We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

pickled beets

goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
Do you like them?

I can eat enough of them to make myself physically ill. It's kind of sad, but not really. Is this a southern thing????
________
Vaporizer Review
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Sweetie83Sweetie83 Posts: 110Registered Users
    I was born and raised in the South, and I LOVE pickled beets! They go great with Thanksgiving dinner :D
    Hair Type: 3c/4a

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a b****. You've got to go out and kick a$$." Maya Angelou
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Not a southern thing, I don't think. My very Irish, native New Englander Gramma made them all the time. Yum! :D
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I live in Pittsburgh and *love* them!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Ah, we're Irish too, so maybe that's it. Man I love them!!!!
    ________
    AvaLee
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I have never tried them pickled. Being from Eastern Europe I eat plenty of beets in other forms - beet salad, borscht, beets and herring. And I do love them, esp. roasted. I tend to be picky about pickled things so I will either love or hate them, I bet.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    geeky wrote:
    I have never tried them pickled. Being from Eastern Europe I eat plenty of beets in other forms - beet salad, borscht, beets and herring. And I do love them, esp. roasted. I tend to be picky about pickled things so I will either love or hate them, I bet.

They are the only pickled thing I will eat. Has anyone ever had Harvard Beets? Or is that just something my Gramma made up? They are sweet/sour beets. Yummy!
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted no. I had a traumatic beet experience as a child and cannot stand the sight of them to this day. :cry:
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    i disliked them as a kid, but now i enjoy a couple when visiting a salad bar.
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    Hmm. I thought I had tried beets in all its forms, but I've never tried 'em pickled. Wonder if I can get 'em here in Chicago.
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • skywatcherskywatcher Posts: 429Registered Users
    It is the only pickled thing I will eat too :lol: I am a farm girl & I grew up on that sort of thing :) I luv me some pickled beets! 8)
    3a/2c
    Long layers, past BSL
    Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
    SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
  • gggg Posts: 1,865Registered Users
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    i disliked them as a kid, but now i enjoy a couple when visiting a salad bar.

Same here, althought I wasn't so fond of them as a kid I still ate one or two when my mother had them for dinner. They taste like dirt to me.
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Love 'em!

My mom used to make pickled herring salad...herring in white wine/vinegar, potatoes, pickled beets, chopped hazelnuts, apples...yum! OK, everyone who wasn't German hated it.

I even pickled my own beets last summer, but they tasted just like Aunt Nellie's in the jar (which is so much easier).
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • funkymunkycurlfunkymunkycurl Posts: 83Registered Users
    I don't like them at all. I think they taste like nail polish. I got caught in Hurricane Wilma during my vacation and the hotel had made pickled beat sandwiches for us to eat. I'm thankful that we had food to eat during that time, but if I never see another pickled beat for as long as I live it will be too soon. yuck!
    Formerly known as colomunky.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,716Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Love them. I grow my own beets and pickle them. The best part is the color! Beautiful. And they just don't taste as good if I use white beets.

ditto geeky - roasted beets are yummy.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users

ditto geeky - roasted beets are yummy.

ummm, hmmm :wink:
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    You know, I haven't had them since I was a kid, but I remember liking them okay. I may have to try them again.
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Posts: 432Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like them.

Pickled turnip is better. YUM.
    3C/4A and too long to handle (and afford!)
  • CanocurlsCanocurls Posts: 170Registered Users
    Nope, it's not a southern thing at all. Where I live people make pickled beets every fall. I love them. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Remember Rosa
    Type: 3/4
  • chgurlsngchgurlsng Posts: 137Registered Users
    I'm another Pittsburgh girl (living in OK) and I LOVE pickled beats. My mom always throws a couple of hard boiled eggs into the brine and they turn pink and are soooo yummy! We only have them at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    I can't wait...

-Char
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    B-wavy wrote:
    I voted no. I had a traumatic beet experience as a child and cannot stand the sight of them to this day. :cry:

I had a traumatic beet experience as a child, too! I was having lunch in a restaurant with my grandma (a big treat) and I ordered a turkey club sandwich. I thought the little round purple thing on my plate was cranberry sauce -- wouldn't that make sense, with a turkey sandwich? No, it was a beet. I was completely not expecting that taste and it put me off beets.

But my dad always loved pickled beets.

What was your traumatic experience, b-wavy?
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    chgurlsng,

I *love* pickled eggs. I was thinking about buying some today, interestingly. I'll have one for you! :)
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    SuZen wrote:
    B-wavy wrote:

I had a traumatic beet experience as a child, too! I was having lunch in a restaurant with my grandma (a big treat) and I ordered a turkey club sandwich. I thought the little round purple thing on my plate was cranberry sauce -- wouldn't that make sense, with a turkey sandwich? No, it was a beet. I was completely not expecting that taste and it put me off beets.

But my dad always loved pickled beets.

What was your traumatic experience, b-wavy?

Oh my! Yes, I can see how that would be a real turn-off if you were expecting nice cranberry sauce!

Mine was when I was pretty young, maybe 6 or 7, so I guess it's one of those things were my palette wasn't very developed yet and I just didn't like the strong smell of them and wouldn't eat them which normally wasn't a big deal -- everyone has things they don't like. One night at dinner my mom, for whatever reason, kept pestering me throughout the meal to "just try one" and I didn't want to. I guess my dad wasn't in a very good mood that night, and was getting tired of it, so he got really angry and told my mother to put some on my plate and told me that I was going to eat every one of them until they were gone, or I could sit there all night.

I tried, but they truly made me gag. So I sat there. Everyone else finished their meals and cleared the table, and I sat there. My older brother and sister went to bed, and I sat there. I was practically falling asleep into my plate (but woke quickly when I smelled the beets!), and still I sat there. My dad was sitting in stony silence about 10 feet away in the living room throughout all of this. Finally, my mom quietly got up and took me in to bed. Not a fun memory....and they still make me gag to this day.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    I love all kinds of beets!

For Easter, we would always have beets mixed with horseradish (can't remember what it's called).

Look on the bright side, they're a great source of antioxidants!
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    another pickled beeter in the house! :P
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,716Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks to you guys I had to go get attacked by deer flies so I could dig a bunch of beets and pickle 'em. They are yummy tho!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    Damn you spammer!!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Blech! Fresh beets taste like dirt. Pickled beets taste like dirt and vinegar.

Yes, I know why they taste like dirt. They're grown in dirt. But potatoes are grown in and taste like dirt too, but I love them.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Now I want beets!
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    thelio wrote: »
    Now I want beets!

Me too. Spammer bumped it up and got me craving beets.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone...

This much excitement over beets????? :confused:

My mother made some beets recently that were OK. She cooked them how she makes sweet potatoes (sugar and butter). They were edible. Like dirty sweet potatoes.
    3c/4a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file