Darkening Highlights or Lighten Hair?

aaa00aaaa00a Registered Users Posts: 284
I have light blonde highlights (over 1 year old now- nearing 3 inches in roots), but medium-dark blond hair. I want to get rid of the highlights, I'm not sure what to do about getting rid of them.

I'm not too keen on dying my hair, because it fades out within the first week no matter what I've tried to do to keep it. My hair is coarse and extremely porus, even at the roots where there is no dye, or any other 'treatment'.

I just really hate the whole roots showing thing. I don't think I can manage to wait until the roots grow another 24+ inches; at it's growth rate of about 2.5 inches a year that's almost 10 years of waiting!

Is there anything besides waiting that can help?
Wavy, dry, protein sensitive, coarse, highly overly porus, very low elasticity, medium-thick density, very prone to split ends
Avoids: Sulphates, Silicones, Protein, Mineral oil, Petroleum, Polyquaternium, Sodium/Magnesium, Heat
Mod-CG since June 2007

Comments

• shorticurlzshorticurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    aaa00a wrote: »
    I have light blonde highlights (over 1 year old now- nearing 3 inches in roots), but medium-dark blond hair. I want to get rid of the highlights, I'm not sure what to do about getting rid of them.

I'm not too keen on dying my hair, because it fades out within the first week no matter what I've tried to do to keep it. My hair is coarse and extremely porus, even at the roots where there is no dye, or any other 'treatment'.

I just really hate the whole roots showing thing. I don't think I can manage to wait until the roots grow another 24+ inches; at it's growth rate of about 2.5 inches a year that's almost 10 years of waiting!

Is there anything besides waiting that can help?

Hmmm I'm not sure that I have any answers for you other than to say that if you do dye over your whole head, the highlighted parts will fade quicker than the rest of your hair and you'll be left with the same problem. I guess you could try and find a color that VERY closely matches your natural hair and only dye the highlights...but you should probably go to a hairdresser for that.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file