Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base-Hidden Protein?

dhughesdhughes Posts: 15Registered Users
I have a question that has been picking at me for the past week. I tried the AOHR as a DT overnight and it totally ruined my hair. I fixed it with some Queen Helene cholestrol I had. That repaired it somewhat. I found this on the Aubrey Organics website:
COCONUT FATTY ACID CREAM BASE — Absorption base containing essential fatty acids, coconut fatty alcohols from palm kernels, aloe vera and vitamins A, C and E. Rich in linoleic and linolenic acids (vitamin F), excellent nutrients and skin conditioners. In hair care products, it is often combined with the important amino acids cysteine and methionine, which are high in sulfur and excellent for the hair and scalp.

Do you think that there is protein in AOHR?
Mod CG 06-09
2c/3a fine/med tex. Med porous, fine porous canopy, likes protein, color treated
LoPoo: HSH Soymilk, NG Hemp, TJ Nourish, ACV rinses
Don't cowash. Water rinses. Hate suave & VO5 made hair frizzy
Protein Co: Tigi Oatmeal, EO's, CurlJunkie
Protein free: HSH pumpkin, Curls Asian Tea, NG Hemp, Mixed Greens, JC WDT
East SF Bay Area, CA - moderate hard water

Comments

• Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    No, there's no protein in it...I think they're just saying that often those ingredients are included in a product with the coconut fatty acid cream base.
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Could you have reacted to the jojoba oil in it?
    When I used AOHR as a DT it left my hair dry and frizzy. I've since found out that this is how my hair reacts to any products with jojoba oil in it.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Magoo wrote: »
    Could you have reacted to the jojoba oil in it?
    When I used AOHR as a DT it left my hair dry and frizzy. I've since found out that this is how my hair reacts to any products with jojoba oil in it.

I think this might the culprit, too. Others have mentioned having that reaction to AOHR and it has usually turned out that the jojoba is the source of the problem.

Plus, Aubrey's "coconut fatty acid base" is actually cetyl alcohol, an extremely common ingredient in hair products.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • dhughesdhughes Posts: 15Registered Users
    You guys are so smart! I have the NI condish, and the White camellia and neither of those bothered my hair.. now I know what to look out for. Thank you so much...
    Mod CG 06-09
    2c/3a fine/med tex. Med porous, fine porous canopy, likes protein, color treated
    LoPoo: HSH Soymilk, NG Hemp, TJ Nourish, ACV rinses
    Don't cowash. Water rinses. Hate suave & VO5 made hair frizzy
    Protein Co: Tigi Oatmeal, EO's, CurlJunkie
    Protein free: HSH pumpkin, Curls Asian Tea, NG Hemp, Mixed Greens, JC WDT
    East SF Bay Area, CA - moderate hard water
  • followmeskyfollowmesky Posts: 287Registered Users
    true or false - any coconut added is protein?
    I was told its true by a couple people.. not sure now..
    3b/C with nicer curls on the bottom!
    Hair: naturally very dry and VERY porous
    hair seems to be moody.
    Does not seem to like oils
    Does not like protein or too much?
    Does not like rich products

So, I ask myself. What does it like? That is the question, and I'm on a mission.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    true or false - any coconut added is protein?
    I was told its true by a couple people.. not sure now..

My understanding of coconut oil is that it allows you to retain protein, it is not protein in and of itself. Which is why a lot of the coarse haired ladies can use (and really like) coconut oil and the AO conditioners without added protein.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Posts: 579Registered Users
    I just had something similar happen to me.

I've been using AOHR + olive oil in a pre-shower, spritz'n condish-type application. I've been doing this for pushing 2 months, and was using AOHR as an incidental condish prior to that.

Lately, my hair has been crispifying. In order to rectify the situation, I've been hitting the AOHR extra hard. Et viola: downward spiral. In attempting to sort the vague "coconut fatty acid cream base" I initially wondered if said cream base was a coconut cream base (which would be protein), or if it was just a generic cream base containing coconut fatty acids. I can use / love coconut oil, and I can use but do not love (i.e. frizzy but not drying) jojoba oil.

My hair on concentrated AOHR feels pretty much exactly the same as my hair after a protein treatment. Hard. Dry. Straight. Miserable.

I'm sad, too, because I was loving it as a pre-wash.
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Posts: 228Registered Users
    My hair hated AOHR, but is not protein sensitive, so I'm not sure what the problem was. That stuff was so heavy and greasy yet made my hair feel dry.
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file