vegetarian, am i getting enough protein?

AlexandraAlexandra Posts: 25Registered Users
hi,
im 2b 2c and a few months ago i gut a super short cut ( in the middle of my jaw and shoulders) i absolutely hated it. i didnt want it that short so now im growing it out, il be happy a little below my collar bone and longer. 3 ish weeks ago i became vegetarian and i have no desire to go back to eating meat for a long time. although as i thought about my two commitments i realized that i get protein from meat and hair is made of protein, ive been really careful eating as much protein as possible, beans n stuff. is there any other ways to ensure my hair gets a little extra and grows long and mermaid like :) does that egg thing work?any other growing tips will also be greatly appreciated
~*~
growing out this summer!
type 2b 2c

visit my art page :)
http://happywatrmelon.deviantart.com/

event.png

Comments

• Sweetestk13Sweetestk13 Posts: 61Registered Users
    i recently stopped eating meat but then i came to the same realization about protein that you did so now until my hair grows out i allow myself to eat fish. fish is VERY good for your hair since it's lean protein (especially salmon) so im gonna continue with that until i grow my hair where i want it. i hope eating fish is an option for you.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a
    Fave Products: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Jane Carter Soulution: Nourish and Shine, Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade, Jane Carter Solution: Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Hair Now: Damaged chin length 3c/4a
    Short Term Hair Goal: Shoulder Length 3c/4a tresses
    Trying: That CG method everyone is raving about!
    Proud to be a curly gurl!
    :toothy8:
  • heartofcurlsheartofcurls Posts: 215Registered Users
    Beans have a lot of protein
    Co wash: GTTT Conditioner
    Rinse out: G 50:50 or GVPCB
    Leave In: GDLI
    Gel: KCCC and LA Looks Sport
    My HG is Pink Boots!
  • PoetrynMotionPoetrynMotion Posts: 28Registered Users
    I have been a vegetarian for over 16 years, and when I want to increase my protein intake I tend to eat more egg whites, nuts, seeds, tofu and beans. My hair has grown as long as tailbone length.
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Posts: 1,458Registered Users
    I've been a vegetarian for 18 years and I don't eat fish or even eggs. However, I eat lots of beans, nuts, peas, tofu, vegetables, etc. My hair is really thick. Once you increase your intake of these foods, you'll be fine. Oh and take vitamins too to get a balance, such as Cod liver oil tablets.
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Meat and fish are not the only sources of protein. There are many, many more sources.
    Most people, even vegans, get more than enough protein.
    If you are still worried, up your intake of beans, tofu, nuts and vegetables. You will be fine. I promise you.

I have been a vegetarian for a year and a half and my hair grows pretty fast.

Flax seed oil is just as good if not better than cod liver oil.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    Meat and fish are not the only sources of protein. There are many, many more sources.
    If you are still worried, up your intake of beans, tofu, nuts and vegetables. You will be fine. I promise you.

Is flax seed oil expensive? How much more hair growth have you seen since using it?
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PoetrynMotionPoetrynMotion Posts: 28Registered Users
    I've been a vegetarian for 18 years and I don't eat fish or even eggs. However, I eat lots of beans, nuts, peas, tofu, vegetables, etc. My hair is really thick. Once you increase your intake of these foods, you'll be fine. Oh and take vitamins too to get a balance, such as Cod liver oil tablets.

I would suggest taking cod liver oil only if you do not mind the presence of fish derivatives in your diet, as cod liver oil is derived from the liver of cod fish.
  • carberrycarberry Posts: 74Registered Users
    most people who answered this are right. i have been vegetarian for about 2 and a half years and my hair still grows about an inch a month. and yes beans have a lot of protein, and other vitamins/minerals :)
    but its not all about protein,
    here is other vitamins and minerals you should get:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Vitamins-and-Minerals-that-Promote-and-Stimulate-Hair-Growth-in-Men-and-Women&id=365850

almost all of them (if not all) come from at least one thing other than meat.

congrats on becoming vegetarian:)
    2a/f/miii/normal porosity
    wavy, hip length, very thick
    hair length journey:
    december '08 12 inches long, shoulder
    june '12 31 inches long, hip
    summer 2012 goal: in between hip and tailbone
    Ultimate goal: tailbone or or maybe classic length
    my hair loves henna !

:love5:

event.png

• Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users

Is flax seed oil expensive? How much more hair growth have you seen since using it?

No, not really.
    This is the one I was taking (yes, it has gelatin in it. I haven't been able to find any that don't, other than the oil in a bottle, which tastes utterly disgusting), but now I just sprinkle ground up flax seed on my food. It tastes much better.

I can't remember not ever eating flax seed or taking flax seed oil, though I know I used to take cod liver oil. I never have tracked how much it grows but it grows pretty fast.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    Ah, thanks alot. ^^

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OliviaRoseOliviaRose Posts: 83Registered Users
    Good luck on getting your protein up. I still drink milk and eat eggs... I'll slowly stop that soon. I would also recommend speaking with a nutritionist that are trained in the veggie and vegan way of life, it has helped me a lot.
  • elliephantelliephant Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hi. I'm a nutrition major and have been a vegetarian for 8 years (and I detest eggs, do not care for milk, and just stopped eating cheese/other dairy). Most Americans think they need way more protein than they actually do. You really only need 0.8g/kg body weight (if you excercise a lot, you should up it to about 1.2-1.8g/kg body weight). If you are eating a well balanced diet and are conscious of what are good sources of protein (and about protein combinations), you should be fine. Beans, nuts, whole grains, dairy and eggs (if you so choose), and soy products are all good sources (and soy is a complete vegetable protein). Good luck!
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Posts: 139Registered Users
    I'm so happy to see other vegetarians here! Like all posters, I get my protein via beans, lentils, tofu, nuts, soy products. I also train heavy for fitness competitions, so I need my protein and it can be done without meat!
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I've been vegetarian for around four years, I don't eat fish either nor gelatine, and I get my protein from vegetables, beans, nuts, and sometimes tofu.
  • Curlz a HotMessCurlz a HotMess Posts: 268Registered Users
    Hey! So I've been a vegetarian for about a year (go veggies!), and I am still in the process of getting enough protein as well. Your hair will still grow, even if you don't get exactly the amount you should get (even meat eating people don't), so don't worry too much about that. Eggs, beans, tofu, soybeans, and peanut butter are all good sources of protein. I find the two websites very helpful:

www.vegweb.com ---this website is for vegan's specifically, but works just as fine for vegetarians. I get most of my recipes from this site! They have everything from desserts, drinks, meals, and snacks!

www.vrg.com ---is purely informational, very few recipes.

FYI: Fish IS MEAT!!! I can't stress that enough! I can't tell you how many people have asked me if I eat fish--yes they are meat. They may swim around in water, but they are still meat. Are they a vegetable? They don't look like carrots to me! Are they a starch? The last time I checked you don't make fish from wheat. So....

BUT: You can be a pescetarian if you still want to eat fish. A Pescetarian ONLY eats seafood (fish, crabs, etc.). PLEASE do NOT call yourself a vegetarian if you only eat fish, because you are NOT a vegetarian if you still eat fish. There is a BIG difference. You're still eating meat, you're just not eating as much meat.
    Shampoo and Conditioner: Suave Professionals Humectant

Styling & Finishing: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum, Garnier Fructis Moisturizing Leave in conditioner

Sorry, but I LOVE to straighten my hair!

2B, a few 2C & 3A strands in there
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    firstly is it not true that protein from vegetarian sources is easier for the body to uptake then from meat??

This here is the flax seed oil I usually buy but I'm not sure it is available in US, it has a bit of a bitter taste but as long as I don't drown my salad in it or put it in my smoothie I don't mind it.

I also put LSA (linseed sesame almond) mix in my oats or smoothies. Read about it here. It may be helpful for you.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • AlexandraAlexandra Posts: 25Registered Users
    thanks everyone for all this wonderful advice! i have been taking faxseed oil pills and being more creative with my food, the only thing is i have to get around to buying more tofu! my mom was brought up very italian and she puts off buying it for me haha, i really love it though ;) thanks again to everyone for the advice and links :)
    ~*~
    growing out this summer!
    type 2b 2c

visit my art page :)
    http://happywatrmelon.deviantart.com/

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file