Stress-related alopecia

janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
Both my daughter and I are 'suffering' from it, me due to depression and her as one of the effects of anorexia. The thickness of my ponytail has halved. I get upset each time I wash due to the vast amounts coming out.

So. I know my daughters' hair will grow back and I assume mine will too. But will it grow back curly?
Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk

Comments

• gypsyoftheworldgypsyoftheworld Posts: 54Registered Users
    I want to say yes, because that's what mine did. It's how I have curly hair now. Back in my sophmore year of highschool I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. Before that, I had very thick wavy/straight hair. Now I have a head full of curls. I think your curly locks are safe.
  • janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    Thank you :) - and it's slowly growing back, too short to tell if it's going to be curly. Another inch or so....
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • gypsyoftheworldgypsyoftheworld Posts: 54Registered Users
    you're welcome. i know what living with the stress of hair loss feels like. and maybe, your hair will come back curlier? who knows.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My doc also diagnosed me with Alopecia Areata. My hair is starting to grow back but it is finer and is either straight or a looser curl. I was wondering if anybody else had gone through this.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • mythreebabesmythreebabes Posts: 19Registered Users
    I too am losing my hair, in the past couple of months it has lost nearly half of it's thickness. It started thining about this time last year and finally stopped in the spring, I am not sure if it came back at all, because it certainly didn't feel any thicker, but since last spring it has become super wavy, it's nothing like it used to be which was straight, except for one stubborn spot on the crown of my head. I am loving the new tight waves but it's devastating to see that it is falling out again and getting more thin than ever before. It has been over a year since I had my thyroid checked and many other tests, all were normal. I think it is stress related, but I don't know how to help it, all I can hope for is it will stop falling out and then come back curlier...:) For those of you with Alopecia Areata did it come back on its own or did you have to do something for the re-growth? I wonder if this is what is going on with me....
    I got my daddy's waves :happy10:
    Type-2b?,normal-high porosity,normal elasticity, fine-medium texture,some course auburn, more curly in back and bottom layer with 2 spirals underneath...yea CG!!!!!!
    Low-poo-JC Gentle Lather poo
    Co wash-GNTN, Suave Naturals coconut
    Rinse out-OA GPB
    Leave-in-JC aloeba
    Stylers-HESMU
    Likes-olive oil, castor oil, vinegar rinse, wrapping in a silk scarf at night
    Dislikes-too much jojoba oil, coconut milk DT
  • mythreebabesmythreebabes Posts: 19Registered Users
    and I don't know if that is the reason my hair is now wavy, it was wavy as a child then straight and very slowly getting wavy or if I would have had this change happen anyway...the past few years have been tough, but this past year was definately the toughest, I think that it threw my hair quicker into the wavy world, although my DM says it would have changed anyway without the stress, that it's in my genes, but now if it would only stop thining....:scratch: I do have faith that it will stop though:colors:
    I got my daddy's waves :happy10:
    Type-2b?,normal-high porosity,normal elasticity, fine-medium texture,some course auburn, more curly in back and bottom layer with 2 spirals underneath...yea CG!!!!!!
    Low-poo-JC Gentle Lather poo
    Co wash-GNTN, Suave Naturals coconut
    Rinse out-OA GPB
    Leave-in-JC aloeba
    Stylers-HESMU
    Likes-olive oil, castor oil, vinegar rinse, wrapping in a silk scarf at night
    Dislikes-too much jojoba oil, coconut milk DT
  • fatima912fatima912 Posts: 1Registered Users
    hi girls !

the past couples of years my hair has been thinner , and thinner , especially since last year , do you know any natural medecine or medecine wich could stop that and help my hair to grow , iv been to dermatologist and no one could help me!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I just posted this beautiful story about living with alopecia.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file