Is zumba only for younger folks?

2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
I'm 47 and intrigued by zumba - but hesitate going to a class and looking like an idiot! Any 40 - 50 somethings doing zumba?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Comments

• curlynycurlyny Registered Users Posts: 21
    I haven't tried zumba, but I have a 59 year-old co-worker who does it once a week. She says she doesn't get all the moves, but she loves the class.
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Registered Users Posts: 1,559
    no way, I'd say that most of the women in the classes I go to are in the 40-55 age range. It's for everyone and soooo much fun, great workout. as long as you can shake it a little, you can zumba :)
    just took a peek at your fotki btw, your gardens are beautiful!! I"m so jealous!
    have fun zumbaing!
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I don't do it (I'm 40-ish), but I know a lot of people older than I who do, at the Y where I'm a member.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I've done it (I'm mid 50's). It's fun but for my knees not so much (too much shuffling) I prefer NIA.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I met an instructor and she was late 40's. She said most of her students were 40's and up.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, everyone - I ordered a dvd to try at home, hoping to learn a couple of the steps ahead of time. Then I'll give it a shot at the Y. I'm hoping to find a fun indoor cardio workout that doesn't get too boring - seems like this might fit the bill.
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    2poodles wrote: »
    I'm 47 and intrigued by zumba - but hesitate going to a class and looking like an idiot! Any 40 - 50 somethings doing zumba?
    i've done Zumba for a couple years, and can tell you, its pretty much an all ages thing. I love to dance, especially latin, and its a good workout with moves reminiscent of latin dance. i'd say half the ladies in our classes were in thier 40's.
    I hurt my knee and need surgery, so I haven't been for a few months, and don't I miss it!
  • crwrittcrwritt Registered Users Posts: 705 Curl Neophyte
    I've done it (I'm mid 50's). It's fun but for my knees not so much (too much shuffling) I prefer NIA.

I agree. The side to side moves in zumba have helped aggravate my already injured knee so now I get to have arthroscopic surgery.

I like Nia too, but the classes are sort of pricey. Maybe after the surgery I'll get back into one or the other.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    So funny, I was tempted to take a Zumba class at my gym this a.m, but I chickened out at the last minute.

Do you think a gal without natural rhythm (and was never very good at picking up dance moves) can enjoy Zumba? I can pick up the moves in other group exercise classes (body combat, body step, etc...)
    So I FINALLY made it to a zumba class - actually it was Zumba Lite! Turns out it was a lot of fun!!!

yay! Glad you liked it, is Zumba lite a lower impact zumba?

LA, have you tried it yet? I think it depends, it definitely takes a few classes to get the hang of the basic steps. the choreography to all of the songs is pretty much a variation of the basics. I say if you can pick up moves in other classes, you'll definitely be able to get and enjoy zumba. You might just find that little dancing soul within you that has it's own sense of natural rhythm:)

I've been doing zumba for over a year now and it definitely gets easier and more fun the more I do it. I'm considering becoming an instructor since my membership is up at my gym in Feb, and they are looking for more zumba instructors.
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Zumba lite is the same exact thing as regular Zumba - same moves, same songs, just a little slower. It's supposed to be a good way to learn the steps. Then one can progress more comfortably - and confidently - to full Zumba. I figure I'll stick with the lite version for another couple classes then graduate!

And mc3 - becoming an instructor is a GREAT idea! I'd never do it, though, 'cause I wouldn't want everyone staring at my butt the whole time trying to figure out how to get their hips moving like mine!! And I'm pretty sure anyone watching my butt wouldn't want their hips moving like mine!!

oh, I see. Zumba lite sounds like a great way to get the hang of it. lmbo about the people watching your butt/hips...I have no shame. I just shake it and let my hips/butt do the leading :p
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
  • MandeeliciousMandeelicious Registered Users Posts: 5
    LAwoman wrote: »
    So funny, I was tempted to take a Zumba class at my gym this a.m, but I chickened out at the last minute.

Do you think a gal without natural rhythm (and was never very good at picking up dance moves) can enjoy Zumba? I can pick up the moves in other group exercise classes (body combat, body step, etc...)

I was half terrified when I started zumba because I had never even stepped on a dancefloor because I simply don't know how to move. I decided to be brave one day and just do it, and I definitely looked a little slow and weird, but I kept at it. The moves themselves are not that difficult although they seem that way at first, but the music is fun. It also helps if you have a fun group of people taking the class with you. some people just go there, do their thing, and bounce, but the group at the gym I go to are all insane which makes it fun. So... if you havent tried it already ,you should becuase it will be fun once you get the hang of it... if you have already tried it, then you know!
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    LA, have you tried it yet? I think it depends, it definitely takes a few classes to get the hang of the basic steps. the choreography to all of the songs is pretty much a variation of the basics. I say if you can pick up moves in other classes, you'll definitely be able to get and enjoy zumba. You might just find that little dancing soul within you that has it's own sense of natural rhythm:icon_smile:

Hey there-- After all this time-- I finally tried Zumba this past Thursday.

Yes I felt quite uncoordinated and was definitely lost on a good bit of the choreography but.... I LOVED it! Seriously-- I can't wait to go back next week. I got a *great* workout in, had a blast and just felt really good afterwards.

2 thumbs up for Zumba! :D
    yay! so glad you liked it! you'll find you'll love it even more the more you go:blob7:
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I went to my first Zumba class tonight and I totally loved it. It was so much fun. It was fast paced and a little tricky in spots but the music was so fast and I just made up a few of my own moves when I couldn't follow correctly. :wink:
  • destinych3destinych3 Registered Users Posts: 291
    Zumba is tricky for someone as uncoordinated as I. Kudas to you all for having fun with it
    Avi pic: Damp,freshly washed/ DC'd hair
    3c/4a:glasses8:

:alien:APL and beyond:alien:
    http://public.fotki.com/destinych3:hello1:
    Updated 102209
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    I love Zumba. I just feel more confident and sexy after a workout. I have very few of those moments 98% of the time. :goofy:
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • erikaxelectrik7erikaxelectrik7 Registered Users Posts: 90
    NO! Not at all!

My grandmother does Zumba and she's 58, and so does my 77 year old great grandmother. No one looks at them like they're idiots and they have a ton of fun doing it. Zumba is for all ages.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file