Hair Cut in Denver/or Dickey

clairebeardenclairebearden Posts: 3Registered Users
I am turning the big 5-0 in 10 weeks. I just lost 40 pounds, my only daughter is getting married in a year and I have been working non stop. I am have very curly hair and can honestly say I don't think I have ever had a hair cut I liked. I went natural (grey) about 2 years ago.
I have yet to find a stylist I like in Denver. So for my 50th present to myself I am considering flying to NYC and getting my hair cut by Dickey in the new Hair Rules salon.

Any advice anyone???? Should I save my money and maybe there is someone awesome here in Denver or is Dickey worth the trip?

TIA

Claire

Comments

• mandirose1mandirose1 Posts: 69Registered Users
    I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations. I live in Denver too and I've had my hair cut by 4 different people already without any great cuts.
    So, I'm going to be watching this thread closely! Hopefully, someone will know where to go!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wish you could find a salon in Denver, but if you can't I think a cut from Dickey is a nice present. Alternately there's a great salon in Washington DC which may be closer, Salon Revive (Yodit).
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • allicatallicat Posts: 134Registered Users
    How much are cuts at a Dickey salon?
    CG
    3a-ish & fine stranded, Botticelli type curls
    Currently using low poo/no poo & Ouidad Stylers
    http://public.fotki.com/allishags/
  • EOHEOH Posts: 30Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wanted to let you know about Erik who works at Scarlet Salon in the Highland area. I wrote the review for him last year. I continue to go to him which is the longest I've been with a hairstylist in years. In this past year he has become Deva certified, even before he was Deva certified he was cutting hair in that method. He cuts hair dry, which he mists and cuts each curl individually. I have always walked out loving my hair, previously I would bring a ponytail holder and usually have to use it. He loves curly hair with a passion, I have never met a stylist who is that into curly hair. My first haircut he had me read Curly Girl, which is how I found this website and the CG method,(although I am modifed CG). He is reasonably priced, on time, and a very nice guy. I hope that helps !
  • mandirose1mandirose1 Posts: 69Registered Users
    Scarlet Salon is really convenient to me (I could even walk!) but I used to go to a stylist there that I chose not to see after he started relegating everything I came in for to the salon assistant.

Is it bad form to go in here to Erik anyway? Obviously, I want to go to the guy that specializes in curls but I really don't want any drama with that other guy. What to do. I wish there wasn't any silly salon drama...
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i would go to see the stylist i wanted -- go see eric.

i've been told over the years by many stylists that the salon is just happy to have you as a customer and it is the nature of the business that people change stylists.

you have a right to choose who you want to cut your hair. if you see that other person and you think he recognizes you, i would just smile and nod hello.
    i say, go for it!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I would go back and see Erik, cutting curly hair is what he is known for. I have never had anyone spend so much time on my hair. I used to be out of salons in 1/2 hour, unless they asked to straighten my hair. He will never ask to straighten your hair, he loves curly hair. Scarlet is a pretty big salon, so maybe you might not run into him.
  • clairebeardenclairebearden Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks for the tip. I have been to Scarlet - even tried it twice. The first was bad and decided to give it another try - the 2nd time I was kept waiting FORTY FIVE minutes. I was on time. I got no money off, had to miss work etc. I cried after the 2nd cut. They didn't even offer a discount on product. I bet Eric is great but I won't give Scarlet any more of my business.

I went to the person advertised as their curly expert

Thanks for the post thouugh
    I am so sorry about your negative experiences at Scarlet. Erik just meets me at the front on time. I don't blame you for not going back. I've read a few things about Ricky Bell at Sola salon. You might be able to pm those people and find out more about him. From what I've read the people seem very happy with their hair. Congrats on your 40 lb weight loss, that is awesome !
  • clairebeardenclairebearden Posts: 3Registered Users
    Have you tried Shapes?
    I have not tried Shapes. I have a friend of a friend who has gone to Richelle for years and she has pretty hair. I have seen mixed reviews for a few of the stylists. I suggest making an appointment to meet them and discuss what you want for your hair. I feel like you can get a lot of info from meeting them.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    EOH wrote: »
    I have not tried Shapes. I have a friend of a friend who has gone to Richelle for years and she has pretty hair. I have seen mixed reviews for a few of the stylists. I suggest making an appointment to meet them and discuss what you want for your hair. I feel like you can get a lot of info from meeting them.

i strongly disagree!! i do not think you can tell how well a person cuts hair by talking to them. it's a start, but it does not always mean it will play out that way. i did that with someone local by me who got a few good reviews on nc (i suspect they were friends), she was 'deva-inspired' i guess. well, the consult went well, the haircut went 'south.' it took me two haircuts with my regular stylist who is a distance away to correct it.
    if she is already getting mixed reviews..... of course, not everyone likes a stylist, it depends on what they are complaining about. but..... how many bad reviews vs how many good reviews?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • cmhoycmhoy Posts: 2Registered Users
    I've tried Shapes. Very, very costly, around $75 when it was all done. While I appreciate a stylist taking the time to work with my hair, I think a couple of hours is a bit much. I wish I had nice, straight hair where my cut could be 1/2 an hour and I'm out, but noooo.

Anyway, I saw Julia McBride, very skilled in the Deva way. I was overall happy with my cut, but so not happy with the price. She was very careful with me, as I told her about my horror stories of having my hair chopped.

I like the asymmetrical style and she did a good job with no pyramid hair.

I'm thinking of trying Scarlet (Erik) as I'm hoping the cost might be a little bit less?

Also, it's quite helpful if we share our hairtypes, as some stylists are good with just a certain type.

I'm a 3B I believe.

http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/hairtypes.html
  • cmhoycmhoy Posts: 2Registered Users
    And I see Erik charges $65. Is this what I'm down to? Paying close to $100 for a freaking cut?? Ridiculous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file