Should wavy girls go no-poo too?

And what should they also do when it comes to brushing and combing? Ever since I went no poo my wavy haired friend has been asking me for tips. :P
I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    for brushing and combing always use detangler
    3b-3c CG
  • kimmyckimmyc Registered Users Posts: 551
    I tried the no poo thing and my hair got a little build up and gunky feeling after time that I felt like I couldn't get rid of. Since then I now use sulfate free cleansers and I alternate using those and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva No Poo[/buylink] or Suave Tropical Coconut to wash, usually every 3 days or so. The sulfate cleanser I like best is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream[/buylink] and I end up using it about once every 7-10 days. I try to wash with it before I do a dt.

I detangle with my fingers in the shower with conditioner in and occasionally with a comb the same way.

I can get 2nd day hair and sometimes 3rd day hair but if I wet it down and it's not a wash day then I'll just use conditioner to detangle from about my ears down.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • who knew?who knew? Registered Users Posts: 8
    I did CO washes only with my waves for abot 2 1/2 years, and my hair liked it.

I went off the wagon but I've been starting again. Mostly it's just about what your particular hair needs. Mine is kind of dry, and especially after using shampoo for a while, so when I first start CG (both times) I need a lot of moisture. After it recovers a bit, it seems to need less.

If I feel like it needs a sulfate free poo, believe me I'll do it! The way I see it, it's just about being gentle with your hair and giving it what it needs, rather than going by a schedule or outside set of rules (be those rules to shampoo or rules not to!).

Tell her to give it a try! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
    shoulder length, dark brown and 2b-ish
  • cianiciani Registered Users Posts: 4
    shampoo is horrible on my hair which is.. well, I don't know exactly. 2b maybe. It has short layers right now. Anyway.. I started using no poo and one condition and I love it. Before this I was using aveda sap moss conditioner every day with sap moss shampoo once a week or less. My hair is curlier because sap moss is a lot thicker, but I never had a build up feeling. I scrub my scalp very well.
    Above the shoulders layered 2b/3b(?) hair. Some days it is curly and wavy, other days it's wavy. Even if I dry it straight; it never is.
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    I'm a wavey (I call it 2b but somedays it's curlier and some days it's straighter), and usually I do a single CO (no 2nd conditoner) with the cheapest cone-free conditioner I can find during which I comb out tangles. Then I kinda do exactly what most curlies do, either plop with some gel in it or if I'm in a hurry, use a towel to scrunch out water followed by scrunching in gel. Usually works okay, kinda depends on the humidity. My waves have gotten wavier since going CG. If you have the book you should loan it to your wavy friend, it has some special instructions for us wavy women.

I can get 2nd or 3rd day waves by spritzing and re-scrunching (sometimes I'll comb first sometimes I won't), and sometimes I do a shampoo (monthly maybe, it depends). I'm not really too strict about anything :P
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • ChrematisaiChrematisai Registered Users Posts: 85
    I'm 2a/b-ish, and my hair is loving the CG thing. I generally CO wash my hair every second day or so, and maybe once a week, I mix 1/4 cup of baking soda and a cup of water and scrub my scalp with that. That takes care of any buildup, and helps a ton if my scalp is feeling itchy. I've lost track of how long it's been since I shampooed my hair, and I find my hair responds fine to a cheap drugstore conditioner so long as it's cone-free. Lately I've been using L'Oreal Vive for fine limp hair, and it was about 5 bucks at Shoppers.
    "A face without freckles is like a night without stars"

~Jenny
  • curlcrazy25curlcrazy25 Registered Users Posts: 111
    My mum is a wavy and she's been asking me about everything and trying all my hair products. Right now she's liking JR Liggets (or something like that) shampoo bars - all natural ingredients. I also put soft curl cream (GF) in her hair and it made her waves wavier, so maybe that will work for her. It's so hard when she keeps asking me about all this, though, because I don't really know anything about wavy hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file