Protein sensitivity?

2_b_wavy2_b_wavy Posts: 19Registered Users
Ladies, can anyone tell me how I detect a protein sensitivity?

Thanks!

Sandra
2_b_wavy --> Living in Germany, the land with no infrastructure for wavies!
2 A type of hair, super fine but a lot, with highlights, Henna-coloured, overshoulder length, pretty porous towars the ends.
For me plopping makes a huge diffrence!
Also my hair loves to be co-washed and I use a sulfate-containing shampoo once a week! (otherwise my hair gets weigth-down)
Shampoos: herbal Essense deep cleansing, Jessicurl Lather shampoo
Conditioners: Jessicurl Aloeba Cond, Tiggi Foxy Curls Cond

Comments

• BackliteyesBackliteyes Posts: 91Registered Users
    Your hair may feel straw-like, dry, or be hard to comb through if you use protein and are protein-sensitive. That's the way my hair reacts to one type of protein it doesn't like, anyway.
    2bMii, normal porosity
    CG since 5/8
    :love2: Growing to natural color since 6/13
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    Poo: Jessicurl HCC, Giovanni TTTT
    Co/LI: LVPNG, Jessicurl Too Shea, Giovanni DLI, Honey
    Style: KCCC, Jessicurl RR/CC, BRHG, Crew Pomade, Jessicurl AIS
  • 2_b_wavy2_b_wavy Posts: 19Registered Users
    thank you....
    2_b_wavy --> Living in Germany, the land with no infrastructure for wavies!
    2 A type of hair, super fine but a lot, with highlights, Henna-coloured, overshoulder length, pretty porous towars the ends.
    For me plopping makes a huge diffrence!
    Also my hair loves to be co-washed and I use a sulfate-containing shampoo once a week! (otherwise my hair gets weigth-down)
    Shampoos: herbal Essense deep cleansing, Jessicurl Lather shampoo
    Conditioners: Jessicurl Aloeba Cond, Tiggi Foxy Curls Cond
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    I know my hair is protein sensitive. So is there a solution to this problem? How can we make our hair manageable with this problem when we need to reconstruct it or prevent it from breaking? Mine is dry and breaks all the time especially since I just had to move to an extra dry climate, and I try to condition the heck out of it (with moisture). Nothing seems to work at all :twisted:
  • Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    Protein sensitivity generally has to do with hair texture. If you have fine hair, there's a good chance your hair will benefit from a protein treatment or a conditioner that has protein in it. If you have coarser hair, your hair will likely be sensitive to protein since it already has a lot of protein in its structure. If you have medium textured hair, it's a bit trickier. Generally, if your hair is snapping off and is very inelastic, it will benefit from moisture - think emollients and humectants. If it is overly stretchy, try a protein treatment.
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Protein sensitivity generally has to do with hair texture. If you have fine hair, there's a good chance your hair will benefit from a protein treatment or a conditioner that has protein in it. If you have coarser hair, your hair will likely be sensitive to protein since it already has a lot of protein in its structure. If you have medium textured hair, it's a bit trickier. Generally, if your hair is snapping off and is very inelastic, it will benefit from moisture - think emollients and humectants. If it is overly stretchy, try a protein treatment.

Hmmm...I always thought that the finer your hair is, the more sensitive it is to any type of buildup, especially protein??
  • Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    Nope, it tends to like protein, whereas most coarse haired curlies can't handle protein, at least certain kinds.
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Great job of explaining.

Protein does not build up on the hair. Hair is made of protein. Finer (especially porous) hair doesn't have enough protein because of the damage. Protein "fills" the holes and temporarily repairs the damage and/or strengthens the hair.

Coarse hair is already rich in protein so adding more to it will overload it and make it extremely dry, brittle, straw-like and tangled. If you have coarse hair you will immediately know it.

TomorrowNeverKnows is correct about medium textured hair. It is a little trickier. Where fine hair needs protein on a regular basis and coarse hair needs it rarely, medium hair can use it occasionally and you need to experiment with how much and how often.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

Leave a Comment