"10 Reasons Why You Should Not Have An Afro"

OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
OH! This made me so angry!!!!! A girl from my highschool who is my "facebook friend" posted this note this morning.

10 reasons why you should not have an afro:

10. It looks like you are a retired clown.

9. People who decide at the last second not to commit suicide are more likely to fall on you for cushioning.

8. People will laugh at you if you don't have white bell bottoms on to go with it... oh heck, they'll laugh at you anyway.

7. Birds think of your hair as a vacant nest.

6. So do bats.

5. Afros take up lots of space.

4. Barbers secretly hide embarrasing objects in your hair while cutting it.

3. You can't wear that hat with the cute little propeller so easily.

2. Doors are much harder to walk through.

1. Dear Beni DISCO'S DEAD!

Maybe she was directing it at someone specific, but then why post it publicly for everyone to read? Or she read it somewhere else, thought it was funny, and copy-pasted it. Whatever her reason for posting, I found it unacceptable & couldn't resist leaving a comment:

Is there a "dislike" button? I'm wondering what people would think if someone with natural African hair posted a note, "10 reasons why you should not have straight Caucasian hair." If we (as a society) are incapable of accepting foreign (or not-so-foreign) beauty aesthetics, how can we possibly accept other aspects of racial diversity? Why does one type of beauty have to be the ONLY type?

It saddens me how many black women feel that they have to microbraid/chemically straighten/wear a weave in order to fit in with American and European beauty aesthetics. Do you know how damaging and painful those processes can be? Imagine growing up thinking you have "bad hair" just because it's kinky-curly and your mother doesn't know how to take care of it properly because SHE was never taught how to deal with her hair in its natural state either.

This isn't meant to be an attack, Beth. But I hope it might make you pause for a moment and think about what it is you've written.

Too harsh? I wanted to write more and elaborate on a few points, but I have a feeling that I will get my chance - the online drama will begin shortly. :confused5:
http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
I LOVE HENNA!

Comments

• CrystalRainCrystalRain Posts: 170Registered Users
    Too harsh? Not at all! I think you were spot-on with your commentary. I mean, for one thing, why post such a list in the first place? I, too, hate the concept that you must conform to a standard to be considered "beautiful" or even "attractive". Some people don't want to change everything - or anything - about themselves in order to feel loved and accepted, and in cases like hairstyles, why shouldn't they?

The thing that bugs me about this list is the use of "you should not". It's implying that all those people out there with beautiful 4a or 4b hair ought to iron it into submission just because of a few stupid reasons. What happened to accepting differences? Rrrgh. This kind of ignorance makes me angry.

EDIT: One thing I find funny about this, though, is the contradiction here:
    10. It looks like you are a retired clown

Okay... so wearing a propeller hat *doesn't* give a clownish appearance? :-?
    Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Started CG (properly) as of 6/31/2009.

Cowash | Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze or Juicy Green Apple
    Rinse-out | Burt's Bees Super Shiny
    Leave-in | Live Clean Intense Moisturizing
    Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).
  • ahtnamasahtnamas Posts: 116Registered Users
    Wow, Im proud of you Opera Curls!!! That was very well put. Our society is so ignorant when it comes to "what beauty is". I still have quite a few girlfriends who arent natural and say,"Girl, that looks good on you:afro:, but I dont think it would look right on me." Huh? The natural you wouldnt look good on you? Diversity is beautiful. Defining your own standards of beauty , and doing so with confidence, thats beauty.:thumbright:
  • PrettyMedusaPrettyMedusa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Fantastic response. I wonder if she'll give you a rebuttal. Probably something lame like "Take a chill pill, it was just a joke." Not that any of the items on there were witty or funny.
    Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
    Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well it doesn't surprise me. It's not as if the majority of blacks or whites think having an afro is a good thing. But, I feel like this.. a person can't help how their hair is naturally and to make fun of someone because of it is wrong and really makes the person that's doing the making fun thee A$$.

Now, people DO have a right to like what they like, dislike what they do, and do have a right to voice that opinion..but there is a such thing as tact and decency. You don't have to crush someone completely.

For instance, I am not the biggest fan of very short hair on women. I rarely see short styles on women that I just absolutely love, given a lot of them I think look good with short hair though..an example would be Halle Berry. But that same hair cut on Salli Richardson when she had it..I hated. But I loved Nia Long's hair short! Go Figure.

But if a person does have short hair and I don't like how it looks on them or the style of the cut, it doesn't mean I need to be negative toward them for opting for short hair. If someone asks me..well yeah then I just tell the truth and if I don't like it.. I will say I don't like it.

But to be hurtful about something a person is born with naturally due to no fault of their own and down them because they don't or can't alter their natural characteristics to suit others is beyond me.

I personally only have an issue if the person doesn't care about their hygiene and appearance at all when it comes to this whole "being natural" thing.. basically walking around funky, unclean, and unkept ..AND they have the power to do something about it. That's what bugs me.

I am like you can be natural and not be nasty and funky. I will give you an example of what I mean. I was reading this interview about Woody Harrelson. He was a guest star for a while on Will and Grace. Well he played Grace's boyfriend for a while on the show. And the woman that played Grace, Debra Messing expressed how she got that he was into the natural thing.. not wearing deodorant, and not using toothpaste and what not.. but she just felt he was absolutely offensive because sometimes he smelled bad and it bugged her that she just how to deal with it especially if he had onions or garlic for lunch or something. LOL!

Now that would have made me mad too! We all know doggone well Woody has access to fresh water and he could have used alternative methods to make sure he wasn't funky left and right on the set!

But I am not going to play like i am ABOVE saying I simply don't like a hair style but there's a difference in that and just being a jerk because you can...
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Fantastic response. I wonder if she'll give you a rebuttal. Probably something lame like "Take a chill pill, it was just a joke." Not that any of the items on there were witty or funny.

Yeah, pretty much. :disgust: She backpedaled and now I just look like a fool.

..........ummmmmmmmmmm....................okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Yeah... since a African American boy who HAS an afro WROTE THIS... I thought it was funny, so i reposted it. As... the Beni above. in fact... i'll go get him now and ask, why did he write this. lol

darlin. luv you. but i've posted notes you go way over and above and get worked up over... you shouldnt. i LOVE my black friends, and i think afro hair is AWESOME. and since i thought it was amusing i posted it b/c i wanted to make someone smile. NOT to make someone flip their gun. lol. haha, you and i are alike in so many ways. :p

Whatever. I didn't find it amusing, and I've only responded to one other note of hers when she was expressing her views on depression and self-destructive behavior. What can I say, I'm very opinionated and passionate about things I've experienced and dealt with, and it irks me when someone uninformed makes blanket statements. I still don't think she should have posted that, but I backed down from the conversation because it's just not worth the energy.

Thank you, ladies, for your responses. It's good to know that you don't think I completely overreacting to this.

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    Hmmm, that's some serious backpedaling. My question is, why not post that information initially since she didn't write it herself? You shouldn't feel foolish for voicing your opinions. You were perfectly right to do so.

I don't know. It just really annoys me when I contradict something and people say "Wow, calm down, it isn't a big deal!" For trivialities, sure, I never make a fuss. But on issues like this that have relevance, it could very well be a big deal for me.
    Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Precisely what I was thinking.

The anti-afro stance is bad enough, but I just cannot stand this garbage that passes for "humor." Who laughs at this kind of lame stuff, regardless of hair affiliation? It's just not funny by any standard. <shrug>

And opera_curls, your response was FANTASTIC.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    Don't worry. Just think of all the "fun" things people would say to you if you wrote an anti-straight hair top ten.
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    OH! This made me so angry!!!!! A girl from my highschool who is my "facebook friend" posted this note this morning.

9. People who decide at the last second not to commit suicide are more likely to fall on you for cushioning.

8. People will laugh at you if you don't have white bell bottoms on to go with it... oh heck, they'll laugh at you anyway.

6. So do bats.

Maybe she was directing it at someone specific, but then why post it publicly for everyone to read? Or she read it somewhere else, thought it was funny, and copy-pasted it. Whatever her reason for posting, I found it unacceptable & couldn't resist leaving a comment:

Is there a "dislike" button? I'm wondering what people would think if someone with natural African hair posted a note, "10 reasons why you should not have straight Caucasian hair." If we (as a society) are incapable of accepting foreign (or not-so-foreign) beauty aesthetics, how can we possibly accept other aspects of racial diversity? Why does one type of beauty have to be the ONLY type?

It saddens me how many black women feel that they have to microbraid/chemically straighten/wear a weave in order to fit in with American and European beauty aesthetics. Do you know how damaging and painful those processes can be? Imagine growing up thinking you have "bad hair" just because it's kinky-curly and your mother doesn't know how to take care of it properly because SHE was never taught how to deal with her hair in its natural state either.

This isn't meant to be an attack, Beth. But I hope it might make you pause for a moment and think about what it is you've written.

Too harsh? I wanted to write more and elaborate on a few points, but I have a feeling that I will get my chance - the online drama will begin shortly. :confused5:

Excellent response Opera_curls. Simply superb.:hello1:Here's a present just for you. :occasion1:

I don't think that was overly harsh at all. It never ceases to amaze me how it's still socially acceptable to make fun of or put down Afros, a pretty common aspect of the Black phenotype. This is right up there with the article by a White staffer at some popular magazine that said Afros were a "political" hairstyle and unsuitable for the workplace. Can you imagine the outcry this list would have gotten if it was "10 Reasons Why You Should Not Have Black Skin?" And then in all seriousness listed such inanity as "Nobody will be able to see you in the dark." "People will mistake you for the comic book character Venom." There is literally no difference. An afro is what comes out of my head naturally, it's a racial physical trait just like ebony skin is a racial physical trait.

And that list was complete nonsense anyway. Number 10? It also never ceases to amaze me that nobody sees that much of our social norms and caracatures are based on long held fears of Black people and our features. Clown hair is a commentary on how funny White people found poofy Black hair. Similiarly, we can't win. If we don't wear our natural hair out but choose to loc it- I then hear a lot of people call us who choose to wear our African hair in a traditional African hairstyle known as dreadlocks (that compliment tightly coiled hair) "Predator". This is supposedly witty to make the connection between Black people with dreads and the evil space creatures of a pretty popular horror movie whose head tendrils do bear a remarkable resemblance to dreads. Now even if you don't agree with me that writers and movie makers and the person who decided clown's hair should be BIG were basing them (conciously or unconciously) after African physical traits and styles, it still is unbelievably ridiculous to call a hairtype that grows outwards naturally "clown hair". My hair came first and the clown appropriated it. I refuse to be made ashamed becuase somebody has put my phenotype on something stupid or scary. Doesn't make my hair stupid or scary.

alien-predator-hybrid.jpg

The rest of the reasons aren't even funny and/or don't make sense. And of course are even less funny considering how many people who have tightly coiled hair and "radically" choose not to burn it straight are discriminated against daily becuase of this hairtype in the job force and in every day life. And at least two of the reasons cite a popular ignorance that makes my blood boil that I want to address- people talking about how unmodern type 4 hair is becuase it belongs in the 70's. God, people aren't very bright sometimes. Just becuase the 70's was the beginning of American Black people taking control over their African heritage, wanting to take pride in that heritage and refusing to be ashamed of being Black, DOES NOT mean Afros belong to Disco somehow. And once again, people "forget" afros are not a style, they are a hairtype just like straight hair, just like wavy hair, just like loosely curled hair. So if my coils and curls and kinks are not modern in how they come out of my hair follicle, neither am I but until someone comes up with a time machine to send me back to the 70's (where me and my hair belongs) people really need to shut up.

Yeah, pretty much. :disgust: She backpedaled and now I just look like a fool.

..........ummmmmmmmmmm....................okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Yeah... since a African American boy who HAS an afro WROTE THIS... I thought it was funny, so i reposted it. As... the Beni above. in fact... i'll go get him now and ask, why did he write this. lol

darlin. luv you. but i've posted notes you go way over and above and get worked up over... you shouldnt. i LOVE my black friends, and i think afro hair is AWESOME. and since i thought it was amusing i posted it b/c i wanted to make someone smile. NOT to make someone flip their gun. lol. haha, you and i are alike in so many ways. :p

Whatever. I didn't find it amusing, and I've only responded to one other note of hers when she was expressing her views on depression and self-destructive behavior. What can I say, I'm very opinionated and passionate about things I've experienced and dealt with, and it irks me when someone uninformed makes blanket statements. I still don't think she should have posted that, but I backed down from the conversation because it's just not worth the energy.

Thank you, ladies, for your responses. It's good to know that you don't think I completely overreacting to this.

Pathetic. She can backpedel all she wants, the original list speaks for itself. It was plain out racist and ignorant, no way around that. Thanks for attempting to knock some sense into her OC but some people choose to live their life in ignorance and there is only so much you can do. Keep fighting the good fight. But yeah, probably best just to let this one go. I agree with Jillipoo, it gets tiresome how people feel they can say any old thing nowadays as long as they put a 'jk' after it. People will similiarly put down Afro hair, I have seen it on this very site. "OMG I have an afro, it's so ugly. Eww, it looks like an afro. I'm so lucky I wasn't born with an Afro." But the new thing to do is shorten afro to FRO as if people won't notice you took one letter away. And that Afro is a direct shortening of AFRICAN. So this list is literally saying "10 Reasons Not To Have African Hair."

And I find it hilarous how she tries to bring a Black person into it. So predictable, "Hey, I'm not a racist/what I said wasn't racist becuase I got it from a Black person/Black people found it funny/I once lived next door to a Black person and I said hi to them every morning." Even IF this Black boy exists who apparently wrote the list, that makes zero difference. I would be offended no matter who wrote this list, in fact many Black people are still in the same mentality of anti-afro and anti-curl, being Black is no guarantee you have appreciation for Black features or you aren't racist against Black people.
    jillipoo wrote: »

Precisely what I was thinking.

The anti-afro stance is bad enough, but I just cannot stand this garbage that passes for "humor." Who laughs at this kind of lame stuff, regardless of hair affiliation? It's just not funny by any standard. <shrug>

And opera_curls, your response was FANTASTIC.
  • MJLoveMJLove Posts: 70Registered Users
    Killer response, Opera Curls! I don't think it was harsh in the least; if anything, you went easy on her. Too bad she's too dense to realize how racially charged and offensive her note was. All her pathetic rebuttal needed was the cliche, "Some of my best friends are black!", and she'd be the ultimate ignorant fool. Reading things like that incense me! I think afros are beautiful as well as incredibly stylish. Tell your friend that posting derogatory statements about a natural hairtype/style won't make "people smile"!
    And once again, people "forget" afros are not a style, they are a hairtype just like straight hair, just like wavy hair, just like loosely curled hair. So if my coils and curls and kinks are not modern in how they come out of my hair follicle, neither am I but until someone comes up with a time machine to send me back to the 70's (where me and my hair belongs) people really need to shut up.
    Haha, I'll hop in the time machine with you, back to the '80s where my loose curls belong! You can head back to the '70s, and the 3b'ers can go back to the Victorian era... because curls are completely unmodern and should never be worn outside their "era"! :roll: According to the pathetic logic in that Facebook note, we should either conform and fry our hair straight with irons and relaxers or mystically teleport ourselves into another era where our hair was cool. Talk about lame!

Great post, by the way! :)
    3a, wurly girl
    loving deva angell, aohr, and mill creek botanicals jojoba poo

• PrettyMedusaPrettyMedusa Posts: 619Registered Users
    OC, maybe you should send your "friend" a link to this thread so she can educate herself on WHY what she said is so offensive and see that there is a world beyond her nose and two-bit witticisms. :evil4:
    Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
    Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    10. People will know you for who you are. Now you can't lie and say you've "thought" about anything. People will only laugh when you use the word "thought" or "think"

9. You can no longer make jokes. People will always be thinking in the back of their minds "I bet this ignorant heffah REALLY thinks that!"

8. You can't carry on a conversation with nonignorant people. The moment they see you coming, they clear the room, especially if they've had a bad day and aren't in the mood to hear it.

7. Your mom talks about you behind your back.:confused2:

6. Your "friends" talk about you behind your back.

5. People who know you tend to "throw you under the bus": "Oh! I'm just her friend! You know I don't think like that, SHE does. I'm just hanging around her cause I feel bad for her..."

4. When someone starts a controversial conversation, if you're around, people glance at you anxiously. They may even end the conversation quickly before it starts to get good.

3. Your friends only talk to you about the newest shirt they bought or why they can't find any red pumps to go with it.

2. Your friends do not introduce you to new people.

1. You post dumba** ish on your Facebook page and think cause someone else did it first, it shouldn't be a big deal. "You people call yourselves the n word. Why can't I???"
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • MJLoveMJLove Posts: 70Registered Users
    ^ Oh dang! Brilliant post, Nubian curls! :)
    3a, wurly girl
    loving deva angell, aohr, and mill creek botanicals jojoba poo

8. You can't carry on a conversation with nonignorant people. The moment they see you coming, they clear the room, especially if they've had a bad day and aren't in the mood to hear it.

4. When someone starts a controversial conversation, if you're around, people glance at you anxiously. They may even end the conversation quickly before it starts to get good.

1. You post dumba** ish on your Facebook page and think cause someone else did it first, it shouldn't be a big deal. "You people call yourselves the n word. Why can't I???"

Lol, that's just awesome. And so true!

Gel | HESMU

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    10. People will know you for who you are. Now you can't lie and say you've "thought" about anything. People will only laugh when you use the word "thought" or "think"

9. You can no longer make jokes. People will always be thinking in the back of their minds "I bet this ignorant heffah REALLY thinks that!"

5. People who know you tend to "throw you under the bus": "Oh! I'm just her friend! You know I don't think like that, SHE does. I'm just hanging around her cause I feel bad for her..."

3. Your friends only talk to you about the newest shirt they bought or why they can't find any red pumps to go with it.

:notworthy: I'm in love! LOL!

I LOVE HENNA!
    MJLove wrote: »
    Killer response, Opera Curls! I don't think it was harsh in the least; if anything, you went easy on her. Too bad she's too dense to realize how racially charged and offensive her note was. All her pathetic rebuttal needed was the cliche, "Some of my best friends are black!", and she'd be the ultimate ignorant fool. Reading things like that incense me! I think afros are beautiful as well as incredibly stylish. Tell your friend that posting derogatory statements about a natural hairtype/style won't make "people smile"!
    And once again, people "forget" afros are not a style, they are a hairtype just like straight hair, just like wavy hair, just like loosely curled hair. So if my coils and curls and kinks are not modern in how they come out of my hair follicle, neither am I but until someone comes up with a time machine to send me back to the 70's (where me and my hair belongs) people really need to shut up.
    Haha, I'll hop in the time machine with you, back to the '80s where my loose curls belong! You can head back to the '70s, and the 3b'ers can go back to the Victorian era... because curls are completely unmodern and should never be worn outside their "era"! :roll: According to the pathetic logic in that Facebook note, we should either conform and fry our hair straight with irons and relaxers or mystically teleport ourselves into another era where our hair was cool. Talk about lame!

Great post, by the way! :)

Thanks, hehe yeah yep and looser curls belong in staterooms drinking tea. *Gasp* Get back in your ballgown MJlove! Or your brightly colored bangles and leotard from the 80's.

Yep, I sure hope someone makes that time machine soon so people will no longer be so confused by our hair's audacity to exist outside it's era, hopefully before they think about it so hard that their tiny brains explodes.

BUT if it's not in time, I won't be too broken up.

Outstanding. Now that's what I call humor. :viking:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Like this is a bad thing?! :laughing3:

I love my personal space.. if my fro scares you (gy), GOOD. 8)

016-vi.jpg
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I appreciate humor & I can even laugh @ myself, but for some reason I didn't think it was funny.
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

Like this is a bad thing?! :laughing3:

I love my personal space.. if my fro scares you (gy), GOOD. 8)

016-vi.jpg

Lol. I know right? These mouth breathers are so ridiculous complaining my afro is taking up their valuable space when the reality is the complete opposite. My fro does use up some space, true but anything that contributes value to society needs some room. What is the excuse of this list maker's brain? Hmmm?

My afro says it doesn't have time for this tomfoolery.
    hair234-th.jpg
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another thing:

Disco's not dead.. it's just evolved! ;) Shows how much they know.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • DeodandDeodand Posts: 159Registered Users
    Aside from all the other arguments against such foolishness - aren't afros and natural hair in fashion right now? I see way, way more natural 4-type hair on the street now than I did five years ago.
    2B low porosity low elasticity fine texture
    I'm not CG - tried it and failed for two years. My scalp hates it.
    Deodand wrote: »
    Aside from all the other arguments against such foolishness - aren't afros and natural hair in fashion right now? I see way, way more natural 4-type hair on the street now than I did five years ago.

Well depends on where you live, my smallish backwards city, not so much. On a regular day out and about it's still straight hair or weaves as far as the eye can see. I rocked my afro all by myself today at the local flea market, still getting the avid stares, it's that uncommon. :-(

I would love to live in New York though for this very reason, most of the type 4 naturals I see come from bigger more metropolitan cities.
  • erikaxelectrik7erikaxelectrik7 Posts: 90Registered Users
    I'm SO tempted to go post a "10 reasons to not have straight, caucasian hair" post now. I think you should post one...or maybe I'm just mean. Idk. Lol.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator

6. So do bats.

*YAWN*. It's not even offensive; it's just not funny at all.
  • DeodandDeodand Posts: 159Registered Users
    That's true KK, I live in a metro area of almost one million. Also we have a large 1st-generation African immigrant population here so there's a lot of excellent braids. I am envious :happy8:
    2B low porosity low elasticity fine texture
    I'm not CG - tried it and failed for two years. My scalp hates it.
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users

:notworthy: I'm in love! LOL!

*bowing* Thank you! Thank you very much!!! I'm here all night!!:eye: Thanks to all those who responded!! :afro:
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
    I'm SO tempted to go post a "10 reasons to not have straight, caucasian hair" post now. I think you should post one...or maybe I'm just mean. Idk. Lol.

I think that would be funny, as long as you are being satirical and making fun of the ridiculousness that is this list.
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users

6. So do bats.

Arghh :angry4: They put curls in such a bad light.
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    Sorry, I hope I'm not the only one, but I find that afro thing really funny, people shouldn't take things so seriously ;)
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

Sorry, I hope I'm not the only one, but I find that afro thing really funny, people shouldn't take things so seriously ;)

We will have to agree to disagree, perhaps if it was satire, but I got no satirical vibe from it. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those "we are half serious, half joking" things becuase really cinches it as non-funny to me is most people really believe some of this stuff. Was just reading Nick Aroyjo (sp) book on hair recently and his only advice for afro hair was to relax it becuase it was unmanageable, unversatile and unmodern. This stuff is for real, this list is amost verbatim what people with type 4 hair are being told, what I was told for most of my life. I have seen people on this very site bash type 4 hair, kinks, afros, etc as "ugly, ewww my hair looks like an afro, I look like a poodle/clown with my huge afro, glad I didn't get an afro, type 4 family members are sooo jealous of my looser curls," etc. And this is a site devoted to curly hair and type 4 hair gets little to no love from plenty of members. It's even worse in real life.

And I just read the other day another person has had to challenge their job for the right to wear their kinky textured hair to work since it's seen as "unprofessional". I find it hard to see the chuckles in this list becuase of this and more I guess but I can see how some people can.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file