Ethnic background, local ingredients & what your hair li

I've been discovering that my course wavy hair really likes sesame oil, lemon, and honey but isn't very happy with corn oil and usually acts badly with coconut oil. The funny thing is that my hair is like my Lebanese Grandfather's side of the family and the things it likes are very common in Lebanese cooking. Decades ago, I think it liked henna, another common thing in the middle east, though I haven't tried one recently.

Now, I know this may be just a coincidence--for goodness sake, lots of people's hair like those things!--but it got me wondering. So many of us have completely different hair likes and dislikes, even with the same texture and curl--has anyone else noticed a connection like this? or, for that matter, noticed absolutely no connection at all?
shoulder length, dark brown and 2b-ish
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    This is an interesting question. I like to use spicy essential oils like cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon, too. Maybe that partly correlates w/my background. My favorite haircare ingredient is honey, though, and I've had good results with Caribbean honey ( a blend from various countries in the region), Mexican honey, and English honey; almost every honey I've tried, in fact. So I think it is more of a surface chemistry thing than geography, IMO.

I would like to think that there is a link, because that would mean that the best natural ingredients for your hair can be easily found in the local, natural environment.

I think this is complicated by the fact that most people have ancestors from various countries; that would create a lot of possible combinations!
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Whew! I really don't have a clue. To be honest, I know that I'm English/Hungarian/who knows what else....so I wouldn't know what kind of cooking or ingredients might've been used.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    I guess mine does...considering that I'm mixed. It seemed a lot of products used in black people's hair was too heavy for mine...but the stuff used in white people's hair didn't do enough. I'm black, white,irish,indian and german so my hair tends to be confused!lol :? Even when I was washing my hair...I could never go as long as my black friends could but when I tried washing everyday...it was worse!!

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    It seemed a lot of products used in black people's hair was too heavy for mine...but the stuff used in white people's hair didn't do enough

A lot of people say that. . . I think the reason a lot of "white" products tend to be drying is because they tend to be created for people w/straight/slightly wavy hair. Which can make them pretty drying on curly hair, regardless of race, as they don't cater to the moisture needs of most curlyheads.

I think some of the "black" products (specifically greases) are too heavy, period. Heavy products tend to pull out the curl, but perhaps as many of the consumers aren't wearing their natural curls, this is not an issue.

Back on topic, I think once people try natural ingredients, it makes it more likely that they will find an ingredient from their own culture, as they experiment with recipes from their own kitchen.
  • NuttyHairNuttyHair Posts: 75Registered Users
    I've never tried matzo ball soup on my head! :D
    3B, I think w/very thick hair, shoulder length. Fall hair: Low Poo, TS, CK, Aloeba leave in, recoil or RR, plop, BRHG or SMU, no blow dry.
  • amandagamandag Posts: 24Registered Users
    I'm Italian. I guess I can try spaghetti :wink:

I have tried olive oil and my hair doesn't really like that.
    3b I think?!
    password: hair
    http://public.fotki.com/amandag/hair/
  • who knew?who knew? Posts: 8Registered Users
    :lol: I'll tell ya, if I thought matzo or spaghetti would help the frizz on these humid days, I'd be pouring it on my poor hair!

I wasn't thinking just food, exactly, but more things that are common from the area. Like, do curlies with heratage from tropical areas find coconut works well, or aloe (coconut isn't so good for me and aloe is neurtal to poor), do those who aren't find they aren't so good?

Do curlies with northern European backgrounds find that flax seed gel works for them (not so good for me)?

If wheat protien is bad for you but silk is good, or vice versa, is there a connection to your heratage?

I agree that backgrounds are usually so mixed (myself included) that it may not be real possible to tell. Plus, Jeamaria, that's an good point about people trying things that you have or recognize.

Amandag, it's interesting that your hair doesn't like olive oil (mine love it)--kind of blows my theory in this case!

But, wouldn't it be nice if we could have a good start to knowing what our hair wants without all the trial and error ( :shock: <--this is me looking really hard, trying to find a Holy Grail)
    shoulder length, dark brown and 2b-ish
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Posts: 458Registered Users
    Yeah, I guess it does. My background is confusing and so is my hair. I'm part Italian, and my hair seems to like olive oil.
    3c
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    jeamaria wrote:
    It seemed a lot of products used in black people's hair was too heavy for mine...but the stuff used in white people's hair didn't do enough

A lot of people say that. . . I think the reason a lot of "white" products tend to be drying is because they tend to be created for people w/straight/slightly wavy hair. Which can make them pretty drying on curly hair, regardless of race, as they don't cater to the moisture needs of most curlyheads.

Yeah, I used to feel the same way as Brown&Curly. Naturally, when I first heard of Curls, I got super-excited "oooh, hair products just for people like me!" :lol: Fell for the marketing ploy hook, line, and sinker. :wink: Anyway, I've since realized that there are good products out there that work well for me.

As for the original question... it's an interesting idea, but I really don't know! I'm such a calico cat anyway, it would be a wide array of products I could use...
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • miaDUMINACANmiaDUMINACAN Posts: 16Registered Users
    NuttyHair wrote:

This is too funny! What am I supposed to use black beans? Hey they have protien!
    3a/b

No poo, Deva brown, One C, Deva Leav in, BioSilk Rock Hard Gel and Diffuse!!!

I am loving honey w/ ginsing miracle 8 as my treatment.
  • GettinControlGettinControl Posts: 828Registered Users
    Another Italian here! My grandparents were all from Italy. I don't think my hair likes olive oil but seems to like sweet almond oil and jojoba oil in the Love Is In The Hair recipe from the CG book.

Amandag,
    I was looking at your pics. You have pretty hair!
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    Yeah, I guess it does. My background is confusing and so is my hair. I'm part Italian, and my hair seems to like olive oil.

lol, what does that mean?
  • KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    gee what does my hair look like?
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
  • CurlyTiff31CurlyTiff31 Posts: 125Registered Users
    ok i need to jerk chicken, cuban tacos, and ...but seriously, I think it does...
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,652Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm Italian and some of the ingredients in my deep treatments do sound like part of a good meal - olive oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, strong coffee.

I also use honey and I do regular vinegar rinses (usually with wine vinegar. I'm not using my prized balsamic on my hair, no way!).

My hair doesn't like too much coconut oil or glycerine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,029Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NuttyHair wrote:

how about some nice schmaltz for deep conditioning? :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users
    I inherited my fine, thick, curly, dark hair from my Danish great-grandmother. I have no idea what traditional Danish haircare would involve. I live in a dry climate and my hair loves moisture. That's all I can tell you.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • curlykristincurlykristin Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am very very pale and rosy and look good with red hair although i am naturally dark blonde (6n) and have green eyes. Ireland manifested in me appearance wise. Everyone else in my immediate family is olive with dark brown hair. Not sure what local hair ingredients are in Ireland. But i am very dry (skin too- ashy if i don't moisturize every day) . My hair responds best to hair products marketed to African americans. My hair loves stuff like shea butter, aloe, oils and ohh Jamacian mango and lime cactus oil serum. My hair and skin love humid climates. I was in heaven in the cayman islands. I would classify myself as an African Irish American.
    :sunny:3B- anywhere from sidewalk chalk to straw sized! High Porosity and fine, low density

Day 1
    Shea moisture high porosity cowash
    shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl conditioner 
    KCCC
    DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2
    spritz with oil wonders volume rose conditioner diluted with water and rescrunch
    one squirt of frizz free foam

Deep Treatment:
    Shea Moisture High Porosity masque
    aphogee keratin and green tea protein spray

Currently in recovery from too much bleach and chronic heat styling. 
  • curlicious3bcurlicious3b Posts: 458Registered Users
    zmanzzzz wrote:

lol, what does that mean?
    I don't know. :lol: I think I was saying too many things in too little words.
    3c
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users
    I would classify myself as an African Irish American.

Black Irish. Represent! :lol:
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    NuttyHair wrote:

Don't think Jerk chicken or coconut peas and rice work work on mine either :--)). Is this a trick question? What's an ethnic product? A lot of the products you find in the Black hair care section are made by mainstream, caucasion-owned/run companies. Also, I've never seen Italian or Lebanese hair sections in the store, or Hawaiian or Haitian or Dominican. I think I'll go crack a coconut over my head now.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file