Giving up CG; Sulfate/Cone-Free Poo/Condit?

[Cross Posted to General Discussion]

I've decided to quit CG. My hair is thin, so now it's looking less full and seems more frizzy. I also don't like the product I'm using for hold. I tried giving up Save Coconut and just using L'Oreal, but my hair is still terrible. I've decided to try low pooinstead of no poo.

So, I was wondering, what are some sulfate/cone-free shampoos (I especially need shampoos, since right now I just have conditioners) and conditioners? Preferably drug-store/affordable.
I'm growing my hair from chin length to mid-thigh length!

Comments

• tendrillytendrilly Posts: 183Registered Users
    I know it is frustrating, confusing, and overwhelming at times to do this CG thing. :disgust: I have had my days too! But, are you sure you don't want to give it more time? You've only just begun and there is a transition period.

A few points before I give you a low poo recommendation:

1) Have you tried rotating products? For some reason (hair gets satiated on ingredients if you use the same conditioner every day, I think) hair does better when you rotate. For example, I love LVPNG but my hair becomes unhappy if I use it days in a row. I rotate about 5-6 conditioners -- see my sig.

2) Do you have fine hair? Maybe you need protein. About every week I use Aubrey's GPB conditioner -- an excellent protein conditioner. Then, on occasion, I use the GVP Reconstructor. If you have coarse hair then you'd notice that protein makes your hair a nightmare....etc. Figure out your hair texture, and that will help you a lot.

3) You didn't mention what you are using for hold. Maybe you just need to experiment a little with gels.

4) Some curlies on the boards here have mentioned that their hair does not like the Suave for cowashing, and they've switched to VO5 conditioners instead. Maybe you can try that. Also, you really don't need to cowash every day -- I do it about 2-3x/week.

For the low poo, occasionally I like to do that too, and I've been using Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo (aka GTTTT around here). You can find it at health food stores, and at Target and at Rite Aid. It's 7.99 for the 8 oz bottle, so not cheap, but you'd only use it maybe once a week. Also watch Rite Aid had a BOGO sale on Giovanni products a while back -- much better price. :thumbright:

Good luck!
    Dry climate
    2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results! :-(
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are probably quitting too soon. It can take 4 - 6 weeks for your scalp and hair to adjust to CG. It takes time to find what your hair needs. If you have fine hair, then protein should help. An ACV rinse now and then is helpful, too. You will have to experiment to find what works best, and you will need patience and lower expectations for a time. CG won't magically restore your hair overnight, but in time your hair would probably become the best it's ever been. Take a look at the before and after photo thread for inspiration.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • HateRelationshipHateRelationship Posts: 100Registered Users
    tendrilly wrote: »
    I know it is frustrating, confusing, and overwhelming at times to do this CG thing. :disgust: I have had my days too! But, are you sure you don't want to give it more time? You've only just begun and there is a transition period.

1) Have you tried rotating products? For some reason (hair gets satiated on ingredients if you use the same conditioner every day, I think) hair does better when you rotate. For example, I love LVPNG but my hair becomes unhappy if I use it days in a row. I rotate about 5-6 conditioners -- see my sig.

2) Do you have fine hair? Maybe you need protein. About every week I use Aubrey's GPB conditioner -- an excellent protein conditioner. Then, on occasion, I use the GVP Reconstructor. If you have coarse hair then you'd notice that protein makes your hair a nightmare....etc. Figure out your hair texture, and that will help you a lot.

3) You didn't mention what you are using for hold. Maybe you just need to experiment a little with gels.

4) Some curlies on the boards here have mentioned that their hair does not like the Suave for cowashing, and they've switched to VO5 conditioners instead. Maybe you can try that. Also, you really don't need to cowash every day -- I do it about 2-3x/week.

For the low poo, occasionally I like to do that too, and I've been using Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo (aka GTTTT around here). You can find it at health food stores, and at Target and at Rite Aid. It's 7.99 for the 8 oz bottle, so not cheap, but you'd only use it maybe once a week. Also watch Rite Aid had a BOGO sale on Giovanni products a while back -- much better price. :thumbright:

Good luck!

1.) I can't rotate products because I'm only 16 and my mother refuses to support me in all this any longer.

2.) It's strange, I have fine hair, it's really thin, and I tried Suave Coconuts which I heard was full of protein but it just made my hair dry and frizzy!

Sadly, my mom definitely won't make that little splurge for the Giovanni product. Thank you, though!
    ewenique wrote: »
    You are probably quitting too soon. It can take 4 - 6 weeks for your scalp and hair to adjust to CG. It takes time to find what your hair needs. If you have fine hair, then protein should help. An ACV rinse now and then is helpful, too. You will have to experiment to find what works best, and you will need patience and lower expectations for a time. CG won't magically restore your hair overnight, but in time your hair would probably become the best it's ever been. Take a look at the before and after photo thread for inspiration.

Okay, I'll keep at it for another month. (: An ACV rinse, I dunno what that is. Also, I can't find the thread! Can you link it to me? Thanks~!
  • kaysarakaysara Posts: 152Registered Users
    ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. A lot of people dilute some vinegar in water and use it as a rinse out. You can do a search for more information, there are tons of threads about it.

Also, here is the before and after thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47609
    3a/2c, medium texture, thick and dense, normal porosity/elasticity. Cone free since 5/1/09.

Low Poo: SheaM C&S
    Condish: GFS&SZero or SheaM WCR
    Stylers: UFDCM + LALSG
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ACV rinse = 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (white vinegar works, too) in 2 Cups water, poured slowly over your hair and massaged in, then use rinse out conditioner, rinse well and continue with styling products.

Be sure that you are using enough conditioner. Your hair should feel squishy and silky like seaweed before rinsing it out. I have to use several palmfuls of Suave for my length hair.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    The good thing is that there are many inexpensive products you can use for going CG - Giovanni is the most expensive thing I have at $8, IIRC. Buying a few products at a time so you can rotate isn't really a waste of money, because you'll use them at the same rate as you would anyway...you'll just be buying 5 at a time and taking 5 times longer to get to use up your stash. Does that make sense? Even if you HATE every conditioner you buy, other people in your family might be able to use them, or you could use them to shave your legs even. I used suave and v05 to shave my legs all the time in college, because it was cheaper than using actual shaving cream!

Maybe all that would help you convince your mom to help you stick with it a little longer? The point is...CG products aren't a waste.
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
    KeLynn wrote: »
    The good thing is that there are many inexpensive products you can use for going CG - Giovanni is the most expensive thing I have at $8, IIRC. Buying a few products at a time so you can rotate isn't really a waste of money, because you'll use them at the same rate as you would anyway...you'll just be buying 5 at a time and taking 5 times longer to get to use up your stash. Does that make sense? Even if you HATE every conditioner you buy, other people in your family might be able to use them, or you could use them to shave your legs even. I used suave and v05 to shave my legs all the time in college, because it was cheaper than using actual shaving cream!

Maybe all that would help you convince your mom to help you stick with it a little longer? The point is...CG products aren't a waste.

No, I think the issue right now is that she's been laid off for like, 8 months ^^;
  • Robin1Robin1 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Nice article.Its drastically breathtaking expound owing to me.Hope this cede limn deserved appurtenant to every one.Thanks whereas sharing this overpowering one.Keep posting.All the elite whereas your budgeted posts.
    Guide with latest it training.
  • Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    tendrilly wrote: »

Good luck!

1.) I can't rotate products because I'm only 16 and my mother refuses to support me in all this any longer.

2.) It's strange, I have fine hair, it's really thin, and I tried Suave Coconuts which I heard was full of protein but it just made my hair dry and frizzy!

Sadly, my mom definitely won't make that little splurge for the Giovanni product. Thank you, though!

Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut condish has amino acids in it, but not as much protein as another product with hydrolyzed protein of some kind. So, you could easily benefit more from a conditioner with more protein.

As has been stated, rotating products isn't any more expensive.
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • confuzedcurlsconfuzedcurls Posts: 12Registered Users

Sadly, my mom definitely won't make that little splurge for the Giovanni product. Thank you, though![/quote]

There are several drug store chains that will allow you return partially used cosmetic products (up to like 1/2 used). I buy everything I try at Walgreens or CVS Pharmacy because of this policy. If my hair doesn't like the product, I return it.
    Confuzed Curls
    Hair Type: 2B in crown, 2C & 3A in length, Cii
    Products: DevaCurl ~ No-Poo & One Conditioner, Angell, Set It Free, Mister Right
    Leave in: Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file