Questions for Rou...

tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
I know that you are a big advocate of SPF. And I would love to stay youthful longer by simply applying spf every day. The thing I hate is the trial and error process of finding a good one, that can get expensive. I bought Neutrogena dry touch spf 45, it makes me oilier and seeps into my eyes throughout the day. Any suggestions for a better spf?

Also about how much do you apply to your face? A dime size? Quarter? And do you apply directly under your eyes and in the corner of your eyes to ward off crows feet and puffy eyes? How often does one have to reapply?

Is there anything I can do to prevent that eye bulge, puffy eye look that some people tend to get as they age? And prevent crows feet? And laugh lines?

I know you also say to wash your makeup brushes after every use because that can transfer bacteria. Do you really do that? I feel like I don't have the time to do that every day. And what if I haven't been doing that? Is my makeup now contaminated?
3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i apologize for taking so long to get back to you - i haven't been on NC in over a month!

since i can use oily sunscreens on my "mature" skin, i can only recommend products based on reviews elsewhere - ie. reading a lot and what other people tell me. face-specific sunscreens are going to be more expensive than those designed for the body - but it's worth it to prevent breakouts.

the Neutrogena Dry Touch comes highly recommended as non-greasy. others are:

Coppertone Spectra
    Coppertone Ultrasheer Face
    Kiehl's Water-based Sunscreen
    Aveda Dual-Nature Face Protection (only spf 15)

i've also seen raves for Paula Begoun's non-greasy sunscreen, but this is only spf 15; something called Blue Lizard from Australia only available through mail-order (spf 30 and surfers apparently swear by the stuff!); Alba Botanicals ($$$); and Lancome - which at least you can get at a department store in your neighbourhood.

i use a quarter-size for my face, neck and ears and NEVER put it higher than the tops of my cheekbones or anywhere it can get near my eyes!!! i wear HUGE dark sunglasses! it's squinting in the sunlight that gives you crow's feet!

if you're outside a lot - you have to reapply every 2 to 3 hours. if you're swimming - reapply after you get out of the water.

that "eye bulge" look you're talking about is hereditary. the ways to reduce the appearance are to elevate the head of your bed a bit so that fluids don't pool under your eyes at night, reduce your salt intake and use light, gel-based eye serums instead of heavy creams in that area. the only other remedy is surgery.

the only way to prevent laugh lines is to not laugh.

you can't prevent EVERY line that you're going to get!

do you really want to???? i have those lines that go from my nose to the corners of my mouth - partly hereditary, partly from grinning at people. i'm not going to stop smiling.

laugh lines are proof that you've lived WELL and happily!

i'm worried that you seem to be obsessed with preventing EVERY line. they are normal and give us character. try to relax about it and do what you can to protect your skin. it's more important to wear sunscreen to prevent skin cancer and protect from discolouration than wrinkles.

i don't wash my makeup brushes every day - usually once a week to every 10 days. at least for my blush and powder brushes. i have lots of cheap eye shadow brushes and don't use them all in the course of a week.

the most sure-fire way to contaminate your makeup is to share it with someone with an eye infection. daily use won't hurt it.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • Confused CurlyConfused Curly Posts: 229Registered Users
    tgreyz wrote:
    I know that you are a big advocate of SPF. And I would love to stay youthful longer by simply applying spf every day. The thing I hate is the trial and error process of finding a good one, that can get expensive. I bought Neutrogena dry touch spf 45, it makes me oilier and seeps into my eyes throughout the day. Any suggestions for a better spf?

Also about how much do you apply to your face? A dime size? Quarter? And do you apply directly under your eyes and in the corner of your eyes to ward off crows feet and puffy eyes? How often does one have to reapply?

Is there anything I can do to prevent that eye bulge, puffy eye look that some people tend to get as they age? And prevent crows feet? And laugh lines?

I know you also say to wash your makeup brushes after every use because that can transfer bacteria. Do you really do that? I feel like I don't have the time to do that every day. And what if I haven't been doing that? Is my makeup now contaminated?

OMG! I didn't know that was an oily product? It was next on my to try list. However, I ended up going to Canada and got two bottles of sunblock which is not yet sold in the US: Anthelios SPF 60+ and Vichy SPF 60+ with Mexoryl So far I have tried the Anthelios which is supposed to be the Rolls Royce of SPF and while it is a bit heavy, it isn't super greasy. I will report on the Vichy later.

An aside RE: Mexoryl. It has been approved by the FDA and will be sold in the US soon BUT only in an SPF 15 which means that if I like this stuff Canada and/or Mexico will be getting my business for the near future.

A friend of mine recommends Medi-Matte Oil Control Lotion SPF 20 but that is $42 at Sephora and Sephora.com. I've not tried it. Ever since I got my horrid face spot (see my post in the Proactiv thread) SPF 20 isn't SPF enough for me to bother.

Before I made it to Shoppers Mart of Canada - my favorite store EVER! I was using Hawaiian Tropic's Oil Free Faces Sunblock SPF 30 which I loved because it is very non-oily. However, it was a closeout product at Target ($3! Woo hoo) so I don't know if it is still out there.
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Neutrogena Ultra Sheer is actually not an oil-based product and doesn't cause oiliness for most people. (Sorry you had a bad experience, tgreyz.) The SPF 30 may have less of a tendency to cause oiliness or other problems...SPF 45 adds minimal extra protection and may not be worth it if it causes skin problems.

There are very few sunscreens that work well for oily skins. I can recommend DDF Matte Finish Photo-Age Protection, SPF 30. I've used this for a number of years and it really is non-oily. It's not cheap, about $25, but I only use it in my face and neck so it laste me nearly a year.

Edited to add a link to the place I order DDF from, DermStore. What I like is that they have free 2-day shipping.

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Matte+Finish+PhotoAge+Protection+SPF+30_2992.htm?lid=63743

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file