No Poo and Deva products

Hello fellow curlies. I started no poo yesterday and I am scheduled for a Deva cut next week. I know I will get sold on products... Do the Deva products have any silicones or sulfates in them? Can I use Deva products and still be a "No Poo" girl?
Mishee

Fine, highly porous, 3b

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You can buy the Deva products, if you want to spend a lot of money for cheap ingredients. I would suggest doing some research on this site before you do. Most of us don't care for them. There are tons of great products out there.

My hair prefers the more natural products.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • faithcurliefaithcurlie Posts: 28Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    You can buy the Deva products, if you want to spend a lot of money for cheap ingredients. I would suggest doing some research on this site before you do. Most of us don't care for them. There are tons of great products out there.

I'm confused as to where the "cheap ingredients" comes in? For me, Deva works fantastically, but others not so much. If you don't like it, cool, but would you be able to specify which ingredients are "cheap"?
    3c/4a TWA - BC August 2008
    4.5" of growth in 11 months!
    staples: DevaCurl One C (condish) DevaCurl NoPoo, DevaCare One C (leave-in), DevaCurl Set it Free (lock in moisture), DevaCare Arc Angell (for humid days or when I want a defined curl), DevaCurl Mirror Curls (de-frizz serum), Jessicurl WDT (DT)

...also, every single ingredient in the products, even preservatives are botanically derived. Not to be rude, but unless you're a chemist you can't possibly know.
    staples: DevaCurl One C (condish) DevaCurl NoPoo, DevaCare One C (leave-in), DevaCurl Set it Free (lock in moisture), DevaCare Arc Angell (for humid days or when I want a defined curl), DevaCurl Mirror Curls (de-frizz serum), Jessicurl WDT (DT)
    Hello fellow curlies. I started no poo yesterday and I am scheduled for a Deva cut next week. I know I will get sold on products... Do the Deva products have any silicones or sulfates in them? Can I use Deva products and still be a "No Poo" girl?

Hi CurlyQ! What stylist are you seeing? Also, ALL of the products are sulfate-free and silicone free. I use ALL of them in conjunction and I'm very happy. Also, the no-poo method (Curly Girl method) was thought up by Lorraine Massey who is a co-owner of Devachan/Devacurl. Hope this helps!

I'm confused as to where the "cheap ingredients" comes in? For me, Deva works fantastically, but others not so much. If you don't like it, cool, but would you be able to specify which ingredients are "cheap"?

I'm not the only one who feels that way, here's a thread about the One C ingredient changes:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=72493

The new ingredient list for [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]DevaCurl One Condition[/buylink] is:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Oleo Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricia) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum).

When they changed the ingredients, they put the cheap stuff at the top (most) and the botanicals went to the bottom of the ingredient list.

There are other similar threads, like the one about the new Deva serum:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=78050&highlight=Mirror

If you like the products and want to buy them, that's something you can do. The OP wanted to know about buying them, when they made the push during her hair cut.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deva is a perfectly decent product -- it's just that it is tremendously overpriced. Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride are all very standard hair conditioner ingredients and can be found in lots of hair products. The botanicals that are at the end of the list sound lovely but they are in tiny quantities and don't have nearly the efficacy that the first few ingredients have.

It's a free country and people can buy whatever they want, though, and if Deva rocks your boat, by all means use it! Do know, though, that there is nothing special about that ingredient list that would justify the price tag.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Deva is a perfectly decent product -- it's just that it is tremendously overpriced. Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride are all very standard hair conditioner ingredients and can be found in lots of hair products. The botanicals that are at the end of the list sound lovely but they are in tiny quantities and don't have nearly the efficacy that the first few ingredients have.

It's a free country and people can buy whatever they want, though, and if Deva rocks your boat, by all means use it! Do know, though, that there is nothing special about that ingredient list that would justify the price tag.

Totally understand what you're saying. I've never really spent under $18 or $40 for a hair product that I LOVED though. VO5 hated me and so did Suave. I liked Jessicurl but I think the oils/butters were too heavy for my hair.
    Totally understand what you're saying. I've never really spent under $18 or $40 for a hair product that I LOVED though. VO5 hated me and so did Suave. I liked Jessicurl but I think the oils/butters were too heavy for my hair.

My hair didn't care for the Jessicurl, either. Made it limp and lifeless after a week. Not to guano this thread, but have you looked at Curl Junkie? (maybe the OP is interested in finding out other products) While they do have some oils and butters, the balance seems to be "just right" and people with all different hair types, textures and porosity seem to like the products. Well worth the money, IMHO. There are several other really nice lines that are out there, like Komaza, Kinky Curly, Donna Marie (she just posted new products) and Darcy's Botanicals (she just posted new products.)
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file