not only am I the only curly but I'm the only female there. There have been a few who randomly turn up but I'm the only regular attendee.

Enjoy your MA ladies!
    3B, Fine texture, normal or low porosity (I'm not sure)

Co-Wash - Say Yes to Cucumbers
    Conditioner - Tresemme Naturals
    DT - Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturising Conditioner
    Products - Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets Styling Potion, Jessicurl Confident Coils Styling Solution

Others I've used in the past:
    Conditioner - DeLorenzo Rejuven8 Condtioner
    Products - Sunsilk Curl Booster, Joico Joilotion, Garnier Fructis Styling Gel Endurance 24h
    I have homework for my class:

Watch UFC!

Sir yes sir. :salut: 8)
    reegs wrote: »
    Good to hear of other curlies doing MA. I study Wing Chun Kung Fu and Yang Style Tai Chi and I love it!

Not only am I the only curly but I'm the only female there. There have been a few who randomly turn up but I'm the only regular attendee.

Enjoy your MA ladies!

Same here.. But that's okay. I'm used to being in male-dominated environments. Also I guess it's a good thing because I'd rather fight someone stronger than me because that will only make me stronger if I have to use these skills. :)
  • reegsreegs Registered Users Posts: 50
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

Enjoy your MA ladies!

Same here.. But that's okay. I'm used to being in male-dominated environments. Also I guess it's a good thing because I'd rather fight someone stronger than me because that will only make me stronger if I have to use these skills. :)

I agree (with training against stronger people). I'm always telling the boys not to go soft on me "I'm not going to break" :)
    3B, Fine texture, normal or low porosity (I'm not sure)

Co-Wash - Say Yes to Cucumbers
    Conditioner - Tresemme Naturals
    DT - Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturising Conditioner
    Products - Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets Styling Potion, Jessicurl Confident Coils Styling Solution

Others I've used in the past:
    Conditioner - DeLorenzo Rejuven8 Condtioner
    Products - Sunsilk Curl Booster, Joico Joilotion, Garnier Fructis Styling Gel Endurance 24h

Enjoy your MA ladies!

I agree (with training against stronger people). I'm always telling the boys not to go soft on me "I'm not going to break" :)

Go tough girl you! :eye: ;)

Hey, can anyone recommend any good books on ju jitsu or aiki jitsu? My sensei is pretty good so far, if sometimes a bit wordy. I also have a decent video to practice with at home, but I wouldn't mind having something to read as an additional reference.
  • dannidanni Registered Users Posts: 12
    Hey I started practicing Muay Thai Kickboxing a year ago and fell in love with it. I love MMA as well UFC WEC Strikeforce can't get enough of it I am thinking of taking BJJ but not before I drop some pounds.
    Anyone have pix with you in your uniforms? I just bought a hakama and I loooove it (it's so damn cool)! I will post a pic as soon as I get a good one..lol :sunny:
    Anyone have pix with you in your uniforms? I just bought a hakama and I loooove it (it's so damn cool)! I will post a pic as soon as I get a good one..lol :sunny:

Okay I have a not great picture, but it's a picture nonetheless.

This is my class... if you can't tell I'm the girl. :wave:
    Verah :cool: BekkaPoo!
    Verah :cool: BekkaPoo!

Thanks WileE! ;-) Grrl power.. woo-hoo! :female:

My sensei thinks that I could be a first degree black belt within a year or so.. I think he's being optimistic, but I appreciate his vote of confidence.
    My sensei thinks that I could be a first degree black belt within a year or so.. I think he's being optimistic, but I appreciate his vote of confidence.

Wow, that is really impressive. Good luck.

My daughter is still going strong in her class. Sensei tells them to run laps and she does with a huge grin on her face.

Wow, that is really impressive. Good luck.

My daughter is still going strong in her class. Sensei tells them to run laps and she does with a huge grin on her face.

Thank you.. and to your lil one too. :thumbleft: Sounds like she's having a great time. I used to never think that martial arts training for kids was anything special, but now that I'm doing it, I wish I could have started at a younger age. If I ever have babehs they're all getting martial arts training.
    Thank you.. and to your lil one too. :thumbleft: Sounds like she's having a great time. I used to never think that martial arts training for kids was anything special, but now that I'm doing it, I wish I could have started at a younger age. If I ever have babehs they're all getting martial arts training.

I wasn't sure if I should post about her in this thread, with her being so young. I am kind living vicariously through her for a little way, so it is fun to watch her.

It is nice to know you would put your kids in it. Some people look at me a bit strange when I tell them about karate. Then they proceed to ask her if she is going to karate chop them. :rolleyes:

You certainly seem as if you are having as much fun as my daughter!! And, I love your picture.

I wasn't sure if I should post about her in this thread, with her being so young. I am kind living vicariously through her for a little way, so it is fun to watch her.

It is nice to know you would put your kids in it. Some people look at me a bit strange when I tell them about karate. Then they proceed to ask her if she is going to karate chop them. :rolleyes:

You certainly seem as if you are having as much fun as my daughter!! And, I love your picture.

Ahh.. you can't worry about "some people", especially considering your daughter's having a good time, she's learning something valuable, and she'll probably have more discipline than a lot of other kids. She'll only karate chop "some people" if she absolutely has to. :tongue::lol: I remember being terrified of ballet lessons when I was a kid-- lol that was the class that made me cry.

Edited to add: And thanks about the picture.. I'll post more when I have more.
    This is from last night.. I'm up for my first rank (kyu) on Saturday. :D
    Ohhh, don't mess w/ BekkaPoo! :D
    Awesome!
    matrix.gif
    Way to go. And good luck!!!
    Street Harassment that Led to Assault

Reposted from the New York Post:

An ex-con is back behind bars for groping a young woman in broad daylight as she walked into her SoHo apartment building, police sources said yesterday.

José Marrero, 32, allegedly stalked the 23-year-old victim for three blocks on Oct. 4 while saying, "Hey beautiful, come with me, let's go somewhere."

The suspect, who has done time for drug charges, pounced as she stepped into the lobby of her building on Varick Street near Broome streets at 8:30 a.m., sources said.

The victim tried to fight off the attacker, but Marrero allegedly threw her to the ground, rubbed his body against hers and molested her.

Two witnesses stumbled upon the attack, prompting the suspect to dash off, but the victim picked Marrero out of a photo array.

The suspect was arrested last Wednesday and charged with burglary and sexual abuse.

posted by Emily May at 1:36 PM

And thanks ladies.. I'm getting a little bit of test anxiety.. but I will do my best, that's all I can do.
    Good luck on your test!

I have a pic of myself from an article in Health Magazine that I was included in. If I can find it, I'll post.

My crush called me Kimbo Slice the other day. And he was surprised when I giggled that I knew who Kimbo Slice was. I then told him I took karate and that seemed to shock him a bit.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Good luck on your test!

I have a pic of myself from an article in Health Magazine that I was included in. If I can find it, I'll post.

My crush called me Kimbo Slice the other day. And he was surprised when I giggled that I knew who Kimbo Slice was. I then told him I took karate and that seemed to shock him a bit.

That is cool. How did you get into the magazine?
    Hope you find the pictures.
    I used to work in public relations and would hear about articles, TV programs, books, etc., that were in the works. Sometimes they were a fit for my clients, sometimes they were a fit for me.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

I'm up for my first rank (kyu) on Saturday. :D

How did you do?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file