What procedure do you follow for home coloring?

DraupadiDraupadi Posts: 33Registered Users
I'll be coloring my hair for the first time since I've been doing the CG routine and was hoping you all could advise me as to how I should go about it.
Here are my 2 questions:
1. Should I wash my hair prior to coloring (at least a day before)? I'm concerned about the buildup on my hair from conditioners/product and the effect they may have on the color staying on my hair.
2. Should I use my regular conditioner after coloring?
Any advice would help.
Thanks in advance!
Draupadi
3c/Afro-Asian Fusion hair
Oyin Whipped Pudding/VO5's Silky Experiences Moisturizing condish/Citre Shine Fresh Fusion Curl Boosting Gel

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I wash it the day before (or clarify with ACV) and don't put any conditioner or products in afterwards. When you look at the instructions that come with the hair color, most of them say to apply the color to clean dry hair. It's better to dye a day after washing because it gives your scalp a chance to produce some oil, which will help protect it. And you can use your regular conditioner after coloring.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • DraupadiDraupadi Posts: 33Registered Users
    Thanks for the advice. :)
    I'm such a conditioner/product junkie that I sometimes get freaked out when I CAN'T use 'em!
    Draupadi
    3c/Afro-Asian Fusion hair
    Oyin Whipped Pudding/VO5's Silky Experiences Moisturizing condish/Citre Shine Fresh Fusion Curl Boosting Gel
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I get freaked out about being SEEN with no conditioner/products! I pull my hair back into a super-tight bun to keep the frizz and fluff under wraps... it's much safer for everyone that way!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Draupadi wrote:
    I'll be coloring my hair for the first time since I've been doing the CG routine and was hoping you all could advise me as to how I should go about it.
    Here are my 2 questions:
    1. Should I wash my hair prior to coloring (at least a day before)? I'm concerned about the buildup on my hair from conditioners/product and the effect they may have on the color staying on my hair.
    2. Should I use my regular conditioner after coloring?
    Any advice would help.
    Thanks in advance!

i use robt craig and I wash w/lowpoo the same day, let dry and when it is dry i put the color on. works fine. my salon people said that with salon coloring there is so much ammonia and stuff in it that it cleans off all the buildup so it does not matter. r craig is much gentler and so will not work if there are products in hair. after coloring i co wash tho.
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • ldscurly-qldscurly-q Posts: 40Registered Users
    I don't worry about buildup affecting the color and I don't shampoo anyway, but when I did, I wouldn't if I was going to color for a couple of days prior. The oils on your scalp helps to protect your scalp from the chemicals.
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shampoo twice per week with Bumble and Bumble Gentle Shampoo, followed by Rich Conditioner, Leave In (or rinse out) Conditioner and Prep spray. Bb Curl Conscious Creme (thick hair) and Tri Styling Gel.
  • sweetpeacurlisweetpeacurli Posts: 343Registered Users
    Depends on the dye I'm using. With the RC, I'll use Kenra Clarifying shampoo and let my hair dry overnight, then dye in the morning. With pretty much every other dye I've ever used, I'd want to use it on hair that was as dirty as possible - I always seemed to get less damage that way!
    Sulfate and Silicone-free since 2005
    CO-wash convert since October 2010
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Twitter: @sweetpeacurli

Currently loving:
    • Vo5 tea therapy conditioners
    • Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner
    • Giovanni Direct leave-in
    • Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    I am now completely out of the closet as the craziest of crazy cat ladies. I own it. I embrace it. I am one with the crazy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file