Eating before exercising

BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
Is it bad to eat before you work out? If I can, I like to do cardio before I eat, so I go early in the morning. Days I do strength training, I'll eat something before I go. However, today, my mom needs me home while she isn't, so I won't get to the gym until close to 2. I've had oatmeal and a yogurt, and I was hoping to leave now for the gym, but she's running late. By the time I get home, it will be close to 4 I guess, and frankly, under 300 calories by 4:00 is not something I'm interested in doing. I'll eat something else before I leave, mostly so I don't have to eat a lot later to hit my points (Weight Watchers), and also so I don't feel like crap for not having eaten enough for the hours I've been awake. So yes, today I'll eat more, but my question is more about everyday routines.
Under construction.

Comments

• Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    I work out in the evenings, so yes, I normally do eat beforehand. It's hard for me to workout with an empty stomach. I've even passed out a few times attempting to do so (by working out first thing in the morning). As long as it's nothing heavy, I don't see a problem with it.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    Aries_jb wrote:
    I work out in the evenings, so yes, I normally do eat beforehand. It's hard for me to workout with an empty stomach. I've even passed out a few times attempting to do so (by working out first thing in the morning). As long as it's nothing heavy, I don't see a problem with it.

Omg! That's what I'd like to avoid. I occasionally have blood sugar issues, so if I'm feeling funny, I'll always eat before I go. Some days I can go without it, though. There are only 2 days I do only cardio, so the others I eat.

Thanks. :)
    Under construction.
  • JessicurlJessicurl Posts: 401Registered Users
    You'll get a better workout if you have some fuel in you. If you have something light in the hour or two before working out, you'll have more energy to get a better workout. A mix of carbs and protein with a little fat is best, like a low fat fruit yogurt, for example.
    If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    Jessicurl wrote:
    A mix of carbs and protein with a little fat is best, like a low fat fruit yogurt, for example.

That's often what I eat beforehand. Doing something right. :)
    Under construction.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    When I was in college, the sports nutritionist (who is often quoted in fitness magazines) said that ~100 calories of carbs ~1 hour before your workout is best. I've found that a mix of carbs & protein OR carbs & fat is good for me - one slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter or cheese OR with margarine works well. When I used to run first thing in the morning I would buy those tiny 4 oz juice boxes of juicy juice (100% juice). They're around 60 calories each and just enough to get me going in the morning.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file