recipe for home microdermabrasion

dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
I was reading an awsome book, I think it was called organic hair and body recipes (i think that is what it was called) from the library and they had a recipe for at-home microdermabrasion.

-mix about a tablespoon of baking soda with a drop of essential oil, and make a paste by adding a few drops of water. (or my favorite a little bit of calendula extract)
gently massage into face and neck then rinse and pat dry.

the book was written by a licensed spa person, and she wrote that some spas actually do this because it does it much more gentle and you don't have to be as careful or knowledgeable to do this kind of dermabrasion.

so people will pay big bucks for a service with simple, and very cheep materials that you could do at home! it cleanes away the debree and excess oil, but doesn't irritate etc. in about 4-6 weeks you can expect to see less rinkles and more even skin tone and healthier skin! helps with sun damaged skin too.

i know i've said it a million times before that i use just that to wash my face, but i didn't realize that is what it was doing too! bonus!
2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
:thumbleft:
products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher

Comments

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sounds great! I'd love to know the name of author too, so I can try to find the book locally. :)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    curls2grow wrote: »
    Sounds great! I'd love to know the name of author too, so I can try to find the book locally. :)

Oh... right!
    Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles, its a fairly thick book and amazon has it for about 9$.
    products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you so much for posting that info! :) Gonna see if I can find it locally, otherwise I might buy it.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,726Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've been using baking soda for a face scrub for quite awhile and it works really well. Makes skin soft and smooth without any irritation. Cheap, simple, natural. Great stuff.

And that sounds like a really good book.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SprucieSprucie Posts: 16Registered Users
    Does the baking soda remove sunscreen/foundation? If not, how do you remove your makeup before washing with baking soda?
    Beaumont, Tx dewpoint averaging 75 this week!
    cg since 7/20/09
    2a (I think), low to medium porosity (I think), fine (extremely)
    co-wash: Suave Coconut
    condish: same. I'm gonna try it without the leave-in
    honey rinses seem to help, but my frizz is insane, & my tangles are relentless! Protein helps, though!
    Taking Hairtopia vitamins

gel on wet hair, plop for 5 - 15 minutes. Haven't figured a routine out yet. Sigh....

:dontknow:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,726Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I use the oil cleansing method so 2 or 3 times a week I cleanse my face with jojoba/sunflower/castor oils. On the other days I use Burts Bees Orange cleanser. Once a week I do my baking soda scrub. I mix it with the cleanser so it cleanses and scrubs at the same time.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • CurlyCakeCurlyCake Posts: 7Registered Users
    Tried a baking soda scrub for the first time last week and it worked amazingly! :D Will try to do it once a week or so and hopefully will get good results
  • dailywavydailywavy Posts: 249Registered Users
    i don't wear makeup, so i can't help ya there. although my friend is doing this new too, and she didn't mention using anything else to take her makup off so i am not sure. but she loves how her skin is feeling/looking. she has had some acne problems but her skin is evening up now.

it takes off my sunscreen easily. i use berts bees sunscreen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file