I am just about ready to give up on the natural thing

futurehopefuturehope Posts: 40Registered Users
I have been at this for over a month and my hair has NEVER EVER looked this bad. It is absolutely horrible.

I am considering going back to cones. I think that I have tried many things and nothing seems to tame my hair.

I am totally east-west haired with major frizz.

Anyone else considering going back to cones. I think that I would rather have a few bad hair days here and there than every day be a bad hair day.
2B/2C - Fine - II / Modified CG / No Oil Routine
Color Treated - Shoulder Length, Layered, Poofy & Frizzy
Certified PJ because I am still looking for something that works!!!!!
Love CJ Deep Fix & Suave Coconut Condish

Comments

• LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It seems alot of wavy/curlies go back to using cones during the hot months. What products are you using? Do you leave a bit of condish in and/or a leave-in? What other products are you using?

Have you tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]? It's a bit pricey, but it's good stuff. I live north of Houston and it's very humid here. My "routine de jour" today was to co-wash, condish with GF Body&Volume Condish and rinse about 90% out, then a little GF SleeknShine Leave-in Cream. Put some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] over that, then decided on Suave's PM Mousse knockoff. I usually don't use mousse (can't seem to get a good combo going), but today it looked pretty good! Oh, and before leaving, I put in some Charles Worthington Big Hair Amazing Volume Finishing Cream. I'm beginning to like that stuff.

Anyway, give us some info on your routines and maybe you can get some help :D .
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • futurehopefuturehope Posts: 40Registered Users
    Hi Lavendar Curls,

Thank you for replying to me.

The products I am using at the moment are Abba True Curls Conditioner and Abba True Curls Curl Tonic with a little bit of recoil.

When I poo I usually use Elucence.

I did a Ouidad Deep Conditioning Treatment this weekend followed by a Deep Moisturizing Treatment.

I have tried a lot of things, Mop Top, Regis, JessiCurl, Nexxus, I know there are more.

Last night, I decided to place some jojoba oil in my hair about 1/4 ounce and sleep with a shower cap on all nite. When I woke this AM, my hair was so soft and hardly greasy. Thought I was on to something.

It is rainy and humid here today. My hair is back to its same old frizzy mess. Just like yesterday and all of the days before.

I have not tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink].

I have not heard of a lot of the products that you list below except for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink].

I went to CVS a bit ago and just bought some Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion. Just barely glanced at the ingredients. Did not see any cones, just a little protein.

At this point, I am desparate. It reminds me of when I was younger and there was nothing to tame my hair in the least bit except for Agree Creme Rinse. Wonder what ever happened to that product????

Hope you get back with me and sorry this is so long.
  • 4nnie4nnie Posts: 19Registered Users
    Yay for cones! Embrace them! This is officially the begining of "the cone campaign", where curlies can finally stop being ashamed of using cones. Embrace them! Share them! Love them! Curly Girl may be a good idea in theory, but if you're a curly like me who has good hair days only with lots of "Non-CG approved" product... It's time to accept your situation and your curl's behavior. Some of us just aren't cut out for curly girl and get greasy, stringy, frizzy hair without our coneful products. If you are one of those such curly girls, it's time to recognize yourself, take a step forward, and reach in the back of your cupboard for those cones...
    3A/2B depending on the day/products/routine
    Plopping changed my life
    Password to www: tuna
  • frizzbombfrizzbomb Posts: 56Registered Users
    4nnie - what cone products?

Futurehope - do try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]. I use it on sopping wet hair. For me scrunching it in works better than smoothing/combing it in which is what they suggest on the bottle.
    Extremely fine 2b/3a. My frizz has tamed considerably but, I still have my "moments."
    Currently liking:
    TJs Nourish, Set Me Up, Curl Keeper and Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana deep fix.

password: wavy
    Hi! I saw all the stuff you have on the Swap Board, so you're definitely not a PJ virgin :lol: !

I saw where you've used a couple of the CHS stuff .. I really encourage you to try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]. If you want to use cones, try keeping with the ones that come out easily. The "cyclopent-whatever" is an evil cone .. hard to wash out. And it doesn't end in "-cone" .. it's "-ane" I think. Do you have a Sally's near you? If you do .. try their knockoff of Potion #9 as a leavin-in. Try their Biosilk knockoffs, too. Some other curlies are using the Silk Therapy (Sally's also has their knockoff of this). It has a cone as well.

Coconut is the latest rage on the main board. Also, do you use honey with your conditioner? I use equal amounts, then rinse out almost all of it, just leaving in a little.

Do you have pics? If we could see your hair, you might be surprised. So many of us see our hair in a new light after letting other people look at it. It may not be nearly as bad as you're perceiving it to be!

I'd still check out the GF Soft Curl Cream. Just put it soaking wet hair as it's a bit like mozzarella cheese :lol: .

Let us know how the Marc Anthony works. I remember the Agree .. have you googled it? It might still be out there somewhere.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    Hi Lavendar Curls:

I will have to try the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] then. And guess what, I do have this in my cabinet!!! I looked yesterday, received it in a swap (there is about 1/4 bottle left) and kept it because I noticed there was not anything bad in it. I will try it today!!

Also, this may sound a little silly, but I have a few questions. What is a PJ Virgin, what is GF (the products you are naming), and I have no idea how to get a picture into this site to let you view my hair. I am pretty much a newbie.

Can you help me a bit on those things? Thanks!!!

Hi frizzbomb, thanks for the 2nd on encouraging me to try CurlKeeper!!

Hi 4nnie, I am beginning to realize that not everyone can go coneless. I often use the long hair community board too and things can really get confusing. Alot of people over on that board use oils on their hair. I started a post about jojoba oil. The post went on and on until one person stated that oil does not penetrate the hair, it only protects it like cones do. So what is the use in using oils?? Another person stated that conditioner was the same way. I thought that deep conditioning treatments penetrated and helped the hair. Really got me thinking. As we all know hair is dead somewhat, except for the root area and below. So, what really works to repair hair that is in such unhealthy shape? I just do not know anymore. I am just so very confused.
    Got it Lavendar Curls!!! Product Junkie!!!!!

Just in case anyone is interested....
    Here are the Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion ingredients:
    Water (Aqua), PVP/VA Copolymer, Polysorbate-20, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Cellouse, Polyquaterunim-7, Styrene VP/Cocolymer, Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Fragrance (parfum), Propylene Glycol, Imidazoidinyl Urea, Menhyl Parben, Propyl Parben, Carbomer, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Triethanolamine, Yellow 5 (C).

Very far sided, so I might have mis-spelled some things!!!
    Got it Lavendar Curls!!! Product Junkie!!!!!

By george, she's got it!! :lol:

Most people here use Fotki to upload their pics. Just open a free acount, and there'll be instructions on how to upload pics from your computer (once you download pics from a digital onto your puter).

So you had some CK all along!! I hope it works for you. If you have alot of hair, you'll probably need alot of CK.

Oh, and "GF" is for Garnier Fructis. All them green bottles in the hair aisle at Walmart :lol: .
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • ShandyShandy Posts: 3Registered Users
    I know how you feel about giving up. I have tried all the natural routines and can never seem to get to the point where it looks good. How long should it take? Also, I don't want to use six different things on my hair, scrunch this, plop that, diffuse here, clip there. Where do you get the time?

I had to look at the ingredients list on every conditioner in the drug store before I found one (ONE!) without cones. And I wonder if even it has one hidden in there somewhere??? It is Freeman Papaya and Lime Overboard Shine. Anyone?

If I give up and go back to cones, I have products that have worked well for me for many years. Sebastian Laminates Shampoo and Conditioner and Hairspray. Out of the shower a little Rusk Wired (same as Sally's Super Sexy Styling Sauce) mixed with a little Artec TextureLine Volume Gel. It ain't curls, but it is waves, and it is soft.
    Hi Shandy,

There are sticky threads with listings of no-cone shampoo's, conditioners and leave-ins on this board. That would probably make your search a lot easier.

How long have you been at it? I have been trying for over a month and I wonder too how long it is going to take.

My hair is so very wasted right now that I going to have to start modifying my routine.

I know I have alot of people on this board have commented to give hair about 1 month and should see quite a bit of improvement.

Unfortunely, that hasn't happened for me yet.

Me too, I am putting a lot more work into my hair now also.
    Hi Lavendar Curls:

I have to get that picture posted for you soon.

I could not do it today because I actually had a half-way decent hair day.

NO FRIZZ but I Lost ALOT OF MY WAVE!!!

First, I used Aveda Detox, lightly finger rubbed into scalp, and then down thru the rest of my hair. Rinsed out with warm water.

Then, I actually pulled out my Nexxus Humectress (which is on my swap list), but it seems to be a little more conditioning then everything else I have. Put a huge glob on my hair, trying to avoid the roots as much as possible, and combed very gently in shower.

Finished up washing body and shaving and then washed out Nexxus with warm water again. While rinsing, I made sure that I massaged my scalp again not to leave any reminents of anything on the scalp.

After slightly drying with microfiber towel, I took a big glop of Aloe Vera Gel and gently ran in thru my hair with fingers again avoiding scalp as much as possible.

Then I took some Keihls leave in, took my hair in four sections and put a dime size on each section gently with fingers again trying to avoid scalp.

The only thing I did not do was scrunch again, I am not sure if that is why I lost a lot of wave definition or if I used just a bit too much product.

By hey, no frizz or east-west hair :) Tomorrow I am going to try this again. Of course, without the Aveda Detox, going to put a little less product and scrunch lightly after products are in my hair.

My hair actually looks healthy today.

By the way, I got these recommendations in a mix (some from people on the LongHairCommunity Board and the Ouidad Book).

Gotta get more of that wave/curl back though!!!!!

Wanted to also add on that the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] did not work for me. Bummer.
  • FuzzyMonsterFuzzyMonster Posts: 259Registered Users
    futurehope--

I don't want to add any more confusion by suggesting things to try; it looks like you're getting some great advice already.

I just wanted to say that I think many of the things posted on the regular threads for curlies don't work for us wavies. What is the texture of your hair? I have very fine hair, and if I use conditioner at all, I look like an oily, wet rat. And I feel gross too. I know that's completely contrary to the advice given on this site. If your hair is wavy but fine, you might need to adjust accordingly.

Like I said, I don't want to make a bunch more suggestions when you already have so many things to try, but just consider that if you're a wavy, you might need a super-specialized routine. Don't worry if your hair needs something different from what is suggested for curlies. For me, I have to keep it simple. My hair is not exactly the way I want it to look yet, but it's better than it's ever been! Don't give up!

Hope that helps.
    Mostly 2A; Fine and wavy :batman:
    Hi FuzzyMonster!!

I am already learning that it must be much harder for wavies than curlies.

Don't worry, I haven't given up quite yet.

My hair is also fine (strands), but I have TONS of hair (so, I thick head of head).

I never look oily like you. My hair looks more parched and frizzy, fluffly soft (if you can picture that).

Also I have tons of waves.

I have found that conditioner tames my hair and I also use a leave-in conditioner. My hair never looks oily no matter what I do.

Look a few posts above this one on how I got my hair to tame down.

I have also found that which this tames my hair it does not define my waves well either. So therefore, I look less wavy. I do not like that part of it!! But it is better than being a poof ball.

Oh, will any of us every find the right routine.

Thank you for your response and trying to help. I'm still trying!!
  • FuzzyMonsterFuzzyMonster Posts: 259Registered Users
    I'm glad to hear you're finding some things that are working better for you!

One thing I don't see that you've tried is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. I mention it because you said you're still frustrated about not having definition and that you lost your waves. It's the only thing that works for me if I want definition.

I think we'll eventually find the right routine! Many people have! It just takes lots of patience and persistence. My problem is that I'm growing bangs out, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about that but wait! It's a pain, but I'm determined to muddle through it! I believe I'll be much happier with my hair and that it will be much easier to take care of if I can just get the front grown out. A year from now, I'll be a happy camper!

Anyway, I'm glad things are going better for you now. Good luck!
    Mostly 2A; Fine and wavy :batman:
    Hi Fuzzy Monster,

I have Bangs too. But there is no way I want to get rid of them because I do not look right without bangs. I look better with them.

My problem is those darn layers I let them put in my hair. I have to wait for them to grow out.

I will have to try out the Hard Rock Gelee and see if it will hold my curl definition better.

I am definately a product junkie, but only because I haven't found a whole lot that works for me yet. After I get there, I will no longer be a PJ.

I have learned one thing and one thing only, my hair likes to be washed at least every other day or once every three days.

Oh, and I love Aveda Detox when I need it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Oh, gosh, my hair was awful for the first three or four weeks of me trying the curly girl routine from Lorraine Massey's book. And then it took me AGES to tweak the routine to the point of it working for me. I think I'm getting there, but I still need to find an affordable gel that has a firm hold but won't be crunchy.

I find that not rinsing all the conditioner out works to help control frizz. The trick is making sure its not so much that it'll weigh down your hair. *sigh* I think you're right, futurehope, that we wavies have it much harder than the curlies. They don't have to worry about a stiff breeze coming along and blowing all the curl out of their hair.

My real issue is getting the right amount of the right gel. If I use too much, then my hair looks alright, but it's crunchy and stiff, but if I use too little, then all the wave will come out of it when I move, leaving it messy and frizzy. Argh.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You can try LA Looks Gel. I bought mine at CVS at it has good hold, I got the one in the yellow. (Cheap)

My hair gets scrunchy from the gel too, but most of the scrunch comes out when it is almost dry. What scrunch does not come out, I gently scrunch it out with my fingers after it dries.

I also need leave-in conditioner because my hair is so very dry and will fly away bad. I have not been able to find the right CO and/or balance for that issue.

Either I put in too heavy of a leave-in or too light of a leave-in or not enough leave-in. The CO seems to help with flyaways some too.

I also have to wash my hair, unlike a curly. I do not wash every day, but pretty close to it. Every other day or every 3 days.

I do clarify also, about twice every month. I use Aveda Detox, I think this is the only product I have found so far that I can actually call an actual "Staple".
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    Hey, just wanted to jump in here and say that my hair looked like CRAP for about a month. (My picts from January are proof!) Just took a while for it to bounce up. Once I was over the hump though it has been pretty darn good. I'd say 75% good - which is better than all the frizzy days from straitening it! If I remember right, the CG book even said that the transition might be rough, which was an understatment for me! LOL!

Bottom line is that you are getting to know your hair and what works for one isn't going to work for all - no more than we could all look good in the same swimsuit! Heehee. It took me a while to adjust to CG. You might need more time. Then again, it might just not be your thing!

Hang in there!
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file