moisture ...

followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
whats a good moisturizing products/ingredients that i can try at home?

I think I have too much protein and want to avoid any protein until my gets back on track.
3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
hair seems to be moody.
Does not seem to like oils
Does not like protein or too much?
Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.

Comments

• OliviaRoseOliviaRose Posts: 83Registered Users
    I use Qhemet's Biologics creams for my moisture, you can also try Oyin Handmade [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Whipped Pudding[/buylink]. Try coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, aloe vera gel or sweet almond oil to protect your hair from drying out.
  • followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
    thanks precious. I have been using shea butter oil but not much difference. I also was told that coconut is protein and i think my hair has enough, causing it to be dry and brittle. Atleast,that is what the girl at sephora told me. so, i did some research and apparently its true. UGH, how frustrating.
    hair seems to be moody.

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Look for products that have Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, and glycerin in them. I have very dry hair, and I noticed that products with these ingredients eliminates the dryness.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • ChrsLvsBksChrsLvsBks Posts: 117Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks precious. I have been using shea butter oil but not much difference. I also was told that coconut is protein and i think my hair has enough, causing it to be dry and brittle. Atleast,that is what the girl at sephora told me. so, i did some research and apparently its true. UGH, how frustrating.

Oh, no regarding coconut and protein. I am still trying to figure out my porosity and texture. This will be helpful, thanks.
    Hair: coarse texture; low porosity; normal density and elasticity
  • giegie Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Novice
    :love10:, I know that sounds weird but I have had great success with hair rinses containing marshmallow root powder (a la Anita Grant), and flax seed gel as a styler (a la Bodicelli? Babe), both of which are less about oil as moisture sealant and more about mucilage.
    Although I seal my ends with a whipped shea butter mixture, or they set me straight by getting frissy (frizzy + pissy). :color:
    HTH
    3c or OS, fine, spongy,SL
    Granier Fructis Shampoo (mo. post henna)
    Vo5 Vanilla Tea Rinsing Conditioner,
    Jessicurl Too Shea, and Confident Coils (post WDT)
    KCCC styler only on wet hair
    Banding with silk scrunchies (nightly)
    JBCO Sealer

My goodness, I just realized I am a PJ

• OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    gie wrote: »
    :love10:, I know that sounds weird but I have had great success with hair rinses containing marshmallow root powder (a la Anita Grant), and flax seed gel as a styler (a la Bodicelli? Babe), both of which are less about oil as moisture sealant and more about mucilage.
    Although I seal my ends with a whipped shea butter mixture, or they set me straight by getting frissy (frizzy + pissy). :color:
    HTH

Yes, marshmallow root rinses are lovely, marshmallow root and hibiscus rinses - send me to the moon:laughing5:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
    OnyxCabelo wrote: »
    HTH

Yes, marshmallow root rinses are lovely, marshmallow root and hibiscus rinses - send me to the moon:laughing5:.
    wow, they send you to the moon, it must be good! where do I find this? lol
    hair seems to be moody.

• orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    my hair's naturally very dry - with nothing in it it's really frizzy.

i like using mhc [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyHair-Mask-p-349.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=myhoneychild-honey-hair-mask]honey hair mask[/buylink] every couple of weeks and leaving it in overnight - the next day my hair's really soft. i also dilut aubrey honeysuckle rose with water to use every day, and coat my hair with it full-strength every week or so. most important though is i use mhc [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/MYHoneyChild-HoneyNutt-Conditioner-p-432.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=MYHoneyChild-HoneyNutt-Conditioner]honeynutt conditioner[/buylink] as a leave-in, makes my hair soft and hydrated.

• Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    Where does one get MHC products? Preferably in Canada or a website but in the states will do too since I go to Washington a few times a year.
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
    Greatcurls wrote: »
    Look for products that have Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, and glycerin in them. I have very dry hair, and I noticed that products with these ingredients eliminates the dryness.
    thanks for the info. I have to tell you , I had no idea, and it makes sense now. I modify CG because I use the Garnier conditioner it has these ingredients. Awesome.
    hair seems to be moody.

• sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    OnyxCabelo wrote: »
    HTH

Marshmellow root Rinse? Do you make this yourself? If so, how? I love products with MR in them but have never thought about a rinse with it.
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • giegie Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Novice
    It is like making a cup of tea but you don't drink it, your hair drinks it instead.

Mountain Rose Herbs is a really great online resource for organic herbs. From Nature With Love provides conventional cultivated sources
    Although I can go localvore and get little bags of herbs at the brick and mortar Vittamin Cottage in town just as well.

Although I do not know the price point of the products that you purchase, I would make a friendly wager that a batch of home made marshamallow burdock infusion is less expensive, not even counting the peace of mind that you will have knowing exactly what went into your hair product.

Assumption 1: Price Point
    1#/ $10.13 --marshmallow root (From Nature With Love)
    1#/ $33.66 --burdock root (From Nature With Love)
    1 gallon/ $24.25-- aloe vera juice (Vitamin Cottage)

Assumption 2: Batch Recipe
    1 t. marshmallow root powder
    1 t. burdock root powder
    4 oz. aloe vera juice
    Steep root powders in 6 ounces hot water. This will yield 4 ounces of infused liquid, after straining. I strain twice using a gold tea strainer. When cool compost root powders residue and mix infused liquid with aloe juice in spritzer bottle.

Assumption 3: Quantity
    I go through an 8 ounce batch of this infusion delivered by spritzer bottle about once a week. I use it as a leave in conditioner on wash day and then to moisten my hair before I band it up each night during the week.

To whit:
    To make a batch of marshmallow burdock aloe infusion costs $.58812 cents a week.
    3c or OS, fine, spongy,SL
    Granier Fructis Shampoo (mo. post henna)
    Vo5 Vanilla Tea Rinsing Conditioner,
    Jessicurl Too Shea, and Confident Coils (post WDT)
    KCCC styler only on wet hair
    Banding with silk scrunchies (nightly)
    JBCO Sealer

My goodness, I just realized I am a PJ

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file