Redken Curl Reducer Rocks!

TooSenseTooSense Posts: 229Registered Users
OK I don't usually post on message boards but I just had to share this. I have long, very curly, very frizzy, very fine hair. Each year around this time I start thinking about the straightening thing b/c of the humidity. My hair just drives me nuts.

But, I didn't want to lose my curl. I like my curl. My curl makes me unique. On the other hand, my frizz makes me ugly.

So, this year I scheduled a consultation w/the straightening expert at my salon. I was thrilled to hear there was an alternative--curl reduction rather than straightening. Cheaper, less time consuming, & I got to keep my curl!

I got the process done about a week ago & I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It took away about 25% of the curl & about 90% of the frizz. Definitely one of those "why did I wait so long" things. It cost $200 (I'm in the NYC metro area, probably cheaper in other parts of the country) & took about an hour. I couldn't shampoo for 48 hours after, but no other restrictions like "no ponytails, no tucking hair behind the ears, etc. etc."

I'm so excited about this I just had to tell the world! :D

Comments

• CurlyRedChicCurlyRedChic Posts: 43Registered Users
    I wish I would have had the redken done. I just had the matrix opti smooth cold smoothing done and i don't like it at all. Before my hair was curly and a little bit frizzy. Now my hair is not curly...but it's slightly wavy FRIZZ. My hair is easier to straighten, but i can't just style and go now, I have to blow dry is straight now or else it just looks horrible :(
  • mslauratsmslaurats Posts: 23Registered Users
    Too Sense...do you think you could post before and after pictures...I am really curious about this procedure...
    Can you wash and go now?
  • SIMASIMA Posts: 83Registered Users
    Hi,
    i am new, how can i find this product, is this same as Redken Vertical, and does any one knows about phytorelaxer, and if you use these product how long does it last on your hair.

i am 3a and using aubrey product and love it.
  • TooSenseTooSense Posts: 229Registered Users
    Sorry, I don't have any "after" pics yet, I'm kind of camera shy.

But I can tell you, my hair is *similar* to the way it was before the process, it's just much longer (probably abou 3-4 inches--it's amazing how much length curl takes from your hair!) & much less frizzy. I still dry it naturally & diffuse it for less than 5 minutes right before I walk out the door. My hair is long & all one length, so it's very low maintenance.

Phytorelaxer is a straightener like the japanese straightener.

The woman who did the process on me said the salon doesn't even offer japanese straighteners anymore b/c within one month the curls are growing back & it's such a noticable difference. One of the great things about the curl reducer is you don't really notice the re-growth, & you only have to get it touched up once a year or so.
    Hi Toosene,

how can i find this product that you are talking about and what is the exact name, because i went to redken sight and couldent find it.

thank you for your help,
    sima
    I believe it is the Redken Vertical. I don't think you can buy it in a store though, probably you'd have to call your salon.
    Hi toosense,

the redken vertical i has been discontinued, hopefully they come with new product.

thank you for your help,
    sima
  • cece673cece673 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hi Toosense! This sounds great and exactly what I've been looking for. I'm also in the NYC area...can you tell me what salon you got it done at? And also if you're still loving it. Thanks :)
    Sima--where did you hear it had been discontinued? I had the process done the week of July 4 & the stylist said nothing about it being discontinued.

Cece, I got it done at Subway Salon in Millburn, NJ. The stylist was Candace. And yes, I am still loving it! I still have my curls but much less frizz, my hair seems much longer, and this is the first summer in my life that I've never HAD to wear a ponytail!

I just can't say enough about this procedure. If you want to get rid of some curl & frizz but not go stick straight w/a japanese straightener, not to mention dropping major money , time & maintenance doing it, I highly recommend it.
    Hi Toosense,

i called the company, and they said is discountinued. if we are talking about the same product.
    love
    sima
    OK, I called Candace & asked her which product she used. It was the Redken Vertical & she said it has not been discontinued.

So one of us is getting wrong information. :x I would suggest you call one of your local salons & speak w/whoever does their straightening procedures to get the scoop.

BTW, the Vertical comes in 3 strengths depending on your type of curl. They used the mildest strength on me b/c I wanted to keep as much curl as possible but also get rid of as much frizz as possible.

Hope this helps! :D
  • dshalabydshalaby Posts: 2Registered Users
    I wonder if there is a home version of the salon treatment?
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is this still used in salons? I've read that it causes burning of the scalp....????

Is it similar to the Coppola Keratin Treatment?
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file