V-shaped haircut or long layers? (new haircut)

vannessavannessa Posts: 31Registered Users
First of all, I am confused about what long layers are. I don't know if your hair has to be long in order for you to get a long layered haircut.

I'm looking for a new haircut and was wondering if someone could post a link of someone who has long layers (preferably curly) because I am confused about the cut.

Currently my hair is about 3 inches below my shoulders cut in layers. Would long layers be possible for me or should I get a V-shaped haircut? Would that look good with my curly hair.

My hair is 2C/3A.

Thanks a lot :happy3:

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Long layers just means that each layer isn't much shorter than the next longest one (maybe 2" between each layer? something along those lines). Most curlies do best with layering; it stops the dreaded triangle head. As for a V shape, I assume you mean the way it looks in the back? You can have that when your hair is layered too.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Look for a post by RedCelticCurls to see how a v-shaped cut looks in back - her new avatar shows perfectly why it's called a v-cut. That said, she probably also has long layers - most of us do to prevent pyramid or mushroom head, as Gemini said.

My own layers are actually shorter than I like right now so I could get more of some old color cut off.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • vannessavannessa Posts: 31Registered Users
    Thank you, but I am still confused about long layers. Are they the same as regular layers?
    I think it simply means just that - long as opposed to short. Long enough to still be able form complete curls but just short enough to remove some weight and allow it to curl better.

For my own hair, I don't like any of my layers to be shorter than chin-length (except maybe in my face frame), which on me amounts to no shorter than about 7 inches. Right now, some of mine are only about 5 inches and they don't form complete curls, giving me more sticky-outy bits than I would normally have.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Thank you so much =]
    Ok, so I went to a salon and one of the hairdressers told me that in order for me to get v-shape I would have to cut my hair to my shoulders in front and that since my hair is curly you wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

Is this true?
    I think that would depend on your hair's length and its condition. I'd think it'd need to be at least bra strap length or close to get it into a V shape without having the front at or near shoulder length

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    My hair is about two inches from bra strap, but I am trying to grow it out....I guess I will wait until then to get a V-shape. Thanks a lot for all your help =]
  • LadyLauraLadyLaura Posts: 8Registered Users
    vannessa wrote: »
    Ok, so I went to a salon and one of the hairdressers told me that in order for me to get v-shape I would have to cut my hair to my shoulders in front and that since my hair is curly you wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

Is this true?

Maybe she was talking about your hair in particular, but that's not true for all lengths...example, hair that is waist-length. You can definitely tell a V-Shape from a straight-edge cut.
    I typically ask for a U-shape with long layers.
    3a, fine texture, normal porosity, thick density.
    CO Wash - Burts Bees Pomegranate Conditioner
    CO - Giovanni Root 66
    Leave-in - AO B5 Design Gel plus a dab of Grapeseed Oil (my HG!!!!) :cheers:
    Gel - DevaCare Arc AnGell
    Love these videos: :thumright:
    http://curllove.blogspot.com/2008/03/styling-videos.html
    http://www.jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I like my hair best in a U-shape with long layers. Since I had mine cut off into a bob back in March, it's still not quite long enough to "U" it yet without making the sides too short, so I'm still waiting to get to that length. My hair does so much better in that shape than cut straight across.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ~
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    I have to say, I absolutely love my long-layers since I got them. My hair is arm-pit length when dry, even longer when wet. Long layers have done so much for me...I don't regret getting them at all. I highly recommend long-layers!
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm growing out a bob, I think it was a mistake, I'm trying again for long layers.
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file