OK, one more BFing question: did your mom breastfeed?

mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
I come from a family where all the women, including my mom, breastfed their babies (for varying times from 6 weeks to 16 months). There was never any question of whether I would BF, it was a given that that's how you feed a baby. I'm certain that this attitude had something to do with my success at BFing despite a really rocky start.

I was just realizing yesterday that every one of my friends who formula fed their babies has, at one time or another, said to me "Well, I was formula fed, and I'm doing fine". So I wonder then if it was easier for them to make the decision to not breastfeed or to quit breastfeeding early because they didn't have a breastfeeding role model.

No judgements here, just curious about how family influences our parenting decisions. Were you breastfed, and how has it affected your views on breastfeeding?
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• littlemisscurlylittlemisscurly Posts: 161Registered Users
    I was never breastfed, I think my mum's exact words were; "I didn't want that thing clamped to me all day". She had bad post-natal depression with me (although was the early 80's so never diagnosed). I'm not saying she doesn't love me but she's not a very maternal person. But I was bottle fed and turned out just fine, perfectly healthy and with a loving mum.

I think it just depends on you, I've always presumed that if/when I have kids I will breast feed, but we'll see.
    3A hair, very boring brown colour, just over shoulders (aiming for BSL)
    Photo Password: password
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    It was the 70s.....my mom wasn't hip.....no BF for me..... :lol:
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No. I was not breastfed, but I am the black sheep of the family. I tend to always go in the opposite direction of everybody else. :lol: There was no question in my mind that I would breastfeed.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    no, my mom said she did try with me when I was born but it never "worked out" and back in the day you didn't have "lactation people" to help you.. so she went right for the bottle for me!

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    My mom breastfed all 5 of us in a time when it just "wasn't done." Possibly because she was raised on a farm, but most likely because it was free.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I was not breastfed; but, I chose to breastfeed my children. My decision was based on research and what I felt was best for my children.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was not breastfed, but my brother was. Mom couldn't breastfeed me because during her labor, I was breech, she needed an emergency c-section and then started hemmoraging...the drugs that she was on weren't good for bebe's. I was also extremely jaundiced and had a bad reaction to some of the anesthetics, so...

She STILL to this day talks about how I was formula fed and my brother was breastfed, etc. Due to other issues that I have with her and my brother, it's kinda depressing.

I chose to breastfeed my kids because of health reasons and because it's free...also creates more bonding with the baby, etc.
    :rambo:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom didn't try to BF me. She was too busy being a hot young twenty something. I think she BF my brother and I know she did a few months with my sister. I don't know if we ever talked much about me BFing Xander. I knew from the start that I would at least give it a shot because of reading that breastmilk is best. Once he was born early, I knew I had to do more tha n just give it a shot since he already was disadvantaged because of being a preemie. My mom helped a lot in the early days with showing me just what the pump was for and trying to get him latched on.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I have no idea if my mom breastfed us kids. My guess would be no considering we were born in the '50s and '60s. Back then, formula was seen as a saviour - no need to be tied to your baby all day! Give 'em formula!

And I must say...we all turned out fine. My sister and I especially had no issues - we weren't sickly kids, just had chicken pox like everyone else, we never caught colds or anything. My brother was a sickly little boy (not a sickly baby - he was fine 'til he was about 4 when his tonsils burst. I have no idea if that had anything to do with not being breastfed).

As adults, all three of us are in robust good health, thank God.

On the flipside, we were not daycare babies. Mom and Dad both worked full-time (and then some) but we stayed with one of the grandmas or with our aunts and uncles, so we were within the family circle all the time.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I think many of us (myself included) were formula fed back in the day due to lack of a support network and information. I highly doubt my mother had lactation consultants available to her in the 1970s.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
    mazey wrote:
    I think many of us (myself included) were bottle fed back in the day due to lack of a support network and information. I highly doubt my mother had lactation consultants available to her in the 1970s.

I also would think it was a societal thing as well - no one else was breastfeeding in your circle of friends/relatives, so why would you? Formula was available, and at the time they thought it was just as good as the breast, so why tie yourself down to breastfeeding if you didn't have to?

Of course back when I was born, the medical community still thought cigarette smoking wasn't really all that harmful, so hey. What did they know?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    I was not breastfed, but my brother was. Mom couldn't breastfeed me because during her labor, I was breech, she needed an emergency c-section and then started hemmoraging...the drugs that she was on weren't good for bebe's. I was also extremely jaundiced and had a bad reaction to some of the anesthetics, so...

She STILL to this day talks about how I was formula fed and my brother was breastfed, etc. Due to other issues that I have with her and my brother, it's kinda depressing.

I chose to breastfeed my kids because of health reasons and because it's free...also creates more bonding with the baby, etc.
    J~
    Is he a golden penis as well?

I was not b/f...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• funkymunkycurlfunkymunkycurl Posts: 83Registered Users
    My mom BFd me, but not my sisters. She now feels like even though it was hard to be there for me all the time, she feels like she did a disservice to my sisters. They both got sick a lot when they were growing up, and my mom feels that it's because they didn't get all the good stuff babies get when they are BFd as opposed to the bottle.
    Formerly known as colomunky.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    mazey wrote:
    I think many of us (myself included) were formula fed back in the day due to lack of a support network and information. I highly doubt my mother had lactation consultants available to her in the 1970s.

I was also born in the 70's, and my mom actually told me that her healthcare providers were totally PRO-breastfeeding. It seems hard to imagine based on what others have said. But this was hippie California, so maybe that was the difference.

Until I got pregnant and actually starting talking to other people about breastfeeding, I never even knew that most babies were formula fed since I only really ever noticed the babies in the my family. My family are immigrants, so maybe that's made a difference.

Interesting answers everyone, though.
    J~
    Is he a gold penis as well?

I was not b/f...

I have no idea what the gold penis means. LOL.
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I have no idea if I was breastfed or not, I don't think it has ever come up in conversation.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

I wonder why she's still hung up on that? Honestly, you're both adults, and you, at least, are healthy as a horse. What's the point of banging on and on and on about who was breastfed and who wasn't?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    J~

I was not b/f...

I refer to my brother as "the golden penis" - the chosen one, the favored child.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    PartyHair wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    J~

I was not b/f...

I refer to my brother as "the golden penis" - the chosen one, the favored child.
    As do I...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

PartyHair wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    J~

I was not b/f...

Ah, yes. He is the golden penis.

And now, it would seem, since my mom mentions the bf/ff all the time that my feelings about him being the golden penis probably started when I was a toddler when he was born. I do know that it's one of the things that's fueling the fire of my depression during the last few weeks.
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    J~

I was not b/f...

Ah, yes. He is the golden penis.

And now, it would seem, since my mom mentions the bf/ff all the time that my feelings about him being the golden penis probably started when I was a toddler when he was born. I do know that it's one of the things that's fueling the fire of my depression during the last few weeks.

Listen, regardless of what your mother thinks, you're a terrific person. You're a great mom, and you're fighting hard to do what you think is best for your baby girl.

I know me saying that doesn't mean anything, but I see what you post and I feel that I "know" you to a certain extent. I know that you love your kids ferociously, both of them. You're a great mom, J.

Childhood can f us up in a big way. I hope you can get past that, because you're a good woman.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

I'm so sorry M2LR, your Mom's attitude must really hurt right now. {{HUGS}}
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

I'm so sorry M2LR, your Mom's attitude must really hurt right now. {{HUGS}}

Yeah, and it doesn't help that when I got pregnant the second time and was hoping for a girl that she made comments that she didn't think that I would be able to "handle a girl" with all of the emotional issues that they tend to have (the drama, the teenage years).

So, I look at my daughter and pray that I don't F her up. I feel as though I have been all ready set up to fail.

Okay, I am done pouring my heart out now. LOL.

Thanks, PH. It really does mean a lot to hear those things. Hubby and I had a talk last night, he really doesn't know how to deal with my being depressed and all of that. He gave me some really great words of encouragement and it does help to hear it from my online friends, too.

I am debating just talking to my mom about this stuff, telling her that she really needs to stop with her comments because really, they DON'T help.

NOW~ Back to the original topic!!!!
    (((hugs))) J~
    I couldn't have said it better, PH...I totally agree...
    J~ you are an amazing Mom!
    Now back to our reg scheduled program...

0004.gif

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    My mom has said that she tried to BF but couldn't. I don't think her milk came in too well and she said it hurt. Who knows how much she really tried--it was back in the late 50s and 60s so I doubt there was a big push to BF.

Three of my sisters BFd their kids. The fourth tried with her twins but it wasn't easy. She pumped for a while but eventually switched over to formula.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    She said she tried. She said was was so nervous. She didn't produce enough milk. She said she wished she had, though.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Yep all 3 of us to varying degrees. She breastfed me but back then cereal started at a couple of weeks post birth and solids way early so she started me as well.

Then sis was 3 months old when we moved to the states so she started her on formula when my mom had to go to work and didn't have a pump or access to one.

I remember actually seeing her breastfeed my brother but again, solids were started early (this was in 1985).

The one thing that stands out to me is that when my mom breastfed my brother she never did it in public. Not even among family. She always went into a bedroom to nurse. She's told me she's proud of me for nursing the kids and for being able to do it this long and in public. I'm sure she had a ton of pressure from my jealous/paranoid dad about nursing in public so it must not have been easy to continue.

However, I can see the early start of solids and cereal didn't help us. Right now I have no health problems but have trouble remaining svelte. My sister just found out she has PCOS. My brother's weight also fluctuates and all 3 of us had asthma as children which was resolved by adulthood although my sister's has returned.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    My mama breastfed me for 8 or 9 months, she says, and then she got pregnant again and weaned me. She breastfed all of us for as close to a year or beyond as she could. I too have always assumed I will breastfeed (barring exceptional circumstances, and I would try to pump some if I couldn't breast feed.) I've always heard from family that breastfeeding is better for the baby and for mother-child bonding, you lose weight quicker, and formula is an expensive scam that especially rips off women in the developing world. I think if I chose not to breastfeed for non-medical reasons, my family would be upset. My husband assumes I will do it too.

I remember seeing my mama breast feed my sister. My family was always very open about it. We have lots of pictures of us being breast fed. I remember being in elementary school and being on the playground and pretending to breast feed a doll, and a nun came running over to me freaking out and acting like I was being obscene. I remember being shocked because it had never occurred to me that anyone would find that shameful.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    All of my mom's children were breastfed at least a few months. She was weirded out that I breastfed past six months and started asking me why with a grossed out look on her face. :cry: So, I take that to mean that none of we children made it to six months on her breast. However, anything is better than nothing. We were very healthy children, with no childhood diseases (not even chicken pox).

I lasted until eight months with my son, but next time I'm determined to make it to one year.
    All of my mom's children were breastfed at least a few months. She was weirded out that I breastfed past six months and started asking me why with a grossed out look on her face. :cry:

Yeah, my Mom breastfed us for 6 months each (and then weaned to cow's milk.... :? ). She was totally supportive, understanding whilst I was nursing a young baby but seems a little perplexed as to why I am still nursing my almost 10 month old.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file