Do I have unrealistic expectations for cones?

masa_innmasa_inn Registered Users Posts: 306
I couldn't fight GA humidity anymore, so I tried cones. I imagined getting glossy, frizz-free curls; but got glossy, almost frizz-free straight and limp hair. :dontknow:

What can be the problem? I used GF DT for damaged hair instead of my usual conditioner; and followed by Noodle Head mousse.

Can silicone weight my hair down? I had no idea it was possible. Apparently, after years of being CG, I started to think about 'cones as a dark magic - evil, fast and effective :)
Brunette, almost BSL length, growing out.
CG since Feb 2008, modified CG since September 2008.

I now know my texture/porosity!! (TY, Tiffany!) Medium texture; ends on a porous side; new growth - normal porosity.

Wash: Suave; EO Sweet Orange shampoo

Conditioner: GVP Balm, Mango Lustrasilk

Styling: KCCC, BRHG and LA Looks

Want to try: CJ

Comments

• ellageorginaellageorgina Registered Users Posts: 1,511
    Cones in serums can really weigh down your hair. What did you use exactly?
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    Since I've only used them very sporadically over the past 3 years, I notice now when I do use them that my hair loses curl and is weighed down. Doesn't happen too bad when a product just contains the a-cone and I only use it once in awhile. I'm definitely not tempted to go back to them on a regular basis.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Future WaveFuture Wave Registered Users Posts: 154
    I don't know if my limited experience will be any help, but here goes.

I've always had wavy hair, which curled reasonably well with shampoo and conditioner.

Over the past couple of years, my hair had become more and more straight - but inconsistently straight, as in chunks were still various degrees of wavy, with other chunks being nearly straight. I'm assuming this was due to switching to "curling" shampoos and conditioners that had cones in them, or the addition of cones to the formulation of the shampoos I'd been using for years.

So anyhow, to make a long story even longer, I went CG just a couple weeks ago, and with the amount of curl I"m starting to see, I honestly think the cones were really, really weighting down my hair and making it straighter, especially since the chunks that were nearly straight are now curling nearly as much as the ones that still had a little curl while I was using cones.
    co-wash - Suave Naturals Coconut
    condish - Trader Joe's TTT and Refresh
    styling - FOTE, shea butter, jojoba oil, LA Looks

Kryptonite: Stearalkonium Chloride, quats
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Registered Users Posts: 1,261
    I've noticed using cones will weigh down my hair - though it will cut down on frizz significantly. Since it's kind of actually *stuck* to your hair (which is the crux of the whole curly hair problem, really), then that excess weight will pull the curl out a bit. I still have some cones in my stash, and I do use them once in a while, and while I try to use them on humid days so my curls will spring up regardless (or on days when I won't style and just throw it up in a poofy pony tail so it doesn't matter), my curls aren't quite so good as when I'm doing CG. I also find that the odd cone will put me back to 'square one' with CG, and I kind of have to re-fix my hair through co-washing.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file