My "educational" thread on the Brazillian keratin relaxer!

NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
I'm gonna be doing the Brazillian keratin relaxer once I get back from FL! (July 15-31) I've seen a lot of questions about it, and since I just got back from a consultation, I'd like to post this for anyone thinking about doing it. Sooo, here are the FAQ's and some added facts:

- "Is it gonna fry my hair?" That's the same question I asked my stylist. Actually, it helps your hair, because the keratin seals in the gaps in the hair shaft, helping it become relaxed. My stylist actually told me that there was this lady who bleached too many times and her hair was fried, so they did it on her to help repair it, and it came out as silky as ever. So, yeah, it's sort of like a conditioning treatment!:D

- "Will my hair be completely straight?" Only for the first four days. And please note that for the first 4 days IT IS CRITICAL DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON IT! MEANING NO PRODUCTS AND ESPECIALLY NO WATER! But once the 4 days are over, you can do anything you want (of course you're probably gonna need to low-poo). Once you shampoo it, you will have loose S-waves.

- It's very important that you do not expose it to sodium, otherwise, it will be back to the way it was before. And by sodium, I mean no sodium ANYTHING in products, and if you're going to the beach, try your best to keep it from getting wet. There are also special sprays that protect relaxed hair, but if I were you, I wouldn't take the risk of getting it wet at all. However, chlorine is not a problem, because it's not going to do anything to it, so you can swim in a pool as much as you want. The only thing you cannot expose it to is sodium. So, look on the ingredient list in your hair products for sodium, and if it contains anything like sodium chlorine, sodium hydroxide, etc., etc., then throw it out or give it away!

- The pros and cons...well, I guess the only con would be that it costs $250 every 4-5 months. The pros would be that, you would have looser, easy-to-manage waves and that it's finally a relaxer that HELPS your hair.

- Since your hair is not gonna be in tight curls and already moisturized because of the keratin, try not to overcondition it. I'm not saying use oily hair products but just give it some light moisture since it's gonna be wavy. Or, in other words, instead of following the curly girl method, follow the wavy girl method! You have to use the products approved by your hairstylist, though.

- In case anyone needs it, here are some starter products that I think are safe:

CONDITIONERS
- L'Oreal EverPure
- The conditioner provided by your stylist

SHAMPOOS
- L'Oreal EverPure
- The shampoo provided by your stylist

You're welcome:happy4:
:toothy4::toothy4:
"Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
DT: GF Triple Nutrition

Comments

• PJsMomPJsMom Posts: 173Registered Users
    this is very informative and very helpful, it's great that you took time to post this.
    3c/4a

BC - 25 July 2006
  • CurlsAnew24CurlsAnew24 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks for posting this! However...

Protein is not a conditioner/moisturizer. It's a hair fortifier. Water provides moisture, protein provides strength/structure.
    Btw, did she say what makes the curls looser? I've always wanted to know this.
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users

Protein is not a conditioner/moisturizer. It's a hair fortifier. Water provides moisture, protein provides strength/structure.

Oopsie...:laughing8:He said that the keratin fills in gaps in the hair follicle, which is what helps it relax. And unfortunately, I've just been informed that I'm gonna need to use the products provided, so I'm gonna miss my HEHH!

• CurlsAnew24CurlsAnew24 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Ok thanks!
  • theywilltearusaparttheywilltearusapart Posts: 15Registered Users
    I can't wait to see your hair after the treatment. Goodluck.
    (:
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
    Thanks! I've had my hair straight with a flat-iron, but not stick-straight for four whole days! Hmm...I wonder what would happen if I wait 5 or 6 days to wash it...:pl:Just curious

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte

That and it's not the keratin that relaxes the hair, it's the aldehydes. If it was that easy, people would just buy keratin conditioner to straighten their hair.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • AphroDivaAphroDiva Posts: 183Registered Users
    I can't wait to find out how it worked for you!!! Good Luck!!!:toothy8:
  • hanbananhanbanan Posts: 32Registered Users

That and it's not the keratin that relaxes the hair, it's the aldehydes. If it was that easy, people would just buy keratin conditioner to straighten their hair.

I disagree because using the 450 degree flat iron seals it into the hair. Yes there are chemicals but they aren't the only things that do the job

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file