need gel/conditioner advice! my gel is so not cutting it

smileysmiley Posts: 57Registered Users
So, I used to have great curly hair, right? The kind that was just like, whatever, and it was fine. Then I hit puberty, and for the past 4-5 years I've been trying to find stuff that works for my hair.

I need to find a good conditioner with lots of emollients and a styling gel that won't make my hair crunchy or frizzy, and preferably no cones? I've been doing some research and have found some conditioners worth checking out, but after about 2 1/2 hours of looking I still can't find a gel that seems to match what I need. I need a low-cost product (my mom is totally tired of buying new things), with no cones (I want to try the no-cone thing), for coarse hair that I think is low to medium porosity.

For awhile I've been using Suave Professionals Humectants for co wash and Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner, not washing that out completely seemed to help a bit. But they both have cones, and I know my hair doesn't really need the humectants. For styling I've been using HE totally twisted gel, mixed with just a bit of Kenra Curl Cream to help with moisture, but it's so unreliable. I need help, bad! Please fellow curlies, help this girl desperate to have healthy, beautiful hair.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b. coarse. low-medium porosity. kinda dry.
co- garnier sleek and shine
co wash-
suave naturals almond & shea butter
shampoo- johnson & johnson baby shampoo 1 time a week (if swimming) or 1 per month
deep co- garnier sleek and shine left on overnight
product- lotion w/ shea butter. he set me up gel
SOMETHING needs to be DIFFERENT!!

Comments

• Rebecca 1995Rebecca 1995 Posts: 118Registered Users
    try using samy curl mousse. i'm not sure if it's cg, but i use it and i REALLY like it on my thick hair. use about 1-2 egg sized dollops in your hands and distribute with a wide tooth comb. good luck in your search!
    Hair type: 2c - 3b!! o and its thick =]]

Currently Using:
    -John Frieda Daily Nourishment leave-in conditioning spray
    -Alberto VO5 Curvaceous Curls Styling Mousse
    -Living Proof No Frizz, Wave Shaping/Curl Defining Styling Cream (thick to coarse hair)
    I HEART CURLS <3
  • sarahb1396sarahb1396 Posts: 169Registered Users
    My favorite is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee! Look at my sig. Im pretty sure they are all CG :thumbup:
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:
  • KsLiZCuRlZKsLiZCuRlZ Posts: 272Registered Users
    I haven't tried these things but everybody is talking about how good they are and they dn't cost too much...for conditioner you can get GVP conditioning balm as your rinse out and any Suave or VO5 as a cowash ...for gel i heard hundreds of people talking about IC Fantasia Gel with Sparklites(SP??) gudluck
    CG..yep that's me!

:occasion7:
  • smileysmiley Posts: 57Registered Users
    thanks :) i'll try some of this stuff, hair gels are so difficult! thank god for this website eh?
    co wash-
    shampoo- johnson & johnson baby shampoo 1 time a week (if swimming) or 1 per month
  • smileysmiley Posts: 57Registered Users
    oh, and sarahb1396, what do your abbreviations stand for?
    co wash-
    smiley wrote: »
    oh, and sarahb1396, what do your abbreviations stand for?

in my sig?

AOGPB- Aubrey organics Glycogen Protein balancing
    EO- its an abbreviation for essential oils but thats what the brand is called EO
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]-KinkyCurlyCurlingCustard
    BRHG-biosilk rock hard gelee
    AOB5- Aubrey Organics b5 design gel
    MGA- max green alchemy styling gel
    JCRR- [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]jessicurl rockin ringlets[/buylink]
    PB- Pink Boots Curl Cream
    AOMM- Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic

• sweet-valentinesweet-valentine Posts: 64Registered Users
    i acualy don't like ic gel ....but you try look the L.A. Looks gels i like all of them but try the pink one for curls or the blue sport gel . get it's only two dollards they sell it every where not hard to find.. it enhances my curls and make them shiny.. and for curl creams-leave-in try garier leave ins for curls 3 bucks
    hairpics

High Porosity.

Conditioners: Suave (Assort.), breck, VO5,

Leave-in: Garnier Fructis) lustrasilk auessie moist KCKT, RosemarySage Tea spritz.

Stylers: L.A. Looks Sport Gel,L.A. Wet Looks Gel, Flaxseed honey gel.

DT: Lustrasilk ON DRY HAIR OR DAMP.
    Extras: Coconut oil, olive oil,Honey.molassed citrus acid.
    i acualy don't like ic gel ....but you try look the L.A. Looks gels i like all of them but try the pink one for curls or the blue sport gel . get it's only two dollards they sell it every where not hard to find.. it enhances my curls and make them shiny.. and for curl creams-leave-in try garier leave ins for curls 3 bucks

Wow thanks! I really want to try those L.A. looks gels. Are they CG?

• thickcurlygurlythickcurlygurly Posts: 230Registered Users
    Paul mitchell sculpting foam doesn't make your hair too crunchy, if you try it and you find its to crunchy for you just spritz your hair with water conditioner mix. It is a moisturizing mousse, cone-free, and i've used it for years trying different products and have always come back to it.

Brand- Paul Mitchell
    Name-moisturizing mousse
    Rating-I love it :love5:
    conditioner: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in co: GVP conditioning balm

And my hair hates avg :happy3:

Yes I consider myself obsessed with my hair. :happy7:
  • stelrgrlstelrgrl Posts: 3Registered Users
    go to your salon and buy the curls rock poo and conditioner it works in my hair ang go to blok buster and look at the mags ang get pixie theres and thing about taming your curls like the stars happy hunting
    :cya::smilebox:
  • stelrgrlstelrgrl Posts: 3Registered Users
    get catwalk curls rock and get pixie mag it has tips 4 good curls
  • connemara22connemara22 Posts: 69Registered Users
    i'm not a teen but....saw your issue and figured i'd chime in.

I've heard lots of people talking about flax seed gel so you could try that--boticelli babe on here sells it on etsy or you can make your own.
    I've also heard a lot of people talking about biotera gel (sallys beauty)--i bought it yesterday but haven't tried it yet. Biosilk rock hard gelee is also talked about a lot--i bought it saturday at ulta bc they were having a buy 2 get 1 free--haven't tried it yet.

for conditioners: Gvp conditioning balm at sallys, lustrasilk at sallys
    or
    shique brand biolage knock off gel and conditioning balm---found at aldi's.

there are tons of others but they are probably the least expensive and easiest to find

hope that helps ;)
  • Lil'curlsLil'curls Posts: 275Registered Users
    sarahb1396 wrote: »

Wow thanks! I really want to try those L.A. looks gels. Are they CG?

LA Looks Gels are CG, but they contain a lot of protein. Since you have course hair it may dry you out over time. I know I can't use LA Looks 2 days in a row or else I will start to get really dry.

I really liked Herbal Essences Set Me Up and Biosilk Rock Hard Gel. Since you said that you don't want your hair to crunch, you might consider getting the Biosilk Medium Hold Gel. I've seen it at JCPenny Salon, but I've had to ask Fantastic Sam's to order it for me a few times. It might still leave you a little crunch, but if you mix it with a leave in and scrunch your hair when it is completely dry that might help.
    Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
    Shampoo: DCLP
    Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
    Co Wash: Suave
    Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
    Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

• CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
    I have coarse hair also that needs lots of moisture, emolients, and no humectants. The best condish I've ever found for coarse hair is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. It actually makes my hair feel soft! And it smells heavenly.

One of the most popular gels on this website is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/buylink]. So many people swear by it and love it. However, it is around 30 dollars for a 32 oz tub. If you want a cheaper alternative you can buy the EcoStyler Gel at Sally's for around $3.50. Many people say it works the same and I personally love it! Just make sure you use a leave in conditioner with it.

Oh, and both these products are cone free! HTH
    CG since December 22, 2008!:thumbright:
    Thick/Coarse/Porous/3a/Protein Sensitive

Luvin the Spritz and Condish method! =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file