at&t wireless users

DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
do you know if their is any way for me to read my son's text messages online?

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I doubt it unless you get a subpoena .

All you can see are the numbers he's texted and that have texted him.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    That sucks other companies let you read them online.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Is this a minor child? Is the phone in your name or do you pay the bills?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »

If this IS a minor child and the phone's in your name/you pay the bills, call ATT and ask if there's any way you can see the texts to that phone online.

You could always just tell your son to hand his phone over (if he's a minor/you pay the bill/phone's in your name).
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »
    misspam wrote: »

If this IS a minor child and the phone's in your name/you pay the bills, call ATT and ask if there's any way you can see the texts to that phone online.

You could always just tell your son to hand his phone over (if he's a minor/you pay the bill/phone's in your name).

Thanks. That was exactly what I was leading up to. :icon_smile:

And yes, tell, don't ask, if the above conditions apply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    The bigger question here is... how is a 10month old texting? ;)
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• hayseedladyhayseedlady Posts: 646Registered Users
    http://www.mymobilewatchdog.com/

I really considered using this. They have several options so you are current on what is being sent out and sent in to the phone
    SydneyCurl wrote: »
    The bigger question here is... how is a 10month old texting? ;)

Cause he's a freaking genius.... LOL J/K
    Yes he's minor child and yes we pay the bill. He's my 14 yr old stepson and he's been getting sneaky and deleting his messages.
  • InissantAngelInissantAngel Posts: 173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is there a reason you're monitoring all his personal messages?

If you have just cause to be invading what I'm sure he assumes is his privacy perhaps as others have said he shouldn't have a phone, or at the very least text messaging capability.

They really have a cell phone watch dog thing? Wow I am so out of touch and slightly horrified at the things kids that age are doing as a rule and not an exception.
    Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a lack of imagination. ~Oscar Wilde

There are only two ways to do things: right or over.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I agree with the poster above. Having a cell phone that does more than call you and 911 is a privilege. I would take the phone away or get him one that doesn't text. Seriously.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    I understand what you ladies are saying, but he's basically a good kid I'm more concerned about kids he talks to not really him, if that makes sense.
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    I agree with the poster above. Having a cell phone that does more than call you and 911 is a privilege. I would take the phone away or get him one that doesn't text. Seriously.

They have phones that don't text?
    http://www.mymobilewatchdog.com/

I really considered using this. They have several options so you are current on what is being sent out and sent in to the phone

Thanks I'll keep this handy just in case.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Delma wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there was one when we bought my MIL's phone last year. And there are phones for little kids too.

ETA: Or for $5 per month you can set parental controls over texting, times he can use the phone, etc. That's available through AT&T.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    You don't even have to get a special phone. You can just call AT&T and ask them to disable text messaging on his phone - he won't be able to send or receive.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    You don't even have to get a special phone. You can just call AT&T and ask them to disable text messaging on his phone - he won't be able to send or receive.

Yep, I disabled text on my own phone because I was tired of paying for texts my friends were sending me. If they want something that urgently, they can call. :)
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

I removed the texting part of my monthly package and my son can't text anymore because there's a charge per character now. He used to spend his time glued to the phone and did nothing but text.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    do you know if their is any way for me to read my son's text messages online?

Not with ATT wireless. The only way you can see the text messages is via subpoena. My son works for ATT wireless and gets calls like this all the time. Usually, it's husbands/wives wanting to see their spouses text messages. Even the rep on the phone cannot see what messages were sent.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sorry, I know it's your son and all, but isn't that a little bit of a privacy invasion?

To me that would bel ike my mom reading letters between me and a friend, Or snooping in a diary.

Which she did, but I don't think it's cool at all.

Seems like less of an intrusion and breach of trust if you handle the situaition in a different manner than spying on personal conversations.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I agree that it's an intrusion of privacy, if the child has given you no reason not to trust them. If you are suspicious of something for a good reason, I can understand why a parent might justify snooping.

If my kid was old enough to have a cell phone, I would have text messaging disabled altogether to control costs and so they're not glued to their phone all the time. Yesterday I took my son to a public park and there were two early-teenage girls sitting on swings texting away the whole time they were there. Why bother going to the park?

In my job before I had my son, I managed a large cell phone program for our members through AT&T. I had some customers call LIVID because their kids rang up hundreds and hundreds of dollars in texting charges, in a single month.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,317Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry, I know it's your son and all, but isn't that a little bit of a privacy invasion?

To me that would bel ike my mom reading letters between me and a friend, Or snooping in a diary.

Which she did, but I don't think it's cool at all.

Seems like less of an intrusion and breach of trust if you handle the situaition in a different manner than spying on personal conversations.

I agree. My mom used to open my mail(back when friends used to use snailmail) and read them and then say she opened it by mistake. She was nosy and a snooper, and it is beyond not cool.
    I get what you ladies are saying with regards to privacy , and I have considered that and will continue to but if their is ever an issue I want to be prepared, I don't want to be one of those ignorant parents who think they know what their kids are doing, cause reality is you never really know, no matter how good a parent you think you are!!!!!

As far as price we have unlimited text for the whole family so the price is minimal. And he is only allowed to be on in it during certain times and when we say times up we take the phone.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I get what you ladies are saying with regards to privacy , and I have considered that and will continue to but if their is ever an issue I want to be prepared, I don't want to be one of those ignorant parents who think they know what their kids are doing, cause reality is you never really know, no matter how good a parent you think you are!!!!!.

I hear ya. I think as a parent, you should give your kids some privacy, but if they give you a reason to, you do have a right to breach that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file