LaBella and LA Looks Curl Gels

musica_almusica_al Registered Users Posts: 94 Curl Connoisseur
Has anyone tried La Bella Lots of Curls gel? (Pink- hold level 8 )

I also saw LA Looks Curl Looks Gel and was wondering about that one, too. (Light Blue- Hold level 8 I think)

Is there any reason they are "curl" gels? They both say they 'activate' curls. How do they compare to other 'cheap' gels, either other varieties of the same brand or different brands.

Any opinions? I know many people use LA Looks brand here but I'm specifically asking about the "Curl Looks" variety. Same with the La Bella- specifically the Lots of Curls kind.

Thanks!
Chin length 3A Prodcuts: Burt's Bees More Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner; All in One Spray ; searching for ideal styling products

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I use the LA Looks Curl Gel every day (have for months). It has good hold, but isn't overly crunchy (once you scrunch it out) and it doesn't dry my hair out.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    darn i bought the wrong LA looks gel! i got the sport one. will it make a diff or should i return it? i haven't used it yet but idk if i have the reciept
    3b-3c CG
    I use the LA Looks Sport gel on occasion so you might just give it a try. I know some of the curlies here really like the Sport gel.
  • EbonyCurlsEbonyCurls Registered Users Posts: 15
    I got really good definition and shine from the LA Looks curls, but if you have dark hair beware...it flakes even though it says it doesn't on the package.
    ops
    3b-3c CG
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    i've recently started using the Sport gel (level 10 hold-i think) the blue one. so far i am really pleased with the results. i am amazed at how much more curl i get when i use this. my hair is curlier when I use it. and my hair looks so shiny too. it does have a bit of crunch when its dry but i just scrunch it out. I am so glad I found this, thanks to NC.com, thank you to all who recomended it :D

I haven't noticed any flaking at all.

I only rinse a little of my conditioner out. then i apply (my hair is still dripping wet) Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer(its a cream styler), LA Looks Sport. then plop about 10 min. then diffuse till about 70% dry.
    *My 2nd day hair has been looking pretty good to. i just spritz with Lavendar mist to refresh curls. add a pea size amount of gel if i need to.

i'd recommend it, and for the price, you can't go wrong.
    hope that helps.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    I use LA Looks Curl gel and never notice any flaking (Only if I go a few days between washes do I see flakes, but that's just my scalp). I first bought it over the winter and liked it a lot then. It's okay but I noticed that it's not enough hold during the summer. I tried the Sport gel last year and I remember it left my hair super stiff...but I don't remember if it dried it out. I may pick up one of the sample tubes and try it again. I haven't tried La Bella but I have been tempted to do so.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • jenjenjenjen Registered Users Posts: 188
    I bought this gel (La Bella Curls) and applied some to dry hair and it made my curls curlier!! It didn't make my hair stiff or anything it was great. I can't wait to try it on wet hair. I hope it has good hold.

.png

.png
    .png

.png

Between 3a/3b
    “Law is order, and good law is good order” (Aristotle).
    EbonyCurls wrote:
    I got really good definition and shine from the LA Looks curls, but if you have dark hair beware...it flakes even though it says it doesn't on the package.

I have dark hair and have never had any flaking with the Curls gel.
    i used it and there weren't any flakes thank goodness.. i overreacted.
    3b-3c CG
    Ok I got AWESOME clumps with this (la bella) gel!! It rocked. Only issue is yet again hold. I think I might try mixing it with something stronger but for 2 bucks and I mean AWESOME clumps I'm sold. Best clumping product I've tried so far.
    oh yea... no flakes... not any at all and I have very thick and lots of hair

.png

.png
    .png

.png

Between 3a/3b
    jenjen wrote:
    Ok I got AWESOME clumps with this gel!! It rocked. Only issue is yet again hold. I think I might try mixing it with something stronger but for 2 bucks and I mean AWESOME clumps I'm sold. Best clumping product I've tried so far.
    oh yea... no flakes... not any at all and I have very thick and lots of hair

Which one? The LA Looks or the La Bella?
    La Bella oops
    .png

.png

Between 3a/3b
    I tried the La Bella curl gel this morning. It goes on thicker than the LA Looks curl gel so I thought it would be stiff. However, it dries soft, clumps nicely, but the hold/definition is not as good as the LA Looks. It gives my hair a different look from the LA Looks (a bit poufier), but I don't mind this and will use it again. I might spray my hair when it's dry with a gel/water mixture for a little more definition.
    Anyone see anything "iffy" in the La Bella curl gel ingredients:
    Deionized Water , Sorbitol , Glycerin , PVP , Propylene Glycol , Carbopol , Cocus Nucifera Oil Coconut , Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil Hemp , Lanolin , Triethanolamine , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylparaben , Polysorbate-20 , Benzophenone-4 , Isosteareth-20 , Tetrasodium EDTA , Fragrance , Menthol , D&C Red No. 33
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Registered Users Posts: 945
    Maudie wrote:
    Anyone see anything "iffy" in the La Bella curl gel ingredients:
    Deionized Water , Sorbitol , Glycerin , PVP , Propylene Glycol , Carbopol , Cocus Nucifera Oil Coconut , Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil Hemp , Lanolin , Triethanolamine , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylparaben , Polysorbate-20 , Benzophenone-4 , Isosteareth-20 , Tetrasodium EDTA , Fragrance , Menthol , D&C Red No. 33
    The only thing I see is Menthol which is drying but it is way towards the end so it might not be a big deal. :)
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
    Thanks so much. It's interesting, with the LA Looks curl gel, my hair feels sort of dry the next morning. With the La Bella, my hair feels soft. Maybe it's the glycerin?
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    Could be the glycerin, plus it has a lot of oils and lanolin.
    Thanks, Suzen! I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but would these oils and lanolin build up over time? I CO wash daily and I'm assuming all of the ingredients are CG friendly? I'm not big on protein i.e. the coconut so I don't know if that will be a problem with time. Anyway, bottom line is, I like the results this gel gives me, but I don't want to get attached to a product that isn't good for my hair. :?
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    Unfortunately, my answer is "it depends." Some people's hair just soaks up the oils and they never get buildup. Some people are fine with just CO-washing, but some get gunky and need to shampoo.

However--I'm inclined to think that a gel would probably not contain enough of the oils to cause a problem. It's something you'll just have to experiment with.
  • one way streetone way street Registered Users Posts: 772
    bump.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Registered Users Posts: 336 Curl Neophyte
    Longtime user of LA Looks Curl Look Gel here, and it's very good. I have dark hair(reddish brown), and haven't noticed the flaking effect either. Tried the MegaMega Hold one(the yellow one), and although I loved the increased definition and hold, it had a drying effect on my hair. But at the time I was living in dry New Mexico so that might have had something to do with it. Might try it or the Sport version when the weather gets rainy here in San Francisco(pretty soon - rainy season often starts in November).
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Registered Users Posts: 2,159
    Has anybody used both LA Looks Curl gel and the La Bella Curl gel? How do they compare -- I think they are both level 8 hold. I used the La Bella today and my hair turned out great...was wondering if La Looks would do the same.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    What in the...is there curly psychic feelers in the air or something? Just yesterday I was in CVS eyeballing the bottle of "La Bella" Curls gel and made a mental note to run a search for it on the board because my Suave Anti-Frizz isn't doing to well in this dry cold NYC weather...you guys took the work out of that one! Do you think this gel will hold up in dry winter weather or is it too light of a hold?
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    I remember trying the La Bella during the summer and I think I am having better results now (winter)....I also picked up the LA LOOKS curl look gel and will be able to see how they differ.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

I just tried the LA LOOKS curl look gel -- so I will report back on the difference between it and La Bella Lots of Curls. So far, the LA LOOKS gel seems less thick -- it didn't give me that gooey feeling when I put it in my hair like the La Bella did -- not sure if that means a thing, but we'll see how it goes.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Ok, here's my take on the two gels:

The La Bella Lots of Curls gel is great at clumping, but I notice a little frizz on the ends about mid-day.

The LA LOOKS Curl Look Gel is a little easier to spread throughout hair, isn't as thick; seems to have a little more shine than the La Bella, but I have a little stringier curls with the La Looks. This gel has a little more hold than the La Bella too.

Overall, I think I may like the La Bella a little better -- even though it doesn't have as much hold, the clumping is great and provides pretty good hold without being stringy.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

I have now tried all 3 Herbal Essences gels. For my hair, they really don't hold a candle to the LA Looks Curl gel. Since I still have some La Bella left, I may try it and see how it does with winter hair.
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    I really didn't like either, they both were very crunchy, made my hair feel plasticy(is that a word?) and it flaked as well.
  • saronbellasaronbella Registered Users Posts: 70
    After I cut off my relaxer and grew my hair out I was addicted to La Bella. I used it daily when I wore my hair curly. It was flake-free when it dries and it's extremely cost effective. One tub would last forever and it was like five bucks! After a few years, I quit using gel and just started leaving conditioner in my hair but I might go back because I've had nothing but damage with leaving conditioner in my 3c curls.I had way healthier hair with the gel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file