Um...What are these things on my face?

Way WavyWay Wavy Posts: 117Registered Users
No, I'm not posting pictures! :oops: :shock: :roll:

I'll try to describe these two weird bumps that have mysteriously camped out on my face and don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

They are clear-to-whitish (OK, this is not going to be pretty -- fair warning!) and about the size of a medium-to-large pimple. At first I thought they were whiteheads, but they aren't surrounded by a red ring the way whiteheads are (or the way I think they are?).

I have combination skin, with normal-ish (not dry) cheeks and an oily T-zone. I don't get very many blemishes, but the ones I do get leave a colored mark behind that takes FOREVER to fade away. I also get the wonderful "traditional" hormonal pimple when Aunt Flo visits.

Now that I'm officially obsessed with the proper treatment of my waves, I've homed in on my skin and am ready to release my inner PJ to diagnose and treat these bad boys.

What do y'all think they are? And what can I do to encourage them to decamp? TIA!

Comments

  • An AkashaAn Akasha Posts: 175Registered Users
    Perhaps those are cystic acne?
    Where are they located on your face-the chin area?

    Do they hurt? How long have you had these bumps?

    If it's a cystic acne, you can try an aspirin mask...otherwise, you may need to see a dermatologist.
    :?
    BSL of thick 4a/ 3c coils.
    Member since 1999.
  • Way WavyWay Wavy Posts: 117Registered Users
    An Akasha wrote:
    Perhaps those are cystic acne?
    Where are they located on your face-the chin area?

    Do they hurt? How long have you had these bumps?

    If it's a cystic acne, you can try an aspirin mask...otherwise, you may need to see a dermatologist.
    :?

    Thanks for replying! No, they don't hurt (thankfully). I'm not sure how long I've had them -- at least two weeks, I think. They aren't in the T-zone where my skin is oily, but in the area underneath the undereye skin, where the cheekbone starts.

    When I thought they might be whiteheads, I suspected the anti-aging undereye gel I use (like maybe I was getting it a little beneath the intended target), but I've used that for about three years! Then again, skin changes, and maybe my skin has decided it doesn't like the gel anymore...
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • Way WavyWay Wavy Posts: 117Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote:

    That description sounds spot-on! :wink: (OK, I'm a geek...)

    Especially since it says that only a Dr. can remove them -- leave it to my skin to produce something that can't be prevented and needs medical attention to get rid of! :lol: Thanks, curlylaura!
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    wow your skin is so similar to mine in the oil department and how you described the dark spot taking forever to fade away! only the difference is that i have/had acne so i got a dermatologist.
    3b-3c CG
  • Way WavyWay Wavy Posts: 117Registered Users
    blush wrote:
    wow your skin is so similar to mine in the oil department and how you described the dark spot taking forever to fade away! only the difference is that i have/had acne so i got a dermatologist.

    Blush, I saw this thread http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52460&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 from a year ago that talks about these sorts of dark spots.

    I don't know if your dermatologist recommended/prescribed anything for them, but the thread mentions Paula's Choice Clearly Remarkable Skin Lightening Gel. Many of the posters followed up and said the gel really worked for them. I ordered a bottle of it today, along with some samples of other skin care products offered on the Paula's Choice site: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/default.asp.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I agree, by your description, it sounds like milia.
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    Yeah it does sound like milia. If they are near your eye I wouldnt recommend you removing them yourself because you could scar. A dermatologist will just knick the skin with a blade and squeeze it out. They can be difficult to remove because tend to be alot deeper than whiteheads.
    .png
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Way Wavy wrote:
    Blush, I saw this thread http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52460&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 from a year ago that talks about these sorts of dark spots.

    I don't know if your dermatologist recommended/prescribed anything for them, but the thread mentions Paula's Choice Clearly Remarkable Skin Lightening Gel. Many of the posters followed up and said the gel really worked for them. I ordered a bottle of it today, along with some samples of other skin care products offered on the Paula's Choice site: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/default.asp.
    thanks, but i don't know if i'm into skin lightening i just want to know what the spot is and why it stays there so long.
    3b-3c CG
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have these bumps on my face that aren't milia or acne of any kind and they sort of sound like what you describe. They're blocked oil ducts or some such thing. The only way to get rid of them is to have a dermatologist melt them off. Yes, melt. Either way, it sounds like a trip to the dermatologist is in order. Insurance probably wouldn't cover removing either thing.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I have these bumps on my face that aren't milia or acne of any kind and they sort of sound like what you describe. They're blocked oil ducts or some such thing. The only way to get rid of them is to have a dermatologist melt them off. Yes, melt. Either way, it sounds like a trip to the dermatologist is in order. Insurance probably wouldn't cover removing either thing.

    Yup they are clogged oil glands / sebaceous hyperplasia. Yeah and really not much can be done for these except at a derm office and even still they can recur :?
    .png
  • Way WavyWay Wavy Posts: 117Registered Users
    I'm inclined to believe they're milia. I have something similar on the skin above my inner eye, and this article http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter56.asp?AID=5133 talks about milia occurring on the upper eyelid.

    The article recommends exfoliation, salicyclic acid and microdermabrasion. I tried Philosophy's Microdelivery Peel recently (as part of a Makeup Optional kit I got on eBay), which has salicyclic acid in it. I'm not sure what the long-term effects of using it will be, but I got the baby's-bottom-soft effect immediately, and who doesn't love that?

    I was also considering trying Philosophy's Oxygen Peel. It might just be good marketing, but I'm intrigued by the concept of "congested pores." :?

    Has anyone tried these products or others that might improve my situation? TIA
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Way Wavy wrote:
    curlylaura wrote:

    That description sounds spot-on! :wink: (OK, I'm a geek...)

    Especially since it says that only a Dr. can remove them -- leave it to my skin to produce something that can't be prevented and needs medical attention to get rid of! :lol: Thanks, curlylaura!

    I am great! ;)


    I have some of the dark marks on my face too and I end up just having to wait for them to fade :x takes months too.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file