Just wondering.....

Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
Are you supposed to alternate between jogging and walking (say, two minutes of jogging and one minute walking, you keep doing this until you reach wherever you want too) when you go jogging?
Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
Rinse:
ACV rinse
Detangler/Conditioner:
Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer

Comments

• AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    I would definitely recommend alternating jogging and walking when you are first starting out. As you progress along you can shorten your walking periods and lengthen the jogging periods until you are jogging most if not all of the time. (If that is your ultimate goal).
  • jam6352jam6352 Registered Users Posts: 99
    I'm sooooo glad you asked! I just started this program in Women's Health! It's super easy. Here's the link :

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/run-walk-program

Have fun!
    Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
    Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
    Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

Moisturizers:
    Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion

• Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Registered Users Posts: 1,559
    I agree with Amanda, eventually you'll become more comfortable running more and walking less :sunny:
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    Thanks! I do want to get to the point of jogging most if not all of the time.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • Seren1Seren1 Registered Users Posts: 20
    I just started runing myself and Iwould highly recommend checking out the Runners World website. They have a whole section for beginners and about 3 different programs that are all walk-runs. They tell you what to do every day over about 8-10 weeks so eventualy they have you running for 30 minutes straight!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-380-0-0-0,00.html
    I noticed your pretty gangster....I'm pretty gangster myself.:cool:
  • krazy coilskrazy coils Registered Users Posts: 148
    I was not a jogger and this is the routine I tried when I first starting out. I would jog for three minutes and walk at a fast pace for two minutes. As you continue your legs will become stronger and you will be able to control your breathing which will allow you to jog for longer stretches.
    Last Relaxer: February 2009
    Big Chop: September 8, 2009
    Shampoo: Still Searching
    Conditioner:Nature's Gate Aloe Vera and Pomegranate Sunflower
    Deep Conditioner: Elucenc MBC
    CurrentProducts: Qhemets AOHC and OHHB, Oyin Hair Dew,Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Amla, Brahmi

Fotki:http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/
    Youtube
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with going with a running program that alternates walking and jogging. I did the C25K one.

I tried to start running several times over many years, and I always failed because I didn't know the walk/run principle to getting started. I would get out of breath and eventually became so miserable that I would give up.

Your body changes quite a bit as you go through the program — your bones get more dense, your muscles strengthen, your lungs gain capacity. All changes necessary to be able to run for longer stretches. You just have to ease into it.

Enjoy!
  • aaa00aaaa00a Registered Users Posts: 284
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I agree with going with a running program that alternates walking and jogging. I did the C25K one.

I tried to start running several times over many years, and I always failed because I didn't know the walk/run principle to getting started. I would get out of breath and eventually became so miserable that I would give up.

Your body changes quite a bit as you go through the program — your bones get more dense, your muscles strengthen, your lungs gain capacity. All changes necessary to be able to run for longer stretches. You just have to ease into it.

Enjoy!

I was just reading about the C25K program and I was thinking of trying that. I've always wanted to be able to run, since I used to be a very good runner about 15 years ago. But suddenly had to stop due to an unrelated injury.
    Wavy, dry, protein sensitive, coarse, highly overly porus, very low elasticity, medium-thick density, very prone to split ends
    Avoids: Sulphates, Silicones, Protein, Mineral oil, Petroleum, Polyquaternium, Sodium/Magnesium, Heat
    Mod-CG since June 2007
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Walk/jog is a great way to build up. I just ran my first mile yesterday without stopping. My treadmill has a 40 mountain trail program and it ranges 2 mph - 6.5 mph. I never realized just how much endurance it built up. Yeah, treadmill running is a bit different than outside but I'm rather run in the AC until is cools down in the fall. :walk:
    I was doing the C25K program -until the treadmill broke. Darn treadmill. It was pretty old.
    I can't jog outside because our neighborhood is very hilly, almost all of it is either up or down. Plus it is too hot to run outside. I like my AC.:blob3:

So I dunno what to do. Biking is not the same.
    I'll be starting soccer back up at the end of August, but it isn't the same.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

I was doing the C25K program -until the treadmill broke. Darn treadmill. It was pretty old.
    I can't jog outside because our neighborhood is very hilly, almost all of it is either up or down. Plus it is too hot to run outside. I like my AC.:blob3:

I walked briskly around my neighbourhood early this morning for a few hours looking for a flat stretch and found none. Too many hills here too. Although, I admit, there are several people jogging anyways, but I don't think I'd want to start off with jogging up and down steep inclines.
    Wavy, dry, protein sensitive, coarse, highly overly porus, very low elasticity, medium-thick density, very prone to split ends
    Avoids: Sulphates, Silicones, Protein, Mineral oil, Petroleum, Polyquaternium, Sodium/Magnesium, Heat
    Mod-CG since June 2007
    aaa00a wrote: »

I walked briskly around my neighbourhood early this morning for a few hours looking for a flat stretch and found none. Too many hills here too. Although, I admit, there are several people jogging anyways, but I don't think I'd want to start off with jogging up and down steep inclines.

I admit I found one sort of flat stretch. But I would have to run up and down that street and I would look pretty stupid doing that.
    I would prefer to work myself up to jogging all the time on a flat surface then start jogging at an incline.
    Plus most of the time it is either to hot or to cold or to windy or is raining (I would love to run in the rain but I am doing it in the morning now and I can't have my hair ruined).
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

I admit I found one sort of flat stretch. But I would have to run up and down that street and I would look pretty stupid doing that.
    I would prefer to work myself up to jogging all the time on a flat surface then start jogging at an incline.
    Plus most of the time it is either to hot or to cold or to windy or is raining (I would love to run in the rain but I am doing it in the morning now and I can't have my hair ruined).

It's always something though isn't it...hot, cold, rain, wind.... It's waaaay tooooo hot here to even go outside for a minute right now. Otherwise I'd just start even if I can only likely manage to jog for 30 seconds instead of the 60 for the first week of C25K; since it's nothing but hills here it'll take longer to build up. I'll start after I get back from my vacation.

I suppose if you run in the rain, you'd have to shower and wash hair, or whatever, after the run. I'll have to do my run/jog/walk at 5 am when I start.
    Mod-CG since June 2007

It's always something though isn't it...hot, cold, rain, wind.... It's waaaay tooooo hot here to even go outside for a minute right now. Otherwise I'd just start even if I can only likely manage to jog for 30 seconds instead of the 60 for the first week of C25K; since it's nothing but hills here it'll take longer to build up. I'll start after I get back from my vacation.

I suppose if you run in the rain, you'd have to shower and wash hair, or whatever, after the run. I'll have to do my run/jog/walk at 5 am when I start.

I guess I just like making excuses for not having to run on hilly surfaces. :D
    I would gladly run in the rain in the morning but I still shower at night.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file