Need thoughts about a haircut (my first since starting CG)

WavyAngieWavyAngie Posts: 44Registered Users
I started CG all of three days ago (really, I started about a week ago, then checked the shampoo I used as my last sulfate wash on a whim, saw it had a silicon in it, and started over three days ago). My hair... doesn't look the greatest, lol. It curls sporadically, but it looks dry and frizzy, except at the roots where it's a little oily. From what I've read on this site, my hair is transitioning, which I understand and am fine with. Except, the bottom three inches or so (I have BSL hair) just don't do much of anything except look fried. I straightened with a straightening iron for a while, and it's been a while since my last hair cut (almost six months... I know), so I'm pretty sure the bottom part is just damaged and needs to be chopped off. Am I better of waiting until my hair adjusts to the CG method to get it cut, or should I go now? I would really like to get it cut now, because I think my hair will look better with it gone, and will probably curl better.

There's another factor, in that my hair stylist doesn't know I've gone CG, and I'm willing to bet she probably has no idea what it is. She has straight hair, and I feel like I've gotten average curly hair cuts from her before (she's thinned my hair before I knew it was bad). I know that I'm going to have to find a hairstylist who is familiar with wavy/curly hair at some point, but I can't do it right now. I have a lot of personal drama right now (my parents are in the middle of a messy divorce, and there's something of a custody battle brewing for my younger siblings) and finding a better hairstylist just isn't a priority right now.

So, bearing in mind that I don't want her to freak out because my hair is transitioning and looks bad, am I better off going and getting the damaged parts chopped off now, or waiting until the transition time ends?

Thanks!
I have fine, 2c hair with normal porosity (I think.... :) ).

Currently, I'm using Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (co-wash), LVPNG (regular conditioner), Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and HETT (gel). Every now and then (once a week or so, whenever my hair needs it) I use GTTT shampoo. I've had good success with plopping and pixie curling, but my hair dries best if I shower and then sleep on it. My hair does NOT like honey.

I've been CG since June 29th, 2009.

Comments

• jerseygirl07067jerseygirl07067 Posts: 296Registered Users
    I'd say get it cut, even if it means losing a bit of length, but you may get different opinions. Healthier hair always looks so much better! Once you get the fried ends off you might notice a significant difference. I had been straightening and highlighting and coloring my hair until about 12 months ago and after my most recent cut my ends felt like they're never felt before. Smooth and soft. I guess it took a few cuts to get the most damaged areas off.

I know people have had bad luck at chain salons, but I've gotten great cuts at Hair Cuttery every time. I think struttswife posted a while back, "things to ask your stylist" and there was something in one of her posts that said how to ask your stylist to cut your hair if they're not familiar with CG and the Devacut. I can't remember if it was in that post or not. (I'd find it for you but I have to get off the computer in a minute)

HTH!

Hair Type - medium to fine texture, high porosity, lots of it, type 2b/3a
  • WavyAngieWavyAngie Posts: 44Registered Users
    Thank you for responding :)

I know exactly the thread you mean! I read it before I went CG (literally ten minutes before I was about to call to make an appointment to get my hair cut, ironically), and pretty much all the things struttswife suggested we tell our hairstylers were the opposite of what my hairstyler does to my hair. So it gave me pause.

I still haven't thought of how I'm going to suggest those things to her. I don't know how well my hairstylist is going to take being told EXACTLY what to do by someone who hasn't been cutting hair for ten years (me). I figured I would at least start by telling her no thinning shears or razors, both of which she has used on my hair in the past. The rest, though... I don't know.
    I have fine, 2c hair with normal porosity (I think.... :) ).

Currently, I'm using Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut (co-wash), LVPNG (regular conditioner), Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and HETT (gel). Every now and then (once a week or so, whenever my hair needs it) I use GTTT shampoo. I've had good success with plopping and pixie curling, but my hair dries best if I shower and then sleep on it. My hair does NOT like honey.

I've been CG since June 29th, 2009.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file