Where To Buy Products in London?

millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Registered Users Posts: 404
Oh shocker, I just realized I came from Canada with one wrong product which was suppose to take me to the month so I desperately need to buy some products and mariposa-import in Holland is sold out of my fave products and one other site is on vacation!!!! I am flying to London next week and was wondering if the UK curlies could tell me where to buy in store:

- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckly rose conditooner
- Curls Souffle
-Jessicurl Confident Coils
- Qhemet Amla Heavy Cream

Thank you so much!
3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.

Comments

• ellageorginaellageorgina Registered Users Posts: 1,511
    I think you can only order those on-line. London isn't too good for hair products! :(
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Registered Users Posts: 404
    oh there has to be just one place in London. I mean there are 10 million people living there and its multi-cultural!!
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
  • twistedcoiltwistedcoil Registered Users Posts: 39
    It's not a solution to all your queries, but there's a pharmacy (Essentials Pharmacy) on Drury Lane, which sells Aubrey. No idea if they have HSR in stock, but they tend to have good supplies! Brace yourself for the cost though...about £8-10.

Otherwise: http://www.aubreyorganics.co.uk/stockists.html
    They also sell it in Hammersmith.
    But I don't think they sell any of the others in the UK.

It's not a solution to all your queries, but there's a pharmacy (Essentials Pharmacy) on Drury Lane, which sells Aubrey. No idea if they have HSR in stock, but they tend to have good supplies! Brace yourself for the cost though...about £8-10.

Thats twice as expensive as in Toronto. Rip Off.
  • smarts_martssmarts_marts Registered Users Posts: 9
    You can get Qhemet at Adornment hair salon in Morley's department store in Brixton. It's right opposite the tube station.

But I think its more feasible to bring your products! lol You can buy Jessicurl at http://naturalfrizz.co.uk/home/

Hope that helps?

take care!

Thats twice as expensive as in Toronto. Rip Off.

LOL it's called an exchange rate - everything is more 'expensive' to canadians and americans when they come to england. But it's not really expensive for us!!

Adornment hair salon in Morley'

Thank you so much. I will call them before I go there.
    LOL it's called an exchange rate - everything is more 'expensive' to canadians and americans when they come to england. But it's not really expensive for us!!

When I lived in Brighton everything still seemed expensive even when I was getting paid in pounds and living in central london..OMG I still can't get over weekly or every two weeks rent. That's stressful!
    ANYONE would be stressed about the rent in Central london! It is hugely expensive.

• oddityofwingsoddityofwings Registered Users Posts: 1,261

It's not just exchange rate - it's also added VAT and import fees that the stores, lovely though they are, pass onto the customers.

And I have to disagree - even though I've lived here for three years, I cannot get over how expensive a lot of stuff is here. Random stuff costs piles - and random other things are silly inexpensive (ex: why do chicken breasts cost £4/lb at best? They cost, at most, $1.50/lb in the US (roughly £1 with the current exchange rate). And why does brand name paracetamol cost mere pennies here while its US twin, acetaminophen, can cost several dollars for the same amount even in generics?). I won't get used to it, ever. /rant
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • chenajchenaj Registered Users Posts: 352
    Hi all,

Knowing how hard and frustrating it is to find CG hair products here in the UK i'm just trying to reply to as many posts as possible before i go to bed!

Go to http://ironsunorganics.co.uk they sell Made in UK CG products/brands ( but they also sell Aubrey Organics). Check out my reply to the CG product list thread for more info.

Laters
    Chenaj
    hair type - definately 4a

wash - any baby shampoo

conditioning styler - homemade blend with shea, coconut, avocado mango, plam, castor, almond and essential oils

Hair pics http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=84285
  • zenallazenalla Registered Users Posts: 159
    Hi curlies,
    I'm quite new here.I'm from Belgium and I'm going to London at the end of this week for a city trip. I'm planning to buy some products there and wanted to ask you some information about places where I could find the following products:
    • VO5 (for co-wash)
    • Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    • Herbal Essence Gel
    • I guess that I'll find Pink Boost at Boots Essential shop?
    • Does Shelly sells Biotera cream?
    Thanks for your help and advice about other great products available in UK
    3B-A, colored, med texture-density, High porosity

DT: AOHRS - CJHBDF - Mixed Chicks
    Loo-Poo 2/week: Eluence volume,YTT-YTC poo, Co-wash 2/week: Suave Tropical - V05 Strawberries (water wash the rest)
    Conditioner: Mop Top, Toe Shea, AOHRS, AOGBP
    Leave-in:KCKT , Darcy Peach Kernel, Aloeba,YTT/YTC co,Christine Grant LI
    Stylers: KCCC, CJ CCC, DMMC, Mixed Chiks, BB Jellie Creme, HESMU, Mop Top gel, HPO curling pudding

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/zenalla1/ (updated in June 2010)
    PW: mixedcurly
    zenalla wrote: »
    Hi curlies,
    I'm quite new here.I'm from Belgium and I'm going to London at the end of this week for a city trip. I'm planning to buy some products there and wanted to ask you some information about places where I could find the following products:
    • VO5 (for co-wash)
    • Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    • Herbal Essence Gel
    • I guess that I'll find Pink Boost at Boots Essential shop?
    • Does Shelly sells Biotera cream?
    Thanks for your help and advice about other great products available in UK

The VO5 you find in Boots/Superdrug/etc. at the moment is not normally the CG kind - the CG version is being phased out. I have heard you can still get it, but I'm not sure where.

Herbal Essences stuff should be available pretty much anywhere that sells haircare products - supermarkets and chemists alike.

Boots Curl Creme is indeed available at Boots stores - little pink pot, in the hair styling product section.

Not sure about the Giovanni and the Bioterra (I assume you mean Sally's, not Shelly's, though). I vaguely remember seeing Bioterra at Sally's last time I visited my local one, but not sure if they have the creme or not.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

Thanks for your answer Oddityofwings. You'r right, I meant Sally's :pl:
    Which one is the CG VO5 you spoke about?
    Do you know if Herbal Essence Gel is CG?

If VO5 is not CG, could you recommend me a good co-wash (not expensive) that are CG and maybe a styler/cream.

Thanks a lot

Loo-Poo 2/week: Eluence volume,YTT-YTC poo, Co-wash 2/week: Suave Tropical - V05 Strawberries (water wash the rest)
    Stylers: KCCC, CJ CCC, DMMC, Mixed Chiks, BB Jellie Creme, HESMU, Mop Top gel, HPO curling pudding

I've never personally run across the CG VO5 in the UK - I think it's identical to the one sold in the states, however. I know a lot of us UK curlies are using Original Source instead - there are three varieties (Almond and Coconut, Mint and Tea Tree, and White Avocado and Pear), and they're all CG to the best of my knowledge. I can find them at my local savers for 99p/bottle. I think normally they're sold for about £1.60 or something like that at drug stores and grocery stores.

I've no idea if the Herbal Essence gel available in the UK is CG - I actually use one of the Boots Essentials gels (available at Boots) - the purple one (says firm hold on it). It's a lot cheaper and completely CG. Less than a pound for a pot.

For cheap creams/stylers, you can't get much better than Pink Boots - again, in the Essentials range, available at Boots. I believe it costs something like £1.20/pot, and it lasts ages.

Nice, thanks for all those information.

• MissMochaBrownMissMochaBrown Registered Users Posts: 2
    You can buy Giovanni products from any Whole Foods in London.
  • FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Registered Users Posts: 339 Curl Novice
    They also sell it in Hammersmith.
    But I don't think they sell any of the others in the UK.

oooh oooh oooh where about in Hammersmith. I can easily walk there in about an hour.

• pamelac858pamelac858 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I'm more of a a wavy girl than a curly girl, but I've given up trying to straighten my hair. I'm older and it's really getting thin, so I think this is helpful for not yanking on it too much. Aging is NOT for sissies....anyway.

I'm American, been in the UK almost 10 years and I NEVER get over the sticker shock. It's the stealth taxes as much as anything. It has nothing to do with the exchange rate (though I certainly enjoyed my US trips were $2 to a pound!), things are just expensive in Europe as a whole, not just the UK. Anyway...

I'm wondering about shampoos. I can't go completely no-poo, but I'd like something better than baby shampoo, which is what I've been using. Any affordable ideas?

Also, what do you use to hold your curls? Mine do well when I first do my hair, but then they droop if I don't using freezing spray, which then forces me to shampoo more often than I'd like to get the flakey spray out.

Besides the baby shampoo, I am also using a cider vinegar rinse, then Australian Miracle Moist, Boots Curl Creme (which I rinse out, too) and then follow with Boots own brand gel, with a freezing spray finish.

It worked for a year or so, but I think with the new jar of gel I got that it's not working so well. Do you think Boots changed the formula or is it my hair? ideas for a replacement for the freezing spray?

Thanks.

Pam
    They are *ridiculously* expensive in England, aren't they? ;-) I've gotten used to it over the years, but if I ever want to dissuade myself from buying something, I figure out how much it is in 'real money'. This isn't working so well now that the exhange rate is $1.50=£1. ;-)

Anyway.

As far as shampoos go, have you tried any of the Naked line? They're about £3.50 a bottle, but I find just a teeny bit (dime/5p size) works for me. They're all lo-poos, and I think all of them are cone-free. The conditioners are great as well, though only a few have no cones (a few have PG cones), though I guess that's not a problem if you're lo-pooing. That line's probably the only one I'd use in the UK if I went back to cones - they've got the least amount of junk. I *think* the Organix shampoos (not conditioners) are silicone free as well, and they are also lo-poos. I found them drying, but nothing a good conditioner couldn't help. Holland and Barret also carries the Dr. Organics line, and all the shampoos there are lo-poos. The conditioners are GREAT, the aloe one in particular.

For hold, I've just been using plain aloe gel from Holland and Barret's. I tried using the purple gel from Boots for a while, but it dried me out something awful (however, I was also using some GVP at the time which might have also been the culprit). I like the AVG layered over KCCC - which you can get at the British Curlies store. It's expensive, but lasts aaaaages and once you figure out how to use it, it's sort of essential. Aside from that, I'm not sure - I put my hair up in the hottest part of summer, when I'd need the most hold, so I've never really tried dealing with the humidity and heat properly.

And you know, it's funny that you mention some of Boots' products no longer performing like they had. A few months ago I bought some curl creme to send to my mom (who is also a curly on these boards). She didn't like it, and so I figured I'd use it when I was home. Well, I don't know what that stuff was, but it certainly didn't act or smell at all like the Boots Pink I know. I opened up a different one and it was fine. I think their quality control is a bit dodgy, so maybe you've just gotten a bad pot?

No ideas for a replacement freezing spray, unfortunately. What are you using currently?

Also, out of pure curiosity, why do you say you can't go completely no-poo?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file