What to use instead of Jamila Henna

AnthroDivaAnthroDiva Registered Users Posts: 19
So, I've been following the coloring thread (especially since my 1st 2 attempts at coloring my dark brown/black hair red have both resulted in dark brown/black hair).

I am convinced that henna is definitely the way to go (especially since I am too scared to do permanent color and/or lifting/bleaching at home).

I went to the hennaforhair.com/mehandi.com sites, read the ebook, and (using the collective suggestions of fellow CGs who use henna) I looked for Jamila henna. They either no longer sell this type (or they're hiding it =). So has anyone used any other type of henna? Based on the options available on the site, I would be best advised to use:
1) Henna from Yemen; or
2) Henna for African Hair

I prefer trying henna, but my next step is to just go to a local salon.

Thanks for any help/advice!
Last Relaxer: January 2008
LC aka "little chop": : June 2009
Hair Type (Andre): 4a/3c (but I feel more 'at home' in the 4a forum :toothy5::home:)
Hair Type (LOIS): OS, fine & spongy
Hair Type (AnthroDiva): decreasing interest in, yet increasing utility for hair typing systems :scratch:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://public.fotki.com/AnthroDiva/july-pictures/

Comments

• sillyelliesillyellie Registered Users Posts: 63
    AnthroDiva wrote: »
    So, I've been following the coloring thread (especially since my 1st 2 attempts at coloring my dark brown/black hair red have both resulted in dark brown/black hair).

I am convinced that henna is definitely the way to go (especially since I am too scared to do permanent color and/or lifting/bleaching at home).

I went to the hennaforhair.com/mehandi.com sites, read the ebook, and (using the collective suggestions of fellow CGs who use henna) I looked for Jamila henna. They either no longer sell this type (or they're hiding it =). So has anyone used any other type of henna? Based on the options available on the site, I would be best advised to use:
    1) Henna from Yemen; or

Instead of searching online try buying one from a local indian store or an authentic threader/henna place. I went to one at my mall and they sold tons of imported henna packages for your hair. goodluck!
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    AnthroDiva wrote: »

1) Henna from Yemen; or

They are hiding it :):

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/personalstash/

I like Jamilla more than Yemen. I find that the red looks truer.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • lisasandlisasand Registered Users Posts: 71
    I use Karishma herbal henna and I buy online at this site that I found thru the LHC forum. http://ruchita.mybisi.com/
    Hair analysis results - medium texture, low porosity and normal elasticity.
    Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50
    Co-wash: Suave naturals waterfall mist or wildcherry blossom
    Gel: Loving flax seed gel!
    Henna - yemeni henna and indigo from hennasooq
  • AnthroDivaAnthroDiva Registered Users Posts: 19
    :love5:

Thanks so much. I have been obsessing over dying my hair with henna ever since I started reading this thread (and the hennaforhair ebook) about a week or so ago.

Now I can look forward to posting pictures of my pretty pretty 'henna hair' =).
    Last Relaxer: January 2008
    LC aka "little chop": : June 2009
    Hair Type (Andre): 4a/3c (but I feel more 'at home' in the 4a forum :toothy5::home:)
    Hair Type (LOIS): OS, fine & spongy
    Hair Type (AnthroDiva): decreasing interest in, yet increasing utility for hair typing systems :scratch:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://public.fotki.com/AnthroDiva/july-pictures/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file