CurlTalk

Spinoff: Sexual Orientation Scale

Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
I agree with others in the original Sexual Orientation thread that there is more to it than just "homosexual", "heterosexual", or "bisexual". I think something like the Kinsey Scale (www.kinseyinstitute.org) explains things better. So, where do you lie on the scale?

0- Exclusively heterosexual with no homosexual
1- Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual
2- Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual
3- Equally heterosexual and homosexual
4- Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
5- Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual
6- Exclusively homosexual
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I used to say 3 but the more I think about this (and I do pretty regularly), I believe I am a 2.
    Location: Southern NH

    If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    In practice it's not a question worth answering but with this scale and the way I think I can actually vote.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    GuardianB wrote:
    In practice it's not a question worth answering but with this scale and the way I think I can actually vote.

    Can you explain what you mean when you say "in practice it's not a question worth answering"?

    Personally, I believe that the only people my sexual orientation is relevant to is people I want to have sexual relations with, or want to have sexual relations with me.

    However, I think getting topics like this out into the open is very relevant. For example, in college I remember a poll that showed that students though other students drank a lot more than they actually did, and then they were drinking more because they thought it's what everyone else was doing. I think seeing the truth about what other people think and do can be enlightening into our own thoughts and behaviors.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:
    GuardianB wrote:
    In practice it's not a question worth answering but with this scale and the way I think I can actually vote.

    Can you explain what you mean when you say "in practice it's not a question worth answering"?

    Personally, I believe that the only people my sexual orientation is relevant to is people I want to have sexual relations with, or want to have sexual relations with me.

    However, I think getting topics like this out into the open is very relevant. For example, in college I remember a poll that showed that students though other students drank a lot more than they actually did, and then they were drinking more because they thought it's what everyone else was doing. I think seeing the truth about what other people think and do can be enlightening into our own thoughts and behaviors.

    Sorry. I've been with one person in my life. I intend to be with only that one person for the rest of our lives. My practice...

    I have and will continue to "think" about sex with a multitude of people in general. Fairly confident that if my commitment wasn't so strong or our collaborative fantasies or experiences changed that I would find endeavors among both sexes. As long as they were in part with my committed partner.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    I voted for number 2.
  • SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    number 2
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Number two!
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

    Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    #2
    Brooklyn, NY

    Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

    fotki pw= crrrls
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Posts: 458Registered Users
    #0
    3c
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    #1; but, firmly committed to my husband.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    #1 or #2; but, firmly committed to my husband.

    Same, but added the bold :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    all my friends are lesbos. :cry:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    PixieCurl wrote:
    #1 or #2; but, firmly committed to my husband.

    Same, but added the bold :)

    :lol: at first I was like, I wrote that? Blond moment :P
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    It always baffles me when people mention thier commitments to their significant others in threads like this. I don't commitment really has anything to do with your sexual orientation. That would be like me saying I'm asexual just because I'm single right now. I'm still a #1, even though I'm not actively engaged in either a predominantly heterosexual, or only incidentally homosexual, relationship at the moment! Just like you (general you) can be in a committed relationship to your husband/wife and still consider yourself a #1 or #2 or whatever.

    I guess I just don't see sexual orientation having anything to do with activiely trying to pursue a sexual relationship with that sex.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I see what you mean Who Me - I think CMD and I were kind of bringing in stuff from the other thread, where people were discussing having same-sex experiences while they were married, and whether or not it was considered cheating. CMD - I don't mean to speak for you so please correct me if I'm wrong :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    WhoMe, essentially the attraction is more of a asthetic thing and not sexual is why I picked #1. I mentioned my husband because that is what is most important to me, the commitment, not the gender. Make sense?
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:
    It always baffles me when people mention thier commitments to their significant others in threads like this. I don't commitment really has anything to do with your sexual orientation. That would be like me saying I'm asexual just because I'm single right now. I'm still a #1, even though I'm not actively engaged in either a predominantly heterosexual, or only incidentally homosexual, relationship at the moment! Just like you (general you) can be in a committed relationship to your husband/wife and still consider yourself a #1 or #2 or whatever.

    I guess I just don't see sexual orientation having anything to do with activiely trying to pursue a sexual relationship with that sex.

    I think a lot of people associate sexual orientation with sexual experience, which is where the marriage part comes in.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

    Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:
    It always baffles me when people mention thier commitments to their significant others in threads like this. I don't commitment really has anything to do with your sexual orientation. That would be like me saying I'm asexual just because I'm single right now. I'm still a #1, even though I'm not actively engaged in either a predominantly heterosexual, or only incidentally homosexual, relationship at the moment! Just like you (general you) can be in a committed relationship to your husband/wife and still consider yourself a #1 or #2 or whatever.

    I guess I just don't see sexual orientation having anything to do with activiely trying to pursue a sexual relationship with that sex.

    I've only been with 1 which is where my argument goes. What I feel or how I think I would act or do, I can't be sure. So I can tell you what I am according to fact and then what I think according to my nature or at least what I perceive that to be.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    all my friends are lesbos. :cry:

    LMFAO! You know, we always have MYSPACE, z. :wink:
  • hobbshobbs Posts: 327Registered Users
    #2!
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Posts: 523Registered Users
    Wow alot of #2's. I am a 2 also.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I see what you mean Who Me - I think CMD and I were kind of bringing in stuff from the other thread, where people were discussing having same-sex experiences while they were married, and whether or not it was considered cheating. CMD - I don't mean to speak for you so please correct me if I'm wrong :)

    No you were right, I just missed it until now. That thread put the thought in my head. By the way, my husband considers it cheating, but, not as bad :wink:
  • SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    Number two!

    Geeky, we need to hook up.
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    I don't really know what "incidentally" means in this sense. I'm taking it to mean "are attracted to the incidental gender sometimes, but would never consider or feel comfortable in a romantic/sexual relationship." If that is the case, then #2 is me. If it means more than that, well then I mis-voted.
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Joy4ever wrote:
    I don't really know what "incidentally" means in this sense. I'm taking it to mean "are attracted to the incidental gender sometimes, but would never consider or feel comfortable in a romantic/sexual relationship." If that is the case, then #2 is me. If it means more than that, well then I mis-voted.

    I voted #1, but I wish someone would explain exactly what the incidentally means here too, or how they interpret it. I've only been in hetero situations, but if it ever came up and I was single, I can't say I wouldn't try it... What does that make me?
    DPTFm5.png
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I'm a 2, too!
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    I voted #1, only because I wouldn't consider having sex with another woman. I can say that, if I was a lesbian, who I would probably be attracted to and/or want to have sex with, but being heterosexual I don't want to have sex with another woman....doesn't float my boat....
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • smallpeassmallpeas Posts: 162Registered Users
    . . .

  • hobbshobbs Posts: 327Registered Users
    smallpeas wrote:
    I didn't vote because I didn't feel I cleanly fit.
    Scale-wise, I'd usually say 2.5. But I could just be a plain 3.

    2 is what some would call "heteroflexible." I don't think of myself as heteroflexible. I don't think of myself as bisexual either. I think of myself as "open." (It could just be that I shirk labels altogether.)


    Also, in my mind, "sexual" orientation does not have so much to do with who you can see yourself having a sexual encounter with as it does who you can see yourself having a romantic relationship with. So, by "open," I mean just that. Whether the person's a biological/social male, bio/social female, transgender, transsexual, or intersex, I'm open to whatever and whomever. It just depends on the person.


    I like this.