Dry Hands

IvyWalkerIvyWalker Posts: 36Registered Users
I have incredibly dry skin, which has gotten worse lately, though I don't know why. I use Palmer's shea butter lotion, and put it on my hands often. Right before I go to bed, I usually put some on my hands because they're so dry. The last several nights, I've woken up in the middle of the night with my hands dryer than they've ever been before. They're so dry I can't stand to even have my fingers touch, and my hands hurt all over. Then I have to get up and put lotion on, then put it on again when I get up in the morning. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is really getting frustrating.

Comments

• B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds as though there's something in the lotion you're using that is actually irritating your skin, so I would suggest that you stop using it and try something else instead. If you want a drugstore-type lotion, Aveeno makes various lotions that are generally very moisturizing and non-irritating. Or even Cetaphil lotion which is found with the lotions you put on your face.

I'd also suggest you try a pure oil such as sesame oil. babyway recently posted this link regarding sesame oil on another part of the board, so I picked up another brand (Heather Loraine) from my local health food store and have been using it ever since. My skin is very sensitive, and this is working really well for me.

Good luck! :)
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe your hands are drying out because you put lotion on them all the time and your skin isn't producing enough of it's own oils to keep them moisturised.

Though trying another cream may be a good idea too.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • IvyWalkerIvyWalker Posts: 36Registered Users
    Thank you for the tips! I don't think it's a reaction to this particular lotion, as I had been using it for a while before this happened, and I put it on my arms and legs as well and haven't had that problem. I do have sensitive skin and react to some products, but would it suddenly do this to just my hands?

I did think of something last night that may be affecting this. I went shampoo free for months, starting in March, but just had to switch back to shampoo to keep my hair clean. The first night my hands felt that bad was also the first night I used shampoo again. I'm wondering if they're perhaps reacting to the shampoo, or drying out more because of that.
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    The best thing you can put on your hands is plain old Vaseline. Yes its greasy but it is the best moisturizer you can use and there has never been a documented case of an allergy to Vaseline. Use it at night and go to sleep with cotton gloves.

Another good moisturizer is Neutrogena Norweigan hand cream..this stuff is fantastic. It goes on thick like a vaseline but then rubs in nicely and doesnt leave your hands greasy

Are they just flaky? Are they red, inflamed, deep cracks??
    .png
    They're red, and a little swollen at times. They're not craking, but my knuckles feel like they're about to... :?
  • An AkashaAn Akasha Posts: 175Registered Users
    Try warm olive oil on your hands. Slather it on and leave for at least 15 minutes.

You'll have to wipe your hands on a towel afterwards, but your hands will be soft!
    BSL of thick 4a/ 3c coils.
    Member since 1999.
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you're onto something with the shampoo. I experienced the same thing with dishwashing liquids until I switched to Method, then the tightness and dryness and achiness disappeared.
    An Akasha wrote:
    Try warm olive oil on your hands. Slather it on and leave for at least 15 minutes.

You'll have to wipe your hands on a towel afterwards, but your hands will be soft!

Thanks! I'll definitely have to try that.

And after looking at some dry patches on my legs, I don't think it's the shampoo after all. :? My legs are incredibly dry, and I have these patches where it's extremely flaky. My face is pretty dry and flaky too, and even my ears are dry and flaky! I thought it was supposed to be worse in winter...why is it doing this now? I'm wondering if it could somehow be related to my allergies...
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    IvyWalker wrote:
    They're red, and a little swollen at times. They're not craking, but my knuckles feel like they're about to... :?

If they are red and swollen you may need a little cortisone. You may want to try an over the counter cortisone atleast once if not twice a day and then lots of moisturizer. Remember the greasier the better. If they are really that swollen you may eventually need to see a dermatologist. You may have developed hand eczema or even psoriasis. Do you wash you hands often during the day? If so this is when you need to moisturize is right after and be sure you are using a mild soap
    .png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file