We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Lalala gonna get jumped for this.. Perm to enhance curls?

Just been wondering about what a perm could possibly do to enhance curls?

I've been considering it when my hair grows out, for certain areas that tend to remain straight or wavy.

I know, I know.. I should just embrace my natural hair type. And it would be damaging as heck. But I want to satisfy my curiosity.. has anyone done/considered this as well?

It's hard being a wavy most of the time.. And today, my hair went nearly completely straight :/ I just wanna be a curly again!

*ahem* /rant over. But seriously, anyone have this done before? :angel11:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]CG since 6/26/09! Also growing out!

Thick borderline 2C/3A (hair wavy at this length), mostly medium, high porosity (I think!)

Current products in rotation: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner followed by Suave Coconut Conditioner (CO wash). GVP K-Pak k/o (once a week). Sunsilk Hair Oil mix (international product) & castor Oil.

Comments

• mandirose1mandirose1 Posts: 69Registered Users
    I'm not gonna lie... I've thought about it. It would be wonderful for every hair on my head to curl!

I've never had any serious chemical process on my hair though, and I'm way too much of a wuss to try this! One can dare to dream of the perfect curls though!
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    I did see one girl on the 3b thread that had permed her hair to get 3b curls.
    I've considered getting like one bit of mine permed lol cause the very front it like type 1 literally and the rest is 3b haha!!!
    Very strange. But my mum told me it's always been like that since I was tiny.
    Have you tried many different products to enhance your curls??
    Or maybe a different product application method?
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• Kelly512Kelly512 Posts: 23Registered Users
    The top of my head is finicky -- sometimes I get terrific root curl (normally just in the winter) while in the summer it is just wavy.

I once got a perm just on the top and it did not 'take'. I thought that was strange....but I digress.

Personally, I would not do it again. I would rely on product and acceptance of your natural hair pattern. :icon_smile:
    2B on top/3A on bottom w/ a little 3B mixed in.... Medium w/ med porosity

Cleanse: V05 or Suave Clarifying Condish

Moisturize: AOHR, GVP Balm, TooShea, Kenra

Stylers: CJ CCCC & Smoothing Gellie, BRHG

Other: ACV rinse when needed, Jessicurl WDT weekly

Just discovered Curl Junkie products! :love1:
  • VanedaVaneda Posts: 402Registered Users
    I've done it and posted on here about it before.

I have a small area at the nape of my neck that refuses to curl, so I had that area spot permed. I LOVED the results.

Its probably been a year now since I had it done and all of it hasn't grown out so that area is still behaving.

Given it involves such a small area of hair on my head I would do it again without hesitation.
    2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
    For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
    Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    i've thought about this often. but i could never go thru with it. i have virgin hair- i've never dyed it or chemically alter or anything!! and to be honest, i'm a chicken for anything like that. i often though about trying wash n curl to see if it would work, but i dont know what kind of ingredients are in that so i stay away.

nothing wrong with wanting well behaved curls :D
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've done it. It worked fine. No damage; looked natural.

Gave it up though, in favor of having my natural waves rather than curls.
    i've thought about this often. but i could never go thru with it. i have virgin hair- i've never dyed it or chemically alter or anything!! and to be honest, i'm a chicken for anything like that. i often though about trying wash n curl to see if it would work, but i dont know what kind of ingredients are in that so i stay away.

HA don't be ridiculous?!?! Your hair is really curly and pretty, you're so silly!!! Lol.

• AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users
    I've thought about doing a perm to loosen my curls, and make them more consistent on my head. My nog ranges from 2c to 3b/c in different spots, with the majority being 3a. PITA. Besides that, I covet Del2c's gorgeous waves.:tongue10:
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    As you can all see, I have very tight 3b curls. Many years ago I let a stylist talk me into a perm to make all of my curls "uniform". We used the largest rods possible and it didn't look ANY DIFFERENT. So what did I do? I let her talk me into just "combing" it through, allowing it to loosen all of my curl to a "body wave". Ha! My hair just laughed in her face and through frizz at her!:tongue2:

Never again.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• ladyrinaladyrina Posts: 33Registered Users
    Wow! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's been considering this..

Ella- I have the SAME problem. There are parts of my hair that just like being straight. No. BAD! Donotwant. My hair is so confused.

I would much rather have curly hair rather than wavy.. Which I know sounds bad, but it's just pure honesty. I used to put my hair up in pin-curls to make them curlier, but that took me too much time, and was a little hard to sleep in...

I'm going to stay CG as my hair grows out to see what happens, but if I do eventually go for it... Any tips about doing the perm? For those who already have experience with perms.. I want to see a professional for it, of course, but the chemical aspect makes me a little nervous. I've done a lot to my hair before and it withstands a LOT, but I've never done any chemical processing like perms/straightening.

Thanks all. I'm glad I could be honest on here! I'll embrace the waves.... for now >>

Thick borderline 2C/3A (hair wavy at this length), mostly medium, high porosity (I think!)

Current products in rotation: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner followed by Suave Coconut Conditioner (CO wash). GVP K-Pak k/o (once a week). Sunsilk Hair Oil mix (international product) & castor Oil.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users

HA don't be ridiculous?!?! Your hair is really curly and pretty, you're so silly!!! Lol.

ur the silly one!! :laughing4: i feel like my hair is unevenly curly with straight part as well. would be nice if the all curled the right way :). but you know what? never mind. uniformed curls are over-rated.:thumbleft:
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users
    You could try doing the skip-curl technique.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frizzoff.com%2FSkipCurl.aspx" class="Popup
    You don't have to use ck for it to work.
    ladyrina wrote: »
    Wow! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's been considering this..

Ella- I have the SAME problem. There are parts of my hair that just like being straight. No. BAD! Donotwant. My hair is so confused.

I would much rather have curly hair rather than wavy.. Which I know sounds bad, but it's just pure honesty. I used to put my hair up in pin-curls to make them curlier, but that took me too much time, and was a little hard to sleep in...

I'm going to stay CG as my hair grows out to see what happens, but if I do eventually go for it... Any tips about doing the perm? For those who already have experience with perms.. I want to see a professional for it, of course, but the chemical aspect makes me a little nervous. I've done a lot to my hair before and it withstands a LOT, but I've never done any chemical processing like perms/straightening.

Thanks all. I'm glad I could be honest on here! I'll embrace the waves.... for now >>
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've thought many times about doing it like mpgirl did. I have the same hair type as her and I've thought about using the perm to loosen my curls. However after reading tons of stuff about perming no thanks! To keep it that way I'd have to continue to perm. Breaking and re-breaking the disulfide bonds. After so many perms they are permanently broken. The perm solution will continually damage the cuticles of my hair and if I think I have frizzy hair now there'd come a day when I'd be wishing for my current frizz. I will suggest that you keep at the cg method for now for one reason. I have these bits at the sides of my head where sideburns would be growing if I were a man. You know the area I'm talking about? Well they've always been straight. ALWAYS. After being CG for three months now - they curl! They curl 3b just like the rest of my hair! I can't believe it.

Going CG takes time to see the results and they continue to increase- getting better and better the longer you're doing it.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    I think about doing the nape of my hair, where it's straight, but it would still be so different from the rest of my hair I'm not sure it would do what I want anyway. I have tight waves/loose curls (and I like them) everywhere else, and have never seen a perm accomplish a big diameter curl like that - plus the texture of the underneath hair is completely different, smooth and limp and much less coarse, so, unless I miss my guess, it would respond more like straight hair to the perm and not hold it well.

Since it's underneath it generally just looks like it's a longer layer.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • aaa00aaaa00a Posts: 284Registered Users
    I've definitely thought about it and continue to do so. I really want to have curly hair rather than wavy. Some days the waves are great, but most days the waves are stretched out into body waves lately...which sucks IMO. The front and sides are ok, but the back lays flat more often than not.

Everytime I see my sister I'm tempted to tell her to just perm it.

Kelly512 if the perm didn't take that means it wasn't left in long enough for your hair. It's a 'fine art' to get it right for some people. I had my hair done once when I was 6 and the curls lasted for 3 hours. It wasn't left in long enough for my deceptively coarse hair.
    Wavy, dry, protein sensitive, coarse, highly overly porus, very low elasticity, medium-thick density, very prone to split ends
    Avoids: Sulphates, Silicones, Protein, Mineral oil, Petroleum, Polyquaternium, Sodium/Magnesium, Heat
    Mod-CG since June 2007

ur the silly one!! :laughing4: i feel like my hair is unevenly curly with straight part as well. would be nice if the all curled the right way :). but you know what? never mind. uniformed curls are over-rated.:thumbleft:

Mine can be like that sometimes, but I guess it's just giving the CG method lots of time to work - plus we did both straighten our hair a lot too! And just finding the right products and application methods, etc!! :D

• hpwitzehpwitze Posts: 11Registered Users
    I haven't done this in years. In high school, I used to spiral perm over my natural curl to get really big 80's hair without a lot of work.

Good Luck!
    Heather
    3a/fine/ii
    2 years CG

Routines:
    1x/week: honey/condition scalp scrub

Air Dry:
    Condition: Sauve Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Microfiber Towel
    Gel: Herbal Essences Body Envy
    SOTC: pea size blob of conditioner

Pixiecurl Dry:
    Condition: Sauve Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Microfiber Towel
    Gel: Herbal Essences Body Envy
    Mouse: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted
    SOTC: pea size blob of conditioner
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had a perm done many years ago to help loosen my curl like mpgirl did. Back then I was a solid 3c bordering on being a 4a. They said it would just loosen it up. We used the largest rods possible (they looked like orange juice cans). It worked nicely...the first time. More on that in a minute. It did loosen the curl some and made it more consistent and I was able to work with it a little better. It lasted about a year. Going off that success, I went back to have it done again with the same stylist and he was pre-occupied and left it on too long and my hair got fried. It was BAD! After that I swore I would never do it again. Since then my curl has loosened up on it's own. Not sure why. I am not consistent all over but it's better than the alternative. Now I just finger twist some sections that don't curl as well and that helps alot.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    i was actually considering trying this on patches of my hair in the front that got heat damaged and are now completely straight. before they had texture but no type of pattern, and now they just hang straight and are starting to grow out. idk if im brave enough to try it though
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    In regards to perms --

before my hair went curly, I used to perm it (irony huh?). I do all kinds of stuff to my hair and it takes a lot. To be honest, the only thing that damaged my hair was the perming. The only time in my life that I've had split ends was when I was perming. It just ate my hair.

Now, was it pretty? Heck ya. LOL. I loved the way my hair looked permed. It took a curl perfectly -- whatever size the rod was, that was the size of my curl. I had a hard time telling them to use the body wave perm rods for the big curls. My perms never relaxed, they just grew out. However, eventually I had to stop because I had split ends up to my ears. I've been tempted because I have two straight bits over my ears that look pretty dumb, but I remember how harsh it was on my hair, and I think I'm just going to use rollers on those bits.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    Wow, thank you for all your replies!!

I can't believe how damaging a perm can be! katherinelovesevryone- I wonder if its the same case for me. The straighter parts did deal with more damage, especially sun damage, so I don't even know if adding more damage through a perm would be a good idea.

Tinah- thank you for your input!! I have actually stalked a lot of your posts and it seems many of the products you love work great for me too >> *stalker* thanks :) I've noticed that my very roots now are curling like crazy, straight up spirals. But the ends of the canopy are still wavy to straight, depending on what I stick in my hair. I want to stay CG and see if it'll work for them, but I am so impatient! :/

I gave myself a dusting trim yesterday, trying to get rid of any damage. I want a perm just so I don't have to deal with it!

I'm so torn. Thank you all for your input. Depending on if I can find a professional and if my hair could actually withstand this, I may get it done :X *dons flameproof suit* ;)

I have a stalker!! I have a stalker!!! I'm so happy!!!! :love5: Keep in mind if the straight bits are already heat damaged then perming it is gonna do even more damage to it. Just something to think about.
    CG - 3/27/09
    You're def right about the damage.. I think I need more time to be CG to see what it does for me. I don't think I've been CG long enough to already be this impatient :p until then.. pin curls it is.

Btw.. I've been using Noodle Head every time I style now and I LOVE it. It's so wonderful, especially with the GVPCB and Giovanni Direct as leave-ins. My hair always smells so good now :D Thank you for posting about it!

You're welcome! I'm so glad it's working for you! I love the results that it gives but something in it seems to build up on me. Although I was doing a bunch of different things when I started using it. I've put it down for about a week now and gone back to my simple routine. I think I'm gonna try it again and see if it still builds up. I hope it doesn't cause i just love the results!
    CG - 3/27/09
    How interesting!! I felt something somewhat similar with my hair, so now I'm using Burts Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet conditioner to help clarify a little, once a week. I don't know if it was the Noodle Head though..

Oh!!! I stopped using the Suave Coconut! And that fixed it. Maybe try that?? I think there were too many proteins and my hair started reacting bad :/

• jennibabcockjennibabcock Posts: 6Registered Users
    I'm considering doing this in a short while. My hair only remains curly when its short and I'm trying to grow my hair out to be long and when its long its flat and lifeless. A perm in my hair when its long is its only way for it to be curly, I did it about 10 years ago and loved the results. I had waist long hair with spiral curls.
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    the funny thing is that all my hair (including the heat damaged parts) are completly healthy. and the stright parts are really only a few small clumps in the very very front....and i dont know much about perms (i had a relaxer for most of my life) are they more damaging than relaxers?
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file