CurlTalk

Poll: race relations

~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
Do you want to get along with people of ethnicities that are different from yours? If so, what steps do you take to that end?

This could be a positive thread or a negative thread. The choice is yours.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I think it's very hard for someone to know if they succeed or fail at positive race relations. I think you either try or don't care.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    I agree with Amneris on that. It's hard to know if you're successful or unsuccessful, but you either try to be successful, or you don't care. I try, but I don't know how to vote.

ETA: In a way though, I don't care. Not that I don't care if I get along with people of a different race, because I do. But I don't care if those people are a different race. I always try to be somewhat color blind and just see the people for who they are. If I like someone, I like them. To me it doesn't matter what color their skin is or what country they're from or how they speak. If I dislike them, the same applies. I try not to make race too big of an issue when I'm just dealing with people, just like I don't make other issues too big of a deal. So I still don't know how to vote on that one.
    DPTFm5.png
    You could also be fooling yourself that you "try", but you wouldn't know that.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:

Is that general or specific?
    DPTFm5.png
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

General.

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

General.

I thought so :D

And I agree with you, but I think if someone is going to fool themself that they're trying, then they must care enough to want to try, or to be trying. It's very complicated - we need more options CC :D
    DPTFm5.png
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I try and fail miserably on this board. :(
    I try and fail miserably on this board. :(

Me too :(

IRL however, it generally doesn't come up for me. I just talk to people as people and it works itself out. I've never been accused of being racist IRL and I've had friends of all different races without it really coming up much. Sure, they'd talk about their culture, I'd talk about mine, but it was not usually as much of an issue as on this board. I think because we had other things to do besides just talk about it.... Friendship is not just talking; but also doing stuff together, etc.
    DPTFm5.png
  • msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    I try. I try not to let an ignorant group of people sway my beliefs.
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I'm confused about this thread, what is its purpose? I can't imagine anyone saying that they don't try and that they hate other races :lol: All you'll get are people saying they try, which on this board I have seen many people try :)

I voted that I try and I succeed. I have a diverse family and diverse group of friends. The friends thing seems to change though, so at the moment it is diverse but you never know if someone will move away or something and whether or not that will change.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    I voted that I try and I succeed. I have a diverse family and diverse group of friends. The friends thing seems to change though, so at the moment it is diverse but you never know if someone will move away or something and whether or not that will change.

ITA.
    :rambo:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

ITA.

ITA, in real life too.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Over the years, I've become personal friends with many people from around the globe, of all colors, ethnicities, religious beliefs and sexual orientations.

I think treating everyone the same, respecting them for who they are on the inside, in their souls, so to speak, is more important than relating to what's on the outside.

I do believe that their are people who just don't care. I've met a few of them. I've also met people who mean well, but just don't "get" it. I've also met those who believe their way of dealing with racial issues is the only way they can possibly believe in and that shuts out many people who are trying in their own way. Even if someone is not entirely effective, give them some encouragement to continue trying; do not berate them for falling short (flies to honey mentality.)
    ________
    ZOLOFT PREGNANCY
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    I do believe that their are people who just don't care. I've met a few of them. I've also met people who mean well, but just don't "get" it. I've also met those who believe their way of dealing with racial issues is the only way they can possibly believe in and that shuts out many people who are trying in their own way. Even if someone is not entirely effective, give them some encouragement to continue trying; do not berate them for falling short (flies to honey mentality.)

I agree with every single thing you said here. The flies to honey thing is definitely my strategy because it's just more effective. People can be very defensive about this sort of thing so it's often like walking on eggshells. I think that with a lot of people (especially those who are damaged goods, for one reason or another), you have to earn their trust before they can handle criticism or more information. I don't know.

I do see that there are very strained racial relationships on this forum and it makes me very sad. :cry:
    I find it sad that someone has actually voted for #2!!!!! :shock: :(
    DPTFm5.png
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    I try but I guess whether I succeed or not would be up to each individual I deal with
    Delma wrote:
    I try but I guess whether I succeed or not would be up to each individual I deal with

Very good point.
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Posts: 458Registered Users
    I try with anyone regardless of race/ethnic background...I just try because they are human.
    3c
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    I try with anyone regardless of race/ethnic background...I just try because they are human.

Same here.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
    i voted i just dont care...b/c i really don't.

you're cordial to me, im cordial to you. you're rude to me, im rude to you. but i have no desire to become the race-relations crusader. if it didnt work when getting along was the mantra of the times...why would it work now? i concentrate on being a good person and to hell with all the issues that are out of my hands!
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LOL @ Jazzijenni

• fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    i clicked on "i try and succeed" because i am the race relations crusader!, lol. 8)
  • frizzybarbiefrizzybarbie Posts: 483Registered Users
    I try to live by the Golden Rule and treat others the way I would want to be treated regardless of race/ethnicity and etc.
    4a pencil-sized corkscrews that are low porosity, fine, thick, & layered
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I'm having a tough time picking an answer. Becaue when I am dealing with a person of whatever race, I am not thinking "I better be extra nice to Christina, in order to improve race relations". I'm thinking "Gee, Christina is nice and I like her" or "Gosh, Christina is kind of a ****. I'm gonn try to avoid her"
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Read my sig line.
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    geeky wrote:
    I'm having a tough time picking an answer. Becaue when I am dealing with a person of whatever race, I am not thinking "I better be extra nice to Christina, in order to improve race relations". I'm thinking "Gee, Christina is nice and I like her" or "Gosh, Christina is kind of a &%$@#!. I'm gonn try to avoid her"

That's why I picked "just don't care".

I will always give people the benefit of the doubt in the beginning, after that, if we did not hit it off as friends, I will continue to be nice to them as long as they are nice to me. If they are rude, etc. I will most likely just avoid them all together.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
    geeky wrote:
    I'm having a tough time picking an answer. Becaue when I am dealing with a person of whatever race, I am not thinking "I better be extra nice to Christina, in order to improve race relations". I'm thinking "Gee, Christina is nice and I like her" or "Gosh, Christina is kind of a &%$@#!. I'm gonn try to avoid her"

Yes, ITA.

The only place I feel like I have to make an extra effort because of race is here.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    You know, I didn't really give it much thought, and clicked "I try and I succeed." I think "I just don't care" would be a more appropriate answer. I don't put any extra effort towards anyone just because they might be of a particular race. And anyone who is walking around with a chip on their shoulder and feels they deserve such an effort- well, I do my best not to bother with them at all.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    geeky wrote:

Yes, ITA.

The only place I feel like I have to make an extra effort because of race is here.

I agree with CGE, geeky and CMD on this one! I think of people based on who they are. I either like them or I don't. It has nothing to do with race; and it is so true for me that the only time it's an issue is here.
    DPTFm5.png
    Every time I post something for the first time, lightly clicking, it tells me I can't make another post so soon after my last! UGH.

Sorry for the DP. Hope this goes through. THis is my fifth attempt at saying this..
    DPTFm5.png