Internationally Curly! :D

curlygirl1995curlygirl1995 Posts: 48Registered Users
Hey you guys! Wow, it's been a while since I've been on here. Almost a year. In the past week or two, I've moved to Singapore! Let me tell you, barely ANY curly heads here. Anybody else an international curly, or better yet, a curly girl in Singapore? Maybe we could chat sometime!

Surprisingly, in this 80-90% humidity, my hair is still goin' strong. I got a haircut yesterday, with SHORT layers (in which we curly heads fear) and it turned out looking GREAT. But the lady did screw up my bangs!

Anyways, who else is an international curly?

Comments

• paisleybandannapaisleybandanna Posts: 5Registered Users
    Hi curlygirl1995 ! Welcome to Singapore:mrgreen:
    I'm a curly Singaporean guy- born and bred. Apart from the occasional curly heads here and there, you're right to have noticed the lack of curls here.

I hope you and your hair are holding up well in this hot climate.

regards,
    paisleybandanna
  • phetishphetish Posts: 15Registered Users
    Hehe guys. Im from singapore too. :)
    Hey you guys! Wow, it's been a while since I've been on here. Almost a year. In the past week or two, I've moved to Singapore! Let me tell you, barely ANY curly heads here. Anybody else an international curly, or better yet, a curly girl in Singapore? Maybe we could chat sometime!

Surprisingly, in this 80-90% humidity, my hair is still goin' strong. I got a haircut yesterday, with SHORT layers (in which we curly heads fear) and it turned out looking GREAT. But the lady did screw up my bangs!

Anyways, who else is an international curly?

Yeah, most girls here have really straight hair so its not unusual that very few girls here have curls... & the humidity here really sucks. :(
    Hi phetish, you might find this surprising but the humidity actually makes my curls look better... odd huh ?

anyways... what's your curls type ?
    Hi phetish, you might find this surprising but the humidity actually makes my curls look better... odd huh ?

anyways... what's your curls type ?

you serious?!? but s'pore's humidity is like so damn high lah.. Wouldnt it look frizzy??

Im not really sure about my curl type. I think is somewhere between 2c-3a. :)
  • birdie19birdie19 Posts: 2Registered Users
    hi guys,

i want to switch to the CG method but i don't know where to find sulfate and silicone-free products in singapore! anyone know where to find them?

birdie19 wrote: »
    hi guys,

i want to switch to the CG method but i don't know where to find sulfate and silicone-free products in singapore! anyone know where to find them?

There isn't any period. Well, maybe there is but I don't know of any; products are so limited here, when you talk about CG friendly products at least . Singapore's so anti-Curl :angry8:! (natural curls, not talking about those permed:pukeleft: styles).

Btw, my curl type's 3a.... I think...
    I think J beverly hills has sulfate free shampoo. I'm currently using redken conditioner all soft for conditioning. It does contain one silicone inside but that can be wash away if you are using shampoo. I think giovanni is also good too. I got this from a mini store that sells hair products in Parkway Parade. :)
    birdie19 wrote: »
    hi guys,

• bohohalobohohalo Posts: 12Registered Users
    lol, I couldn't help but register when I saw this thread.8-)I found some Giovanni products at SaSa and Yes to Cucumbers! at Watsons. I'm using Giovanni 50/50 as my conditioner though, I'm mod CG(still shampoo). Oh, there's Burt Bee's and john masters' organics at Sephora ION. I'm pretty sure they are CG but you have to look at the ingredients. You can also buy john masters' organics at http://www.shinorganic.com/index.asp

I'm going to buy the Biosilk Rock Hard Gel from http://www.strawberrynet.com/main.aspx next week.:thumbleft:
    bohohalo wrote: »
    lol, I couldn't help but register when I saw this thread.8-)I found some Giovanni products at SaSa and Yes to Cucumbers! at Watsons. I'm using Giovanni 50/50 as my conditioner though, I'm mod CG(still shampoo). Oh, there's Burt Bee's and john masters' organics at Sephora ION. I'm pretty sure they are CG but you have to look at the ingredients. You can also buy john masters' organics at http://www.shinorganic.com/index.asp

I'm going to buy the Biosilk Rock Hard Gel from http://www.strawberrynet.com/main.aspx next week.:thumbleft:

Eh. Burt Bee's and John masters' organics do contain glycerin and panthenol if i'm not wrong. Those are humectants. Humectants are not good for those people that are living in a very high humid places(singapore!!) or very low humid places. yeah, so you shouldnt use that. Yes to Carrots!/Tomatoes!/Cucumbers! are CG i think. :) so will be fine.
    Thanks!:notworthy: I've never actually checked the ingredients but just saw it mentioned in the CG conditioners list. I have to say though, that I'm not completely off on humectants(I know thats horrible, :oops:). Maybe because honey+olive oil combo did work for my hair. That is until everyone told me it would turn my hair white. Turns out they were kind of right(http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/11/reader-question-can-honey-lighten-hair.html)...

lol, at least, I can stick to yes to cucumbers and giovanni...they''re cheaper anyways! I'm pretty sure that John masters' pomade is an anti-humectant product though.

Oh yeah, I received the Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee today. Here are the ingredients (strawberrynet doesnt provide them):

Aqua/Water/Eau, PVP, Acrylates /Steareth-20 Itaconate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolysed Silk, Pathenol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchlorcisothiazolinone, Parfum(Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Gamma Methyl lonone, Citronellol, Lilial, Hydroxy Citronellol, Geraniol, Eugenol, Blue 1 (Cl 42090), Red 23(Cl17200)

Thanks again! I'll be getting the all soft conditioner next.:glasses7:
    phetish wrote: »

Eh. Burt Bee's and John masters' organics do contain glycerin and panthenol if i'm not wrong. Those are humectants. Humectants are not good for those people that are living in a very high humid places(singapore!!) or very low humid places. yeah, so you shouldnt use that. Yes to Carrots!/Tomatoes!/Cucumbers! are CG i think. :) so will be fine.
    haha. You should check out this. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

very comprehensive. :) Main thing for conditioners is to avoid humectants and organic oils and those bad alcohols.

It is damn hard to find some conditioners that are cg lah. :( Most of them are packed with SO MANY silicones. argh.

look at this article about silicones. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones

Those silicones can actually be washed away using amphoteric surfactants(which are MUCH gentler than sulfates).

But the best is to avoid as much silicones as possible. :)

The ingredients for John Masters' pomade:

Olea europaea (olive) oil,* organic apis mellifera (beeswax), mangifera indica (mango) butter, orbygnia speciosa (babassu) oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* triticum vulgare (wheat germ) oil,* laurus nobilis (bay laurel) oil, cedrus atlantica (cedar atlas) oil,† abies balsamea (fir balsam) oil,* cryptocaria massoia (massoia) oil, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate & ascorbyl palmitate (vitamins A, C, E)

And yes its not only anti-humectant its also CG!! omg. i need to get it!!Where did you get it?!?Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee contains pathenol and Propylene glycol. :sad9: Humectants!! No good!!! And they are so wayyy high on the ingredients list.

I need to go get some conditioner and shampoo soon. My current ones are goin to be used up soon.

:laughing9:
    Thanks!:notworthy: I've never actually checked the ingredients but just saw it mentioned in the CG conditioners list. I have to say though, that I'm not completely off on humectants(I know thats horrible, :oops:). Maybe because honey+olive oil combo did work for my hair. That is until everyone told me it would turn my hair white. Turns out they were kind of right(http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/11/reader-question-can-honey-lighten-hair.html)...

lol, at least, I can stick to yes to cucumbers and giovanni...they''re cheaper anyways! I'm pretty sure that John masters' pomade is an anti-humectant product though.

Oh yeah, I received the Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee today. Here are the ingredients (strawberrynet doesnt provide them):

Aqua/Water/Eau, PVP, Acrylates /Steareth-20 Itaconate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolysed Silk, Pathenol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchlorcisothiazolinone, Parfum(Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Gamma Methyl lonone, Citronellol, Lilial, Hydroxy Citronellol, Geraniol, Eugenol, Blue 1 (Cl 42090), Red 23(Cl17200)

Thanks again! I'll be getting the all soft conditioner next.:glasses7:

lololol... I didn't even check the ingredients before buying BRHG, I just saw it mentioned in some threads. Its abit weird that they use it in humid conditions and it works for them(conidering all those ingredients).ha,I haven't even tried it out.. I've been reading the curl chemist's articles and she makes humectants sound horrible.lol, she uses the word "disasterous" :shock:. So, I think I might try to minimize usage. haha...

I've cut out all silicones for two weeks but my hair has this "halo" of frizz now(even when its in a bun):sad3:. So I'm just going to use some lighter weight silicones. Thanks for the list!

Lol, I think I saw John Masters' pomade at Sephora ION. I was at Novena yesterday, in Square 2, and saw it in this shop called bud cosmetics. Its $38.50. I recognised the shop from Vivawoman's blog (http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/09/11/viva-shop-tour-bud-cosmetics-at-square-2/) so I went to check it out.

I also saw another brand called Fushi(never heard of it). The hair balm looks interesting...Here, they have a website:
    http://www.budcosmetics.com/product_info.php?products_id=869

There's this other brand called glossylocks, its CG but has humectants in the middle of the list. Argh. Fushi still has this conditioner:
    http://www.budcosmetics.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_49_231&products_id=866

The Protein/humectant is at the bottom of the list. Ahhhhh......

I didn't get anything there since I really need a styling product more than anything else. I saw a really interesting gel and curl cream from L'oreal at SaSa. I dont think it has any silicones, humectants or a PVP holding agent. I need to go check it again since I was in a rush. I might buy it next week if the ingredients check out.:thumbup:

haha. You should check out this. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

very comprehensive. :) Main thing for conditioners is to avoid humectants and organic oils and those bad alcohols.

It is damn hard to find some conditioners that are cg lah. :( Most of them are packed with SO MANY silicones. argh.

look at this article about silicones. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones

Those silicones can actually be washed away using amphoteric surfactants(which are MUCH gentler than sulfates).

Olea europaea (olive) oil,* organic apis mellifera (beeswax), mangifera indica (mango) butter, orbygnia speciosa (babassu) oil, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* triticum vulgare (wheat germ) oil,* laurus nobilis (bay laurel) oil, cedrus atlantica (cedar atlas) oil,† abies balsamea (fir balsam) oil,* cryptocaria massoia (massoia) oil, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate & ascorbyl palmitate (vitamins A, C, E)

And yes its not only anti-humectant its also CG!! omg. i need to get it!!Where did you get it?!?Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee contains pathenol and Propylene glycol. :sad9: Humectants!! No good!!! And they are so wayyy high on the ingredients list.

I need to go get some conditioner and shampoo soon. My current ones are goin to be used up soon.

Wow, you guys know so much about the CG method. Is there actually a visible change since you've gone CG ? Like tighter and more defined ringlets etc. ? Mind posting before and after pics ?

I'm currently using Fruit of the Earth's Aloe Vera Gel for styling. I'd say it's fairly good - helps define and hold the curls, but it gets really greasy in your hair even after one use and it doesn't provide much volume. It is CG friendly though, I think.

Here's the ingredients list:

Aloe Vera gel
    Triethanolamine
    Tocopheryl Acetate
    Carbomer
    Tetrasodium EDTA
    DMDM Hydantoin
    Diazolidnyl Urea

My conditioner is Pantene so it's obviously loaded with cones.

Judging from your posts CG friendly products seem so pricey ( $38 pomade and all) and aren't that readily available.

Sigh.. the woes of being a student and perpetually broke. :sad3:
    lol, I wish I could post a after photo but I think my hair is in a "before" stage.:sad1: Its only after phetish's reply that I have really started paying attention to ingredients, rather than checking the forums for recommendations.ha...I did go CG a couple of months back for about a week and a half. This was after reading the curly girl book. I didn't really know about ingredients but the conditioner I used, didn't have silicones(Yes to Cucumbers!). The thing I learned is that I should never shampoo twice a day. I really can't believe I used to do that. Anyway, I just couldn't take the feel on the scalp. It wasn't greasy but it didn't exactly feel "light". This, in addition to my thick 3b coarse hair and the heat, gave me headaches. Lololol, I know this isn't much help at all. Most people stick with it for months. I backed down;-)

The Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel looks good. Its CG, and seems to be really popular on the forum. I think its known as FOTE or FOTE AVG. :D Ahhh, where did you get it?
    I've read that Aloe Vera is a humectant but not the most effective one(http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/08/knights-of-aloe-vera-roundtable.html). It shouldn't be a problem either way if humidity helps your hair. I might try it some time as I definitely do NOT need volume.:toothy9: I think you can find out about the rest of the ingredients here:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

Triethanolamine seems to have a higher ph (haven't read up on that yet) and is used to balance formulations. Its in the list but here's more:
    http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/07/26/beauty-q-a-what-does-triethanolamine-do/
    Tocopheryl Acetate is vitamin E, I have this ingredient in my body lotion lol...Carbomer provides a thickening function. Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent(haven't read up on that too) that provides stability in products. DMDM Hydantoin and Diazolidnyl Urea are preservatives that keep your product from going "bad". Here, the curl chemist has a tiny section section devoted to those two ingredients:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/preservatives-in-personal-care-products
    Ahhh...The gel at SaSa contains SD Alcohol 40, Alcohol denat. Drying alcohols so I cant get it...

I don't like spending this much on my hair, but frustration will get me spending every time. lol, in any case, I don't think pomades are a must buy product. Must admit that the organic and "natural" products are more expensive. Sometimes, I think the labeling is a lie? lol, I'm really not impressed with giovanni 50/50. If you are interested in oils and butters, you can get them at :http://www.whoopeekiddies.com
    I have never shopped there but read about it from Vivawoman's blog. Yeah, the website looks really run down, so I wasn't sure until I read Viva Woman's reviews.I don't know if there is anywhere else that I can buy the butters... I might buy the shea butter next week. Its around $5.00 maybe with shipping $10 or $15? Be careful though, I've always read that unrefined shea butter has a smell. When I was using heavier silicones, I really loved Asience (the yellow bottle) but that builds up. Pantene was pretty good. much better than herbal essence. Whew, long post....:toothy10:

Wow, you guys know so much about the CG method. Is there actually a visible change since you've gone CG ? Like tighter and more defined ringlets etc. ? Mind posting before and after pics ?

I'm currently using Fruit of the Earth's Aloe Vera Gel for styling. I'd say it's fairly good - helps define and hold the curls, but it gets really greasy in your hair even after one use and it doesn't provide much volume. It is CG friendly though, I think.

Aloe Vera gel
    Triethanolamine
    Tocopheryl Acetate
    Carbomer
    Tetrasodium EDTA
    DMDM Hydantoin
    Diazolidnyl Urea

Judging from your posts CG friendly products seem so pricey ( $38 pomade and all) and aren't that readily available.

• ChiggletChigglet Posts: 12Registered Users
    I'm looking at starting on the 'Yes To ....' Line for conditioners for going CG. A few months back i got my hair dyed a colour that i'm not so fond of now its starting to fade, and so i want to speed the fading up as much as possible. So which would you recommend? Yes to Carrots! Yes to Tomatoes! or Yes to Cucumbers!? Because i didn't want Cucumbers to preserve my colour haha.

My hair is already pretty voluminous ( short layers, ugh, what a bad decision)
    but it could probably do with some strengthening :)
    - Celeste, Age 14, Australia.
    :blob7::blob7::blob7::blob7:
    Hair Type: 3a - 3b
    Currently Using:
    * Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner (purple bottle)*
    * Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel*

Member since March '09
    Actually protein is not really bad for hair. especially if your hair is chemically treated(like coloring, blah blah). I am now trying to deep condition my hair with some protein every week. But i'm not sure what brand to get yet. :sad9: But if your hair is not chemically treated, maybe you wont need that much protein.

Take a look at this. http://www.sistersofthefaith.com/beauty/the-fine-art-of-protein-and-moisture-balancing-for-black-hair-care-pt-2/

Just make sure that there is not any protein in any of your leave in products. Protein should only be used for the conditioning phase. (at least that i what i heard) or else it will make your hair dry when you use leave in products on your hair.

I went to the budcosmetics website. The fushi conditioner seems promising but its so ex!!! :eek:

I also need styling products so badly. zz.

What is wrong with PVP? I thought it is supposed to help you hold your hair?

Do you know where I can get Yes to Cucumber conditioner? :toothy8:

lololol... I didn't even check the ingredients before buying BRHG, I just saw it mentioned in some threads. Its abit weird that they use it in humid conditions and it works for them(conidering all those ingredients).ha,I haven't even tried it out.. I've been reading the curl chemist's articles and she makes humectants sound horrible.lol, she uses the word "disasterous" :shock:. So, I think I might try to minimize usage. haha...

I've cut out all silicones for two weeks but my hair has this "halo" of frizz now(even when its in a bun):sad3:. So I'm just going to use some lighter weight silicones. Thanks for the list!

Lol, I think I saw John Masters' pomade at Sephora ION. I was at Novena yesterday, in Square 2, and saw it in this shop called bud cosmetics. Its $38.50. I recognised the shop from Vivawoman's blog (http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/09/11/viva-shop-tour-bud-cosmetics-at-square-2/) so I went to check it out.

I also saw another brand called Fushi(never heard of it). The hair balm looks interesting...Here, they have a website:
    http://www.budcosmetics.com/product_info.php?products_id=869

There's this other brand called glossylocks, its CG but has humectants in the middle of the list. Argh. Fushi still has this conditioner:
    http://www.budcosmetics.com/product_info.php?cPath=36_49_231&products_id=866

The Protein/humectant is at the bottom of the list. Ahhhhh......

I didn't get anything there since I really need a styling product more than anything else. I saw a really interesting gel and curl cream from L'oreal at SaSa. I dont think it has any silicones, humectants or a PVP holding agent. I need to go check it again since I was in a rush. I might buy it next week if the ingredients check out.:thumbup:

Sorry, i dont have any photos.:sad9:

My current hair is 2a(I slightly straighten it). I like to switch my hair often and can afford to(cuz i'm a guy and i dont have to worry stuffs like transitioning). Two months ago, when my hair was 2c/3a and I start to use the CG method, there is definitely a visible change. Even my mum notices it. :laughing9: Hair will become so much softer, tighter and the curls will look more defined. And i like to keep on touching it. lol. :laughing9:

You should get rid of your pantene conditioner. god its horrible. so loaded with silicones.

Maybe you should try the Yes to Carrots series. Its quite good after i view the ingredients. But I dont know the price. :sad9:

FOTE is CG free. But it contains aloe vera. It is an issue cuz some ppl said that aloe vera is a humectant... Im not really sure about that..

Aloe Vera gel
    Triethanolamine
    Tocopheryl Acetate
    Carbomer
    Tetrasodium EDTA
    DMDM Hydantoin
    Diazolidnyl Urea

Gels from loreal alw suck. they contain like BAD BAD Alochol. no wonder my hair used to be so dry in the past. boo. :sad9:

I used asience in the past too. first week was good but after that it just started to build up and my hair looked like straws!!!:sad9:

If im not wrong, giovanni 50/50 conditioner contains glycerin(humectants! eck!).
    lol, I wish I could post a after photo but I think my hair is in a "before" stage.:sad1: Its only after phetish's reply that I have really started paying attention to ingredients, rather than checking the forums for recommendations.ha...I did go CG a couple of months back for about a week and a half. This was after reading the curly girl book. I didn't really know about ingredients but the conditioner I used, didn't have silicones(Yes to Cucumbers!). The thing I learned is that I should never shampoo twice a day. I really can't believe I used to do that. Anyway, I just couldn't take the feel on the scalp. It wasn't greasy but it didn't exactly feel "light". This, in addition to my thick 3b coarse hair and the heat, gave me headaches. Lololol, I know this isn't much help at all. Most people stick with it for months. I backed down;-)

The Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel looks good. Its CG, and seems to be really popular on the forum. I think its known as FOTE or FOTE AVG. :D Ahhh, where did you get it?
    I've read that Aloe Vera is a humectant but not the most effective one(http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/08/knights-of-aloe-vera-roundtable.html). It shouldn't be a problem either way if humidity helps your hair. I might try it some time as I definitely do NOT need volume.:toothy9: I think you can find out about the rest of the ingredients here:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

Triethanolamine seems to have a higher ph (haven't read up on that yet) and is used to balance formulations. Its in the list but here's more:
    http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/07/26/beauty-q-a-what-does-triethanolamine-do/
    Tocopheryl Acetate is vitamin E, I have this ingredient in my body lotion lol...Carbomer provides a thickening function. Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent(haven't read up on that too) that provides stability in products. DMDM Hydantoin and Diazolidnyl Urea are preservatives that keep your product from going "bad". Here, the curl chemist has a tiny section section devoted to those two ingredients:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/preservatives-in-personal-care-products
    Ahhh...The gel at SaSa contains SD Alcohol 40, Alcohol denat. Drying alcohols so I cant get it...

I don't like spending this much on my hair, but frustration will get me spending every time. lol, in any case, I don't think pomades are a must buy product. Must admit that the organic and "natural" products are more expensive. Sometimes, I think the labeling is a lie? lol, I'm really not impressed with giovanni 50/50. If you are interested in oils and butters, you can get them at :http://www.whoopeekiddies.com
    I have never shopped there but read about it from Vivawoman's blog. Yeah, the website looks really run down, so I wasn't sure until I read Viva Woman's reviews.I don't know if there is anywhere else that I can buy the butters... I might buy the shea butter next week. Its around $5.00 maybe with shipping $10 or $15? Be careful though, I've always read that unrefined shea butter has a smell. When I was using heavier silicones, I really loved Asience (the yellow bottle) but that builds up. Pantene was pretty good. much better than herbal essence. Whew, long post....:toothy10:

Aloe Vera gel
    Triethanolamine
    Tocopheryl Acetate
    Carbomer
    Tetrasodium EDTA
    DMDM Hydantoin
    Diazolidnyl Urea

I'm not really sure whether Yes to Cucumber will really help preserve the color. I have nv use the "Yes to ..." Line before.

But I do know Yes to Carrots contain honey extracts and Dimethicone. Honey extracts is a humectant if I'm not wrong. you have to go check out about this. Humectant will work for you if the humidity there is not high or low.
    Dimethicone is a cone(duh!). so you might need to shampoo it out. A gentler shampoo will be able to do so.

If your hair needs strengthening , maybe it's cuz of the lack of protein. maybe you need to deep condition your hair weekly with some protein. :laughing9:
    Chigglet wrote: »
    I'm looking at starting on the 'Yes To ....' Line for conditioners for going CG. A few months back i got my hair dyed a colour that i'm not so fond of now its starting to fade, and so i want to speed the fading up as much as possible. So which would you recommend? Yes to Carrots! Yes to Tomatoes! or Yes to Cucumbers!? Because i didn't want Cucumbers to preserve my colour haha.

• ChiggletChigglet Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks, I'll look for some deep conditioning stuff this weekend for my hair :D

And yes to carrots sounds like a good product to try :cyclops:
    - Celeste, Age 14, Australia.
    :blob7::blob7::blob7::blob7:
    Hair Type: 3a - 3b
    Currently Using:
    * Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner (purple bottle)*
    * Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel*

Member since March '09
    lol, I'm not really going to be of any help... I've only tried Yes to Cucumbers! and I really like it. Though, I do think my hair needs a much richer/ heavier conditioner. I can't really say anything for sure since I'm still kind of in between products. I don't know about retaining colour because the last time I dyed my hair was four years ago.:colors:The conditioner does make your hair shinier so I suppose thats what they mean by "Color Care". I didn't get the Yes to Tomatoes! because I don't need/want any more volume. lol... I didn't get the Yes to Carrots because at that time, I was convinced to go full on CG...lol, that did not work out:laughing6:

Here's the ingredients on the back of my Yes to Cucumbers! bottle:
    Aqua(Water), Cucumis Sativus(Cucumber) Extract*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Peucedanum Graveolens(Dill) Extract*, Capsicum Annuum(Green Pepper) Extract*, Maris Aqua(Dead Sea Water), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil*, Magnesium Chloride, Chamomila Recutita(Camomile) Extract*, Olea Europaea(Olive) Oil*, Brassica Olearacea(Broccoli) Extract*, Benzyl Alcohol, Spinacia Oleracea(Spinach) Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis(Jojoba) Oil*, Calendula Officinalis Oil*, Maris Limus Triticum Vugare(Wheat) Germ Oil*, Punica Granatum(Pomegranate Peel) Extract*, Lactic Acid, Centaurea Cyanus, Beta Vulgaris(Beetroot) Extract*, Olea Europaea(Olive) Leaf Extract*, Dehydroacetic Acid.

Certified Organic Ingredient

I think for its price, its a really good conditioner. The texture is somewhat thick and there's 500ml of it. Before I bought it, I read(on this forum) that the scent was weird. It smelled like talcum powder with a hint of pepper to me. lol, baby powder and pepper, odd combo.... Its not bad, and won't linger once rinsed but, smell it first. I tend to use alot of conditioner so it was difficult to rinse out. You might want to adjust the amount you use. :laughing4:

These are the two threads that I read before buying the conditioner,
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=83326
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=65964
    Chigglet wrote: »

Actually protein is not really bad for hair. especially if your hair is chemically treated(like coloring, blah blah). I am now trying to deep condition my hair with some protein every week. But i'm not sure what brand to get yet. :sad9: But if your hair is not chemically treated, maybe you wont need that much protein.

Take a look at this. http://www.sistersofthefaith.com/beauty/the-fine-art-of-protein-and-moisture-balancing-for-black-hair-care-pt-2/

Just make sure that there is not any protein in any of your leave in products. Protein should only be used for the conditioning phase. (at least that i what i heard) or else it will make your hair dry when you use leave in products on your hair.

I went to the budcosmetics website. The fushi conditioner seems promising but its so ex!!! :eek:

I also need styling products so badly. zz.

What is wrong with PVP? I thought it is supposed to help you hold your hair?

Do you know where I can get Yes to Cucumber conditioner? :toothy8:
    Thanks, I'm learning alot!
    Ahh, you're going to do protein treatments? Be sure to update!:mrgreen:... My hair is coarse so I'm not sure if I should. Read somewhere that fine hair does best on protein. According to the link, I need abit of protein though... I saw some Aubrey Organics stuff on whoopeekiddies.com and ecolivingathome.com/
    I've haven't bought anything from either website but read about them on VivaWoman's blog. The second one has a delivery fee of $10 which is alot of money for local mail(I think) . The website is kinda weird, the hair section is other the dressing room tag.
    Protein acts as a humectant, and if we rinse it out, its ok? Does this apply to other humectants? I was reading the beauty brains blog and they say glycerin gets rinsed off in rinse out(haha) conditioners.
    Here:
    http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/10/07/what-makes-redken-all-soft-conditioner-rock/
    Lol, its about why all soft conditioner rocks.:mrgreen:

Ack, the Fushi conditioners...I saw the actual size, it would probably only last me maximum 5 uses. I might buy it if my hair turns disasterous. Luckily, I'm not there yet.

Yeah, I hate tying up my hair...I really need a styling product.My hair is just too much without any. Lucky that the weather has been cooler or I would be :banghead:...haha

I don't know I read about PVP here:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/the-nitty-gritty-details-about-hair-gel
    ha, quote,"PVP (poly N-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone) is an excellent film-former that is substantive to hair, forms clear films, and is completely water soluble. However, it absorbs water readily, which in humid weather makes it sticky or tacky to the touch, can cause frizz, and give a dull appearance to the hair. In dry weather, it can become brittle and flaky."

I've only seen the Yes to! line at Watsons. I've seen the products at Ngee Ann City(Basement). I bought mine at Lot 1, Choa Chu Kang(CCK). I also saw the leave in Conditioner at CCK but I didn't check the ingredients...running late, lol...
    Gels from loreal alw suck. they contain like BAD BAD Alochol. no wonder my hair used to be so dry in the past. boo. :sad9:

I used asience in the past too. first week was good but after that it just started to build up and my hair looked like straws!!!:sad9:

If im not wrong, giovanni 50/50 conditioner contains glycerin(humectants! eck!).
    Yeah, when I saw the alcohols, I just couldn't believe that I didn't zero in on it at first! Lucky I didn't buy it! It would have killed my hair.
    Lol, exact same reaction with Asience...I guess you must use a really clarifying shampoo. I loved the initial results though.
    I don't see glycerin on my 50/50 bottle, but maybe its Soybean Protein and Sodium hydroxymethylgycinate? I have no idea what the latter does :confused4: . Maybe its the jumble of ""natural" products at the front of the list? I have no idea.:confused2:
    WooHoo ! This thread is really picking up- we've made a second page. :headbang:

No, I've got nothing to say.....

:toothy9:

Instead, I'll just put a chain of meaningless emoticons:

:iroc::smilebox::dwarf::elephant::snorting::joker::blob3::walk::tongue2::wav:
  • curlygirl1995curlygirl1995 Posts: 48Registered Users
    Wow I didn't realize people ever replied to this post! I should check more often :wav:. Everything here is good :) my hair is pretty tamed now. Thanks you guys!
  • CantFightCurlsCantFightCurls Posts: 88Registered Users
    i was born & raised in the states, new york to be exact & i still am, but my parents have just dropped the bomb that we're moving to AFRICA! thats right the continent smack dab on the equator. this frightens my hair lol. i was wondering if there are any tips, from an international curly to another. any tips?
    ~Meena :happy10:

I cant fight my curls
    I cant control my curls
    I really just let them roll free
    What else can i do? :dontknow:

~I have curly curly 3c hair w/ some 4a up in little corners!
    ~I'm have a love affair with the Ojon Line and faithfully use Garnier Fructis Spray Gel.
    ~I love all my kinks, coils, and curls even when I wanna rip them out! :cwm21:
    ~Trying to gorw out to BSL, any tips? Drop a mesage! :toothy10:
    hi. The humidity near the equator is very frightening.. lol. a VERY far cry from NYC. :(

You do need products that help to combat high humidity. The main thing is to have enough moisture in your hair. High humidity will mean that the surroundings have more moisture than in our hair and this will mean that those moisture will try to invade our hair. This will result the hair to be really frizzy. You will have to make sure that the hair products that you get DO NOT contain any humectants as humectants attract moisture to the hair.

Use products that contain oils or products that contain silicones on damp hair will be fine. One key thing to note is that you might need to low poo your hair if you use products with silicones. Silicones might sometimes weight down your hair too... And some silicones(especially those heavy ones) are rather greasy.

Hope that helps. :)
    i was born & raised in the states, new york to be exact & i still am, but my parents have just dropped the bomb that we're moving to AFRICA! thats right the continent smack dab on the equator. this frightens my hair lol. i was wondering if there are any tips, from an international curly to another. any tips?
  • curlygirl1995curlygirl1995 Posts: 48Registered Users
    Wow, I really need to get on here more often :) well, basically, there are NO good products here in Singapore. None. Only like L'Oreal and Herbal Essences, which are alright, but in 3 months when I go back to the US for the summer, Im totally stocking up. You guys have no idea ;) Umm I've been using honey and it works wonders. And I leave in conditioner. Before you move to Africa, splurge a little on GOOD hair products. Its best you buy expensive stuff that actually works than alot of crappy product. Trust me. I wish you luck :)

I think just cutting out humectants have made the biggest difference. I would much rather use light weight silicones than get a leave-in product with humectants on the top of the ingredient list.

I can use some silicones like amodimethicone but not dimethicone. lol, I tried using pantene because I didn't want to go out of my way to get my regular conditioner. Now my hair feels like straw. I need to use a clarifying shampoo to get the buildup out which will make my hair really dry. ha.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file