gave up on cg- happy medium

So I tried CG for around 3 months. I tried a couple of the sauve naturals as co washes, loreal vive pro as conditioner (the yellow bottle and the pink one), and la bella curly gel stuff.

Anyway, my hair looked okay at the beginning but not actually any better than it had been pre-CG, and then it went downhill... seemed like it was always limp and over conditioned, and if it wasn't, it was dry and frizzy. I also had trouble finding products that I could use, and I didn't have the budget for anything besides drugstore products.

Anyway, the other day, I had just hit every store in town looking for anything CG, my hair was a wreck and had been for a while, and I ended up deciding that I was going to quit CG, bought a huge bottle of herbal essences, and now have better hair than I have since May.

But... I'm still not quite ready to give up on CG, so I was wondering about any sort of happy medium options?

my hair- 3b/3c, fine-ish, normal porosity (I think).

Comments

• teaberryblueteaberryblue Posts: 6Registered Users
    There are lots of ways to go shampoo-free or at least sulfate-free, not just one be-all and end-all.

My friend who encouraged me to go shampoo-free is not doing a conditioner wash at all. She is just rinsing her hair with water and then doing a baking soda/ACV rinse every couple of weeks. She seems really happy with it like that. You can also do things like lemon juice rinses, egg rinses, bread rinses, oils...see what works best for you!
  • DataData Posts: 19Registered Users
    I gave up on no-pooing as well, but am still sulfate and cone free. I use Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner now. Water only left me with very unpredictable hair and white waxy residue. Conditioner only was better, but still my hair was unpredictable and when I needed a good hair day, I had to just cross my fingers.

So back to shampooing I went and I'm happy! But since I've stayed away from sulfates and cones, I've noticed a huge improvement in the feel of my hair. No more dry ends even after flat ironing. And I can keep the volume at my roots that I've come to love after a shampoo. A happy medium for me!
    Sulfate/cone free since May 8th, 2009 Type: 3a, fine, overly porous, protein sensitive
    Wash: Suave Naturals, no leave-ins or poos of any kind and I couldn't be happier.
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    I'd recommend finding a sulfate-free shampoo - lots of the more "natural" and organic brands are sulfate free. You could find loads of recommendations for those on this site.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    I'm liking [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl Cleansing Cream[/buylink] as a "low poo" right now and following it up with Giovanni Triple Treat Tea Tree condish. GVP balm is good for a leave in, it gives me good curl formation.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list