Chrematisai

LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hi and welcome to nc.com!

I've been reading your posts and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

What products are you using?
Are you CG, modified CG or not at all? (Do you use shampoo?)
Do you have a microfiber towel?

And a comment .. throw away the brush/comb if it makes your wavy hair straight :lol: !

You mentioned you were having trouble with your products as far as how much to put on. Tell us what you're using and we can help direct you better :D .
CG-modified since 4/05
2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
Best definition winner: KCCC
Best volume winner: LOOB

Comments

• ChrematisaiChrematisai Posts: 85Registered Users
    Hi! Thanks for the welcome - I feel special :D

I'm CG - I only use shampoo (and then only baby shampoo) when I need to straighten my hair for whatever reason - and thats only in an emergency, like when I run out of gel. I haven't straightened my hair more than about 4 or 5 times since March.

So far, my budget hasn't allowed me any room for experiementing in terms of products at all, so I use Finesse conditioner for normal hair, and Dippity Do gel, level 8 or 9 hold, usually. Actually, just today, I bought a couple of new products, cause I just got a job and now have money to work with :D. They are Marc Anthony "curl defining lotion" and Joico medium hold gel. I'm actually waiting for my hair to dry as I type, but so far, it looks promising. I see no real reason to change my conditioner choice, however, cause it works.

Lately, the cheap gel has been working acceptably, but even at the best of times, its been ever so slightly crunchy, and now I'm sort of shopping around for a product that will give me the level of hold that I need (which is fairly firm) and leave it feeling nice and soft. Also a product that allows for morning after hair (and morning after morning after hair, if possible) is greatly desired, as I'm a fairly low maintenance type of person and don't really desire to spend an hour or so a day waiting for my hair to dry. I like being able to spritz my hair in the morning and go. I usually style mine at night too, then pin it up loosely while I sleep. Usually, I only need to touch it up slightly come morning.

I still have my wide toothed comb, and I use that occasionally when my hair is wet, and I only keep my brush to sing into :wink:

Oh, and no, I don't have a microfiber towel. How much of a difference do they make?
    "A face without freckles is like a night without stars"

~Jenny
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    First thing .. check the Finesse conditioner. I was looking at my hubby's (he's been washing with conditioner for years!!) Finesse and see if it has these ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetrimonium Chloride, Silk Powder (Serica), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Dimethiconol, Quaternium-18, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, TEA Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

The bold ingredient is typically one a CG girl wants to stay away from. Some wavies/curlies do okay with it, but it requires a regular (sulfate) shampoo to wash it out. Dimenthiconol is also a cone, but I think it's water soluble.

A microfiber towel is one that you can get in the auto department at Walmart or Target. I got 3 in a package, about the size of a big handtowel. The fibers don't cling to your hair, causing frizz. You can use it to soak up the water as well as to scrunch with after putting products in.

The one gel you'll probably get alot of recommendations for is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee to give you the hold you're looking for. SuZen also recommends a cheaper version called Hask Love it Straight Gel (despite the name!) you can get online and maybe at Ulta if you have one locally. Sally's Beauty Supply almost might have a knockoff version of the Biosilk RHG.

As for second day hair .. I don't have it so you'll have to look around in the General Board. Go back a few pages as that topic comes up quite a bit.

Hope you get some more feedback!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    Wow, that adds some complications to my life. Normally, I just scan the ingredients for things that end in "cone" and if there are none, then I'm thinking that the product is safe. So there are cones that don't end in cone? Bah. Maybe that's why my wave tends to fade into near nothingness if the gel I'm using isn't strong enough. I'm pretty much a wavycelli when wet, but it goes much more limp as it dries. Mostly, I'd like to see if theres a way that I can keep that apparent wavycelliness even after it's dried.

Is there anywhere that lists all the cones, and whether they're water soluble?

Today I was actually looking around a beauty supply store in my area, and they had biosilk products, but not the rock hard gelee, sadly, so the search continues. Thanks for all the tips, they are greatly appriciated.

Any tips anyone might have about cutting wavy hair dry vs. wet would be wonderful, too, as I'm considering a shorter cut (it's about down to the bottom of my shoulder blades, currently). I'm wondering also if my hair will get more or less wavy as the length is taken off.

Thanks again!

~Jenny
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, there are some cones that don't end just in -cone. I tried to look for the master list on all of them but can't find it (I'll keep looking). Searching for something on here isn't always easy! You might want to post on the General Board and see if someone has it saved.

I think most curlies go for dry cuts when they can. She always dampens mine, but I'm cheap so I go to a cheap place and my hair always comes out fine.

You're likely to end up with more waves and even some curls if you go a little shorter.

I'm betting if you try and cut out the shampoo, condition-wash and use some good gels, you'll find your hair becoming wavier.

You might want to try some good curl-enhancing products. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Jessicurl's Rockin' Ringlets[/buylink] is good for that, is a good price and can be purchased here at CurlMart.

Welcome to the complicated world of wavy/curly hair :lol: !
    CG-modified since 4/05
    I found a list of 'cones. http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/ Sweetpeacurli has a site devoted to curly hair care, and she has a list on there. I'm discovering how hard it can be to find 'coneless conditioners! There was only one kind at the drugstore near my house - I just wanted to cut the 'cones out altogether. And wish me luck in my hunt for a good stylist.

~Jenny

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file