CurlTalk

How I straighten my hair.

ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
When I straighten my hair this is what I do.

I wash it first of all. When I am out of the shower I either use carrot oil or olive oil. I leave it alone for about 10 minutes and then put it in rollers. Or rather my mother does as I am inept. :lol: She combs or brushes the hair smoothly on each roller and sometimes adds a little oil. I then put a bonnet dryer on and sit for awhile. I stay for awhile maybe 2 or more hours (but I take breaks). If you have a good dryer it can be less but my hair is also very dense.

After this I either let it rest for a while or go to the next step.

My mother wraps my hair with bobby pins. We call it the "doobie" (no not the one you smoke).

It's like this:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mazumahair.com%2Fimages%2FMazuma%2520Hair%2520Salon%2520Doobie.jpg" class="Popup

Then I put on a do-rag or a satin cap and sleep.

Doing my hair this way I wash once a week and sleep with the doobie each night.

I wanted to post this to possible help others and also I want to ask if it doesn't seem to damaging. It doesn't seem to damage my hair. It makes it feel good actually. I don't do it often anymore though. I never do it in the summer.
3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users
    This seems to me the least damaging way to straighten your hair. Much better than blow drying and using a hot iron on it. Do you need help wrapping your hair at night? It looks like I would need help doing that.
    I'd love to see a picture of you with your hair styled straight using this method. Do the pins leave a mark?
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    crwritt wrote: »
    This seems to me the least damaging way to straighten your hair. Much better than blow drying and using a hot iron on it. Do you need help wrapping your hair at night? It looks like I would need help doing that.
    I'd love to see a picture of you with your hair styled straight using this method. Do the pins leave a mark?

Next time I do it I will post a picture. =)

And my mom does it all for me. I can not get the hang of it at all. The pins do not leave a mark.

My hair never comes out pin straight. I always have a bit of a curve at the bottom and lots of body.

Shampoo - GTTTT
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose

• crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users
    I actually tried this myself this afternoon, since reading your post and looking at a couple demos on YouTube. What a mess I made!
    I wish I could do it, because I think its a nice, gentle way to straighten the hair. (Maybe if I practice a LOT and use a whole pack of pins and a ton of gel.)
    All I can say is I would like to meet your Mom, she has my respect for being able to wrap someone's hair like that.
  • SugarglazedSugarglazed Posts: 61Registered Users
    Its funny you post this---
    My mother and her sisters would do this as they were growing up, she has mildly curly-wavy hair I'd say probably mix of 3b/a ....
    I remember I tried this when I was younger and got restless with the bobby pinning and gave up.
    I should try it again, at least for drying then maybe go over it with a straight iron
    3b/a
    elucence poo/condt, curls asian hair tea ecstasy,curl junkie banana and hibiscus dt, regis olive oil mask, jessicurl too shea,curl keeper, aura gel, pink boots, curl junkie banana and hibiscus leave in-fine
    crwritt wrote: »
    I actually tried this myself this afternoon, since reading your post and looking at a couple demos on YouTube. What a mess I made!
    I wish I could do it, because I think its a nice, gentle way to straighten the hair. (Maybe if I practice a LOT and use a whole pack of pins and a ton of gel.)
    All I can say is I would like to meet your Mom, she has my respect for being able to wrap someone's hair like that.

Haha. I'll let my mom know. :)

I can't do it myself either! Even watching demos.

I don't recommend gel. I think it'd be too sticky. Maybe a serum. Like I said I use an oil.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• anatidaephobiaanatidaephobia Posts: 343Registered Users
    This is how my mother would straighten her hair as well. She would wrap my hair too when I was younger and had a special event to attend. It leaves it straight but with volume. Unfortunately, I never learned how to do it
    CG since 6/15/09 -- fine/medium texture, medium porosity

Conditioners: GTTTT, Kenra & KCKT
    DT: CJ Hibiscus Banana Deep Fix
    Styling: KCCC, KCHP, HEBE, Loma Imply
    This is how my mother would straighten her hair as well. She would wrap my hair too when I was younger and had a special event to attend. It leaves it straight but with volume. Unfortunately, I never learned how to do it

Guanoing my own thread but I googled your username as I was curious and all I got to say is LMAO.

Shampoo - GTTTT

• jr33176jr33176 Posts: 59Registered Users
    This is how I staighten my hair! After I shower, I bend over and part my hair down the middle and then wind/wrap both sides tightly around my head. I use duck bills to help me get started and then bobby pins to hold it all in place. When I wake up in the morning, I have to blow dry for a minute in a few spots here or there. It's easy and I think pretty low-damaging...

I had considered one of the keratin treatments but I was worried about the negative reports some people have reported AND I'm too poor.
    3a/3b hair
    current products: No HGs but liking One C & C.O. Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Condish; rotating among Sebastian Potion 9, Seb. Hi Contrast, Joiwhip

"...still curly after all these years..."
  • curlaughcurlaugh Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks for the tip! :toothy8: I was trying to figure out a way to safely straighten my hair for a recurring event, while maintaining my ability to still have my healthy and glorious curls on other days, and your technique looks healthy and safe. Please tell me -- what size curlers do you use while under the dryer?
    Auburn BSL, 3B (mostly)
    Nature's Therapy, Noodlehead