My hair won't air-dry properly... a few questions.

CrystalRainCrystalRain Posts: 170Registered Users
Hi everyone! I've "lurked" on this site for a long time and have learned a lot, but I got an account because I've been on CG for two weeks now and I need some advice.

I'm giving CG lots of time to work, as it's summer and I don't really have to worry so much. I've run into a few problems though I think the routine is working - I have a lot more volume at my crown and my hair feels softer. It does have a tendency to knot up a little and the curl is quite flat, but I'm holding out for another month or so before making a final verdict. Plopping and gels and things all work.

First of all, I have a new bottle of TRESemme Root Boosting Spray that I would like to use every now and then. I've read the ingredients and it seems fine, but are there any hidden chemicals I shouldn't be using? I've never seen it listed as CG-friendly, but I can't find anything that might be wrong about it!

Also, how often should I co-wash? I've been doing so every day and only just found out you're not supposed to. :angry3:

And lastly, my hair doesn't seem to like air-drying. It's a little past my shoulders and quite thick, but I never thought it would take so long to dry - if I plop for twenty minutes then leave it, safest for avoiding frizz, after four hours it's still kind of wet and crusty. When I go back to school I just can't let it take that long, so is there anything I should be doing before letting it dry besides putting in gel?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Started CG (properly) as of 6/31/2009.

Cowash | Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze or Juicy Green Apple
Rinse-out | Burt's Bees Super Shiny
Leave-in | Live Clean Intense Moisturizing
Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Welcome :)

I couldn't find the ingredients for the Tresemme - could you please post them? Generally their products are full of silicones, but there is the chance that it is ok to use.

As far as co-washing, it's completely individual. A lot of curlies start out co-washing everyday and gradually cut down on it. I co-wash every 2-3 days. It just depends on your scalp, so experiment! If everyday works best for you, then there really isn't any reason to change!

Four hours isn't unusual. Mine takes closer to six hours to air dry, which is why I diffuse. It cuts drying time to 1-2 hours. I think most people will recommend diffusing, but if you search around you may be able to find some threads on air drying. Good luck!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • CrystalRainCrystalRain Posts: 170Registered Users
    Thank you for that great advice! Here are the ingredients for the spray:

Water, alcohol denat., VP/methacrylamide/vinyl imidazole copolymer, polysorbate 20, fragrance, cetrimonium chloride, quaternium-80, propylene glycol, PVP, linalool, benzophenone-4, limonen, butylphenyl methylpropional, amyl cinnamal, hexyl cinnamal, citronellol, geraniol, ext. violet 2 (CI 60730), soluble collagen.

The thing I'm worried about is the benzophenone-4, I don't know if that's a silicone or not. Also, the quaternium, but since the Herbal Essences gels have something like that (polyquats?) I just assumed it was OK. If I used this once or twice after I started CG and it does have silicones, does that mean I'll have to start over with another sulfate wash?

I'll stick to the everyday until I can figure out a better regime. It confused me to hear that some people only use it twice a week - I love how it makes my scalp feel!

I also like diffusing - I've been scared of my hairdryer for the longest time, since I hate doing it, but I guess twenty minutes a day won't kill me. I could also try plopping at night so my hair dries overnight. Again, thanks for all your help. :mrgreen:
    Thick, mostly 2c with some 3a; fine texture, medium/high porosity, and a very strange curl & wave pattern.

Gel | HESMU

Right now: growing hair past shoulder-length, looking to take decent hair picture (my avatar is my first day of CG).
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Well, it's not a silicone. But the alcohol denat is a drying alcohol and it's pretty high up on the list. I don't think every and now then will do much, but it could be drying if you use it often.

As far as diffusing - even a little bit helps! Try the pixiecurl method if you haven't already. It really cuts down on frizz and is much easier to deal with.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=35501&highlight=pixiecurling

Polyquats are tricky - there's a lot of debate and confusion surrounding them. Here's the latest:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=80356&highlight=polyquats
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    OK, that clears that up. I've decided not to use the spray. I live in a very dry climate (midwestern Canada), and my hair definitely doesn't need even the slightest drying agent. I don't think I need it anymore, anyway, since I have a lot more volume with CG. This news about quats worries me, though, since the Herbal Essences gel I'm switching to soon, SMU, has one. I don't think I'll worry about it too much as long as it works.

Thanks for that info on pixiecurling, I'd never heard of it before! I'll definitely be using it.

Gel | HESMU

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    If your texture is fine, you should watch for overconditioning if you are co washing every day. It will make your hair soft, loosen your curl and add poof. Have you determined your texture yet? You might need to use something with proteins in it if your hair is on the finer side. That should give your curls some definition and a bit of bounce.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

I just read up on texture and I'm sure I've got coarse hair. It's very thick, but I didn't notice it before CG. It's already getting less limp! Do you think that ought to change my conditioning routine, or am I fine with daily/every second day?

Gel | HESMU

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    If you have coarse hair, I would be completely changing both conditioners you are currently using.

Suave Coconut is the only Suave Naturals that has protein in it. Your Burt's Bees is also heavy in proteins. (Water , Centrimonium Bromide & Cetearyl Alcohol - Coconut Oil Emulsifier , Sucrose Ester - Natural Sugar Ester , Vegetable Protein , Wheat Protein , Betaine - Sugar Beet , Vegetable Glycerin , Honey , Marula Oil , Glucose - Sugar , Brazil Nut Oil , Raspberry Extract , Bergamot Oil , Orange Oil , Eucalyptus Oil , Fennel Seed Oil , Strawberry Extract , Mandarin Petitgrain Oil , Litsea Cubeba Oil , Vanillin Oil , Davana Oil , Polysorbate 60 - Sugar Emulsifier , Fragrance , Glucose Oxidase & Lactoperoxidase - Natural Preservative)

Any of the other Suave conditioners might be better for you to use as a cowash product. I would try something else as a rinse-out. Maybe someone else will chime in on that for you.

Changing to lower protein content or protein free conditioners might fix that dry, poofy canopy hair. Remember, coarse hair needs emollients and fine hair needs protein.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

Really? I was planning on switching to Ocean Breeze soon (for no reason other than liking the scent better, but if protein's an issue, then that's an easy enough decision), but aside from that both conditioners seem to be working well for me at this stage in the CG process. :dontknow: Maybe I just don't know my texture? I've always thought of it as coarse but I really can't tell. From the description, it might be fine... xD This is difficult.

EDIT: I've always thought that way only because it's thick and copious, but it could just be that I have a LOT of fine hair (and that's the way I'm leaning right now, based on descriptions I've read on this site). Is there any way at all to tell?

I'll trust your judgment because I've still got a ways to go, so could you suggest another rinse-out? I usually only rinse it out partially anyway. My problem is, I'm not permitted to buy anything online and I haven't found another CG-friendly conditioner yet.

...Good heavens, I seem to be needing more help than I thought! :P

Gel | HESMU

• Kitty454Kitty454 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Ok, so I have been experiencing this 'taking FOREVER (hours, sometimes over 8 hours) for my hair to dry. I think I have nailed down why. This my sound weird/dumb but it is because my hair is DRY! So dry that I had zero curls left. It was really really damaged so I used BAQ henna over it to give it a little more strength and over time (and henna uses) my curl completely disappeared. Just a dry fuzzy mess, so I cut A LOT off myself in the bathroom. ahahahahha. I was just so sick of it being so horrible! The damage is mostly gone but still there is no curl! WHY WHY WHY?!!! My hair was like this for just under 1 year.
    After lots of research and home hair experiments (I have eliminated unnatural products [shampoo, conditioner and styling products] for a long time and was using Jojoba oil, avocado oil etc. etc. etc. and still I had no results until.... DA DA DA! Honey hair mask!!!

I thoroughly wet my hair with distilled water, gently scrunch out the excess water and evenly coat and massage in a mixture of natural honey and natural conditioner and let it sit for about 10 - 20 mins. Rinse with distilled water again, scrunch, a little more honey rubbed throughout. Then while still wet rub/scrunch warmed/melted raw shea butter and thoroughly through my hair as I can. Scrunch, scrunch, scrunch. And then a light coat of Jojoba oil.

So, moral of the story. Honey crazy good moisturizes the hair. While it is still wet you seal in the moisture with Shea Butter and oil. Let dry. You will notice nicer curls, soft hair when dry and... IT DOES DRY AGAIN! no more 8 hour wet hair! It takes my hair now maybe an hour to be 90% dry. MIRACLE! This worked for me, maybe it can work for you?:thumbup:
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    When you hold fine hair up to the light, it should look almost transparent and hard to see. Coarse hair is VERY visible and you can usually see that it looks thick and strong. Lots of curlies have fine hair but make the mistake of thinking they have coarse hair because there is so much of it. If your hair is reacting well to the products you're using now, I wouldn't change them. Coarse hair becomes hard and brittle and straw-like when too much protein is used on them, so unless your hair starts becoming like this, I'd say you're doing great and you should keep going with what you're doing. If a problem arises in the future, you can change it up then. You're on the right track! :)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file