CurlTalk

Nose piercing: which side?

curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
OK I've thought about getting my nose poked and think I'd like it on my left side. What side do you have yours on?
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I think we need to see a picture of your face. It really depends on that I think. When I had mine, it looked best on the right side.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Mine was on the right. I'm pretty sure my husband had his on the left.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • rachiscurlyrachiscurly Posts: 29Registered Users
    When I got my nose pierced almost five years ago, I was told that the traditional side for nose piercings was the left. When I asked why, I was told that, in Indian tradition, girls typically got their left nostrils pierced at puberty to ease the pain of menstruation and child birth. I wanted mine pierced on the left anyway, so I figured, if this is true, even more reason to get it done.

I just looked it up and found these results here and here. There appears to be a lot of reasons that the left side is considered traditional for females, but I still say, whatever you prefer with your face. ITA with an earlier poster who said it be easier to say after seeing pictures of your face. When I was trying to decide which side, I took an eyeliner pencil and made a small dot on each side of my nose, inspected the results in the mirror, and had a couple of trusted friends help me make the decision.
    Joined July 2009
    Type 2c/3a, fine but lots of it, medium texture, normal porosity, low elasticity

CO-Wash: Suave Naturals Lavender Lilac
    Condish: GF Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream Condish, K-PAK Reconstruct Condish
    LI: Naturelle Biotera LI
    Styling: Naturelle Biotera Curl Creme, Naturelle Biotera Shaping Spray

Curl Blog
  • rg49rg49 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Mine is on the left. I'm a lefty and so it seemed most natural to have it on the left side. I also part my hair to the right, so the opposite sides seem to balance (if that makes any sense).

P.S. I say go for it! I love mine and I've had it for about four years now.
    2everything/f/i high porosity?

DEFINITELY still figuring everything out...
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    I've had it on both sides - left was definitely better! Go for it!
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Haha, I voted left but its really on my right.
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Posts: 343Registered Users
    My left is pierced but I wish it were both.
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    i have my left nostril pierced. i picked my left because i have a right ear cartilage piercing, and even tho i no longer wear a ring in it, if it decided to do so, a nose ring and cartilage piercing will be too *bling bling* for me
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • InissantAngelInissantAngel Posts: 173Registered Users
    Mine is on the right side. I decided based on which side I thought looked better and balanced out other piercings.
    Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a lack of imagination. ~Oscar Wilde

There are only two ways to do things: right or over.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    so funny cause i've been toying with the idea of getting my nose pierced....what do they use a needle or gun?
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
    empressri wrote: »
    so funny cause i've been toying with the idea of getting my nose pierced....what do they use a needle or gun?

Needle. Don't go to anyone that would use a gun for piercing (except for maybe a regular ear piercing).
    Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a lack of imagination. ~Oscar Wilde

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    i actually did it with a gun. normally, i would do piercings with needle, but i've seen nose piercing done with needles and it looks painful as hell!!! i was kinda relieved when the place i went to used the gun... and i've had absolutely no issues. guns are considered to be highly unsanitary which is why people turn up their nose at it. but the place i went to had a little piercing kit with a one time use gun wrap in its own plastic- already sanitized. it also came with a pen to mark the area, and a bottle of piercing liquid stuff for after care. you could do it at home or have the person at the shop do it.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    is it possible to do it exactly in the middle? havent seen this yet?
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Hah! Funny you should post this now. I was throwing around the idea of posting a thread like this just recently!

I think it depends on the individual. Left seems to be most popular, but when I asked my friends, they said I should go for the right.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    mine is on the right, it just felt/looked right to me! You can't go wrong either way, I LOVE nose piercings!
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I voted left, because I prefer my left profile, which probably isn't helpful to you... :) I say, choose whichever side you think is more flattering to your face.

Personally, I wouldn't get my nose pierced because I feel that my nose is already prominent and I don't want to emphasize it more.
    ehLB.jpg
  • deletedelete Posts: 815Registered Users
    Mine is on my left but it almost ended up on my right.My friend and I were doing a play together, Tony and Tina's Wedding if anyone's seen it, and we were playing this very alternative couple. Both of us had some tattoos and several ear piercings and we thought it would be totally awesome if we got our noses pierced for the show. Since we had a 4 month run doing 4 shows a week, we figured it was worth it. The only thing is, he wanted the right side with a ring and I wanted the piercing on the left side with a stud. So we compromised and got our left nostril pierced with matching rings. It made our characters that much more fun.

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    The left side is supposed to support fertility, if you're into that kind of thing.

I still miss mine, it closed up years ago. I toy with the idea of redoing it again every time the subject comes up.
  • creolesugarcreolesugar Posts: 11Registered Users
    I thought that in Indian culture the girls are pierced to show that they are of child-bearing age
    3a/3b NATURAL! 11/2009 BC to hip-length hair by 11/2011
    ¤♡:color::tweety:♡¤
    God said, “What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!” 1 Kings 3:5
  • deletedelete Posts: 815Registered Users
    i actually did it with a gun. normally, i would do piercings with needle, but i've seen nose piercing done with needles and it looks painful as hell!!! i was kinda relieved when the place i went to used the gun... and i've had absolutely no issues. guns are considered to be highly unsanitary which is why people turn up their nose at it. but the place i went to had a little piercing kit with a one time use gun wrap in its own plastic- already sanitized. it also came with a pen to mark the area, and a bottle of piercing liquid stuff for after care. you could do it at home or have the person at the shop do it.

I think most people's issue with the piercing gun is the gun itself. The way it blasts the ring through ends up being more painful than using a needle and can lead to more infection. Plus it can jam during a piercing or worse, get caught on skin...which happened to me once while getting a cartilage piercing. I had to sit there with the gun dangling off my ear while the piercer went to get the manager. 5 minutes later, she basically yanked my ear out and it was a lovely bloody mess. What sucks is that next week, I walked by another place with the gun piercings and someone else was having the same problem.

• curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    I went to a piercing place today to ask about getting my nose done, they said they don't use a gun or a needle but this:

p021_1_00.jpg
    p021_1_03.jpg

It looks like a gun to me, I said I would think about it but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer a needle. Also I have never seen a nose stud with the arrow shape on the end to stop it falling out. The guy also said it takes about 2 weeks for it to heal, is that true? I thought it was longer.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    My left side is pierced, to balance out other existing piercings. Ironically, the left side of my face will end up with more piercings, anyway.
    The one thing I never expected to be a problem is I'm right handed and have a hard time inserting a nose screw on the left side. I don't know if it's just an awkward kind of jewelry or if it's because I'm right handed. Perhaps this is why I like L shaped jewelry; much easier to insert.

If you're dreaming about getting your nose (re)done, then do it. It's something that can be taken out if you decide later on that you don't want it.

I agree with PP, don't use the gun. After having this done with the needle, I can't imagine having a gun do it. The needle didn't hurt! All I felt was pressure and my eye teared up. I've had my ears done with needles and guns, nose with a needle, and cartilage with needles. Hands-down, the needle hurts less and heals fastest.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    Errr, yeah I would not let them use that on me.Guns tend to do more damage than not. That stud looks similar to a nose bone, and I would use that either. Notoriously bad to get out after if you want to change rings. Some people need to have them cut out.

I got pierced with a needle and had a nose screw put in. Seemed the best way to go. After healing I switched to a threadless labret stud. Best thing ever, and no screwing around hurting yourself trying to figure out how to change screws or bones.

They look like this...(a post and different ends)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelnavel.com%2Fproduct.asp%3FID%3D4573%26amp%3BMID%3D74%26amp%3BMID2%3D1" class="Popup

Good Luck!

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    Healing time varies with aftercare, type of piercing, type of jewelry, and how the person heals.
    Mine was healed enough in 3 weeks to change the jewelry to something else, but wasn't fully healed for several months. Searching the internet revealed average healing time ranges from 2 to 12 months.
    I would not want a piercing arrow inside my nose for even a second, much less two weeks. Sometimes my jewelry twists around and pokes the tender septum flesh and it's weird. I can't imagine an arrow like that. Not to mention it's pretty much a gun, like you said.

A piercing needle is hollow and removes a core of skin without ripping through like the gun jewelry. That heals faster due to less damage.
    The best piercing jewelry will allow for swelling without being too tight, which is why you should avoid barbells, and that arrow is basically a barbell with a point on one end.

What gauge is that, anyway? Common gauges for nose piercings are 18 and 20 ga. Earrings are 22 ga and I've seen some nose jewelry that small. Claire's jewelry is crap. The jewels fall out and the shafts are too short or way too long and show like metal boogers.

Inissant, did you have your piercer put in the labret backing or did you do that yourself? I've thought about getting a labret to make changing jewelry easier, as well as keeping the jewelry flat on the inside of the nose.
    This thread has me wanting to go look for more jewelry. www.bodysparkle.com has a store near my town.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    Another left sider.. I didn't know about the fertility yin/yang aspect. Thanks for the info on that.

I've had mine for a week now, and was pierced with a needle. It didn't hurt that much.. just a quick shock, a little tear came out. The piercer used some gel novacaine on my nose so it was a minimal pain.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    right, to balance out other piercings and b/c my left side is my better side...I needed more help w/ the right! LOL

Inissant, did you have your piercer put in the labret backing or did you do that yourself? I've thought about getting a labret to make changing jewelry easier, as well as keeping the jewelry flat on the inside of the nose.
    This thread has me wanting to go look for more jewelry. www.bodysparkle.com has a store near my town.

I did it myself. I actually got my jewelry from that site (steel navel). I've been nothing but happy with them. If you go the labret route for a nose piercing I highly encourage you to get a threadless set. So worth it. I'd never go back to screws (both traditional nose screws, or labrets that screw ever again). Especially nose screws, I still cringe remebering the first time I tried to change one of them out. *shudder*

• anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Posts: 343Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote: »
    I went to a piercing place today to ask about getting my nose done, they said they don't use a gun or a needle but this:

p021_1_00.jpg
    p021_1_03.jpg

It looks like a gun to me, I said I would think about it but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer a needle. Also I have never seen a nose stud with the arrow shape on the end to stop it falling out. The guy also said it takes about 2 weeks for it to heal, is that true? I thought it was longer.

Don't use this. You'll cause much more trauma to your body using this than getting it professionally pierced with a needle and having appropriate jewelry inserted. This is true of all piercings, even a standard ear lobe piercing. Please read this link: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftattoo.about.com%2Fcs%2Fpsafety%2Fa%2Fpiercing_guns.htm" class="Popup

Also, it will take substantially more than 2 weeks for your new nose piercing to heal. It'll be at least 2 months. Aftercare should consist of once or twice daily sea salt soaks in warm water. You want just a bit of sea solt dissoled in the warm water, then you can dip a cotton ball in the solution and hold it to your piercing for 10 minutes or so. Do not pick at or twist your jewelry and only remove "crusties" when they've been softened by water (either via your sea salt soak or water).

For your initial jewelry, get a ring or a nosescrew. If you do get a nosescrew the piercer will initially leave it long to accomodate swelling in the beginning, but you can have it shortened later after you've healed well enough.

G'luck and happy healing! =)
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply
  • godgavemecurls82godgavemecurls82 Posts: 158Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote: »

p021_1_00.jpg
    p021_1_03.jpg

"a mini gun." that looks harder to use. just use a needle. they are safer and you heal faster, and getting infections are not nearly as high as using guns.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I would not trust that. It looks like a gun to me.