I know you guys won't like this but I need HELP!!

dont worry be curly!dont worry be curly! Posts: 144Registered Users
Ok so I rarely straighten my hair like almost never
but for my upcoming dance competitions I need to have straight hair it's nothing against curly hair it's just the since we are doing sort of a play my character has straight hair so i really need help!!! The problem is my hair is really hard to straighten and doesn't straighten well. Do you guys have any tips??? Am I doing something wrong??? I love my curls but I really need to Have them straight for my dance competitions!! Thank you sooooo much!!
~~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. --Dr.Seuss

~~Don't cry because it's over smile because it happened.--Dr.Seuss:color:

We are all fools, whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance! :)

Comments

• Sweetestk13Sweetestk13 Posts: 61Registered Users
    my hair is really hard to straighten too. i only get good results when i get it professionally done. is that an option?
    Hair Type: 3c/4a
    Fave Products: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Jane Carter Soulution: Nourish and Shine, Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade, Jane Carter Solution: Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Hair Now: Damaged chin length 3c/4a
    Short Term Hair Goal: Shoulder Length 3c/4a tresses
    Trying: That CG method everyone is raving about!
    Proud to be a curly gurl!
    :toothy8:
  • Rebecca 1995Rebecca 1995 Posts: 118Registered Users
    i don't know how you straighten your hair, but i know that when my hair is blown dry first, and then flat-ironed, it looks better. good luck!
    Hair type: 2c - 3b!! o and its thick =]]

Currently Using:
    -John Frieda Daily Nourishment leave-in conditioning spray
    -Alberto VO5 Curvaceous Curls Styling Mousse
    -Living Proof No Frizz, Wave Shaping/Curl Defining Styling Cream (thick to coarse hair)
    I HEART CURLS <3
  • SpeedGoddessSpeedGoddess Posts: 118Registered Users
    My hair doesnt straighten well either...

Heat protectant!!! I used a CHI heat protectant last time that didnt have any 'cones. I triple-checked, lol. I know that when I flat ironed, my hair bounced back okay. I didn't have any problems like I used to before I went CG, which was a concern. I've heard that if you blow dry with a flat or paddle brush first, it comes out better. But be VERY careful, 'cause it'll cause breakage. The more gentle you are, the less it'll cause. Make sure you have it combed out VERY well with your fingers first so it won't snag on the brush as much.

I hope I helped at least a little!
    Hair type: 3B

CG since: Dec '08

(Johnson&Johnson No More Tears Shampoo when need help with build-up), Suave Naturals condish, leave some in, LaBella Gel, then out the door!

You only live once...make it count

• vagueparadoxvagueparadox Posts: 8Registered Users
    Hi! I don't know what kind of hair type you have, but when I straighten my hair (which I haven't in a while haha), I use a straightening gel in soaking wet hair (this is the trick for me!), then blow drying it with a heat protectorant, then straightening it with a flat iron works best. Then, use cream (straightening cream if you can find or borrow some will help a bit) to tame frizzies if needed.

Warning though, while my hair is pretty dry normally, it would get oily fast when I straighten, because it takes so much product to stay that way!
  • happycurls24happycurls24 Posts: 263Registered Users
    In the shower I used a straightening shampoo and conditioner. Afterwards I put in my usual products (nothing curl defining though) and then I would put in Frizz Ease Straightening Balm. I think this product is probably not CG and because I haven't straightened my hair in about two or three years I am not even sure if they make it... but it really helped the straightening process and helped keep my hair straighter for longer.
    Then I braid my hair so that when I take it out it is less curly and a little easier to straighten.
    Use a good straightener and good luck.
    hope it helped a bit...:flower:
    Hair Type: 3b /3a?.... medium texture, normal porosity:afro:

Conditioner:
    Aussie Moist

Shampoo: Organix Shampoo

Other products: Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam Mousse, LA looks Sport gel, & whatever is cheapest for a frizz serum.

:blob:
  • dont worry be curly!dont worry be curly! Posts: 144Registered Users
    my hair is really hard to straighten too. i only get good results when i get it professionally done. is that an option?

Yeah it's so frusterating!!!!! I don't wanna permanetly straighten my curls though because I love them!!!! Thanks for your idea though
    ~~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. --Dr.Seuss

To everyone that has replyed so far!! Thank you so much for all your advice and tips thank you so much I am going to try them all out!! thanks!!! and I would live more tips they would be appreciated!!!

• Lil'curlsLil'curls Posts: 275Registered Users
    Would going to a salon and having one of the stylists there blow dry your hair straight or use a flat iron be an option?
    Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
    Shampoo: DCLP
    Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
    Co Wash: Suave
    Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
    Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

lil curls that could be an option, but I would rather do it at home and not spend the money... but thanks for the idea!!!:laughing6:

• Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    Blow dry and flat iron.
  • thickcurlygurlythickcurlygurly Posts: 230Registered Users
    hmmm... why don't you just order an instyler! just kidding lol
    conditioner: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in co: GVP conditioning balm

And my hair hates avg :happy3:

Yes I consider myself obsessed with my hair. :happy7:
  • Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    How well your hair straightens will largely be dependent upon what flat iron you use. One with high heat (370 degrees +...I have 2c coarse thick hair and use 450 degrees), tourmaline (preferably) or ceramic plates, and even heat distribution will work best. I use a Solia flat iron on my bangs daily and once in awhile on all my hair. I used to use it daily and it worked great.

As far as products go, I sometimes put something in while my hair is wet but find that it doesn't help too much. I use Matrix Sleek.Look Iron Smoother on each section of hair before straightening, and then I put Joico Joifix Firm hair spray on each section after. If I don't use either of these products the results are disastrous.
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • lodylody Posts: 334Registered Users
    If you have time, put your hair into two quite tight pigtails and twist them into tight buns, then let that dry. I do that sometimes (because it keeps my hair entirely out of my neck xD), and when I take them out at the end of the day my hair is completely smooth on top, and only slightly wavy on the bottom. Then you could probably easily straighten that wave out with an iron.
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• crazycurlz427crazycurlz427 Posts: 46Registered Users
    instead of just blowdrying, blowdry your hair straight by pulling a brush through right before the dryer. Its bad for your hair ( i know) but only once in a while is ok. when you are finished it will be poofy, but straight, then straighten it with your flat iron

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file