BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee

curlsrock1105curlsrock1105 Registered Users Posts: 46
I have seen a lot of posts about this product, and I was wondering if y'all have any advice/recommendations about it. I'm thinking about trying it, but I wanted to get some input first. Have you tried it? Did it work for you? What were the results? Thanks! :lol:

Comments

• curlsrock1105curlsrock1105 Registered Users Posts: 46
    Never mind! I just saw the price for it! LOL :lol: Any other gel recommendations?
  • liv2dance4liv2dance4 Registered Users Posts: 129
    Are you following Curly Girl routine? I use BRHG for smoothing frizz once hair is partially dry - I don't like it as an oveall gel. I would not buy it again. I do love Ouidad TressFX right now- not crunchy, good definition, soft curls, pretty good hold - could be stronger.

If you're looking for super strong hold and drugstore prices - Got 2 Be Spiked Up Gel is good and there are a few people on this site that use it and could give you more reviews. I've used it in the past and liked it. But its not CG friendly.
    3a color-treated
    Ouidad- Curl Quencher Poo/Dish, CHS Curl Keeper, Innersense Sweet Spirit and QCCC, Climate Control Gel, Tress F/X, Redken Fresh Curls Spray Gel
  • RaindiamondsRaindiamonds Registered Users Posts: 218
    La looks sport gel is at drugstore,works good
    My hair is naturally curly,very long thick corkscrew curls that are 3Braindiamonds.gif
    http://whatsnew.fotki.com/raindiamonds/
    will add more curl pics soon,thx
    La looks sport gel is at drugstore,works good,nice price
    My hair is naturally curly,very long thick corkscrew curls that are 3Braindiamonds.gif
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Registered Users Posts: 558
    I 2nd the LA Looks. Doesn't get any cheaper than that. Honestly, the Biolage isn't that spendy, and Sally's does make a knock off for around $5, but the hold isn't as strong. I like Got2B also, but it's a thick style gel, & I prefer something more liquid I can distribute more easily. Special f/x is good for this. Pantene Curl gel is also decent for the price. And Herbal Essence gels are very good: Set Me Up is stronger hold, and Totally Twisted more of a medium. Both of these are $3 range.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    is this discontinued? i don't see it on the site or at the store =(
    3b-3c CG
    la looks sport gel is at cvs pretty cheap
  • CurlellaCurlella Registered Users Posts: 38
    I'm gonna look for this LA looks GEL I went to their website and it appears they have one just for curls, too :shock: exciting! I loooooove cheap things, lol.
    Address : http://public.fotki.com/curlella/
    password: there is no password anymore!
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Registered Users Posts: 130
    I love the Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel. It's CG, organic, relatively cheap (around $7), has a good hold, and tames frizzies. Can't get any better (in my opinion)!
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I love BRHG. I have days when I don't want to deal with how thick it is, so I use something else and don't get as good curl formation or hold. I recently swapped for CHS Curl Keeper which I use to dilute a bit of BRHG in my hand -- but my curls are not as good as BRHG alone. It's worth the spend, IMO, because I usually get great hair when I use it. Overstock.com occasionally carries a very large bottle for $25-30 and it's definitely worth it to stock up with a bottle of that and refill smaller ones as needed.

There is a thread somewhere about an Alba firm hold gel that people liked as much as BRHG. I ordered this from vitacost recently but haven't received the shipment yet.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • aliquotaliquot Registered Users Posts: 227
    I'm in the same quandry...I can't decide between BRHG/LALSG/HESMU! Anyone know which one is the most easily distributed? Like...more liquidy, I guess?
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I havent used LA gel. But I find HESMU to be slightly more liquidy than BRHG, and it does not give me the hold or good curl formation I get with BRHG. Because of the unreliable results for me, I use HESMU only on "no event" weekends or when doing a ponytail or bun. I won't repurchase it even though it's not expensive.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    I love BRHG, but I did have to play with the amounts to get it down. It works unlike any other gel I've tried. I can only use 3 tiny pea-sized amounts for my whole head, or I get a weighed-down, plastic-y look. However, it does seem to work better for me in the winter than the summer.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice
    Spiralli wrote: »
    I love BRHG. I have days when I don't want to deal with how thick it is, so I use something else and don't get as good curl formation or hold. I recently swapped for CHS Curl Keeper which I use to dilute a bit of BRHG in my hand -- but my curls are not as good as BRHG alone. It's worth the spend, IMO, because I usually get great hair when I use it. Overstock.com occasionally carries a very large bottle for $25-30 and it's definitely worth it to stock up with a bottle of that and refill smaller ones as needed.

There is a thread somewhere about an Alba firm hold gel that people liked as much as BRHG. I ordered this from vitacost recently but haven't received the shipment yet.

Do you use only BRHG or do you use other styling products with it?
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • thecurly1thecurly1 Registered Users Posts: 103
    Im really interested in trying it also I need strong hold and definition! is this all u need to use or do u mix it with something else?
    Armed with the Curl Analyzes!!!
    3b,3c
    texture: Fine
    porosity: Normal
    elasticity: Low

co:wash: V05 kiwi lime, CJDF
    condish: TS avocado and aloe, GPV cond balm, Yes to carrots
    leave in: KCNT
    styling: LOVE FSG.. CK, BRHG, CJCQ KCCC, LaLSG
    protein: CJ rehab
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/thecurly1-albums-journey.html
    And yes I'm turning into a PJ :thumbup:
  • 1001waves1001waves Registered Users Posts: 73 Curl Novice
    Make sure to use a leave-in underneath, or you will never, ever be able to SOTC...

Otherwise, I can attest to the fact that it has been raining all day, the rain got at my hair under the umbrella, and BRHG has allowed to have the least amount of frizz on a rainy day I have ever seen! (No-frizz hair on a rainy day of course being as rare as a unicorn...)
    Cherub 2c/3a Fii,porous
    Wash:KC Come Clean
    Condition/Leave-in:Devacurl Delight
    Styling:
    AG:Recoil
    Love:protein Hate:Garnier
    Experiment:henna glossing
    Mod CG since 7/22/09
  • sharon5152sharon5152 Registered Users Posts: 207
    I love to mix it...a little with CIAB is great; it's also great with AOMM. I love it when I need a little extra hard hold with the curl enhancers
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

http://public.fotki.com/sharon5152/
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    1001waves wrote: »
    Make sure to use a leave-in underneath, or you will never, ever be able to SOTC...

I never use a leave-in, and I've never had any trouble SOTC with BRHG. This is probably the only gel I've tried that doesn't give me any trouble. Curl Junkie CQ is like cement on my head, same for Got2B gels, and KMS Cranberry Pepper is only slightly better, to name a few. I wonder why that is?
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • hockeyruleshockeyrules Registered Users Posts: 95
    i use BRHG with the HETT; a decent puddle of HETT and just a pea size drop of BRHG. Get great results

curlykey wrote: »
    Spiralli wrote: »

Do you use only BRHG or do you use other styling products with it?
    CG since the book came out!!

Products
    -Shampoo: - Edens co-wash
    Conditioner: Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks curl renew, CJ Argan oil, Mop Top daily conditioner
    Leave-in's: above
    DT: GVC
    Curl Cream: SMS
    Stylers: Curly Kinks Coil Jam, Mop Top
  • SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    I VOTE FOR LALSG!

:wav:

I can use it alone, with a leave in condish, with an oil, with both, and it works EVERY TIME! It has never let me down. I always look at BRHG's price tag like :angry1:. There's no way you're TEN time better than my LALSG! *hugs ginormous bottle of gel* Oh AND it has protein, which is always a good thing for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file