Surgery to get rid of acne

NubiaNubia Posts: 28Registered Users
I know I sound desperate. Maybe I am. I have battled Acne (on and off)for 17 years now and lost miserably. I have tried everything from Retin A to Proactiv. I have used all types of natural remedies, over the counter products, taken acne vitamins and literally almost drowned myself in water to just have clear skin.

As a result I get huge inflamed acne that makes my face swell at times.

As I turned 32 over the weekend I looked at my face and wondered why I (beautiful without acne) have to suffer through this....at my age...and when I take such good care of my skin. I am totally disgusted with my skin.

I heard about laser surgery to get rid of acne on Extreme Makeover.

Do any of you know more about this??

At this point I am ready to do anything...even go under the knife to get rid of this acne.

-tired of being hideous

Comments

• briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    If you are getting the cystic type acne sounds like you need oral antibiotics or Accutane. Have you tried either? If you ask me I think laser for acne is a waste of money.....lots of money and insurance does not cover this .
    .png
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Posts: 945Registered Users
    Nubia wrote:
    I know I sound desperate. Maybe I am. I have battled Acne (on and off)for 17 years now and lost miserably. I have tried everything from Retin A to Proactiv. I have used all types of natural remedies, over the counter products, taken acne vitamins and literally almost drowned myself in water to just have clear skin.

As a result I get huge inflamed acne that makes my face swell at times.

As I turned 32 over the weekend I looked at my face and wondered why I (beautiful without acne) have to suffer through this....at my age...and when I take such good care of my skin. I am totally disgusted with my skin.

I heard about laser surgery to get rid of acne on Extreme Makeover.

Do any of you know more about this??

At this point I am ready to do anything...even go under the knife to get rid of this acne.

-tired of being hideous
    The only time I ever get inflamed or pimples that are enourmous and hurt to touch is when I eat something with iodine. Potasium Iodide, Dulse, Kelp, Algae and Kombu are high in Iodine. Agar Agar is a biggie in processed deli meats but the biggest offender by far is CARRAGENNAN. It is in most processed and frozen foods and in ice cream or dairy. Also, for some reason Imagine Rice Dream has decided to add it to their non-dairy treats, great! I was getting these big welts and I was like man what is happening I know I am not eating anything with carregennan but I was the Rice Dream Non-Dairy Ice Cream. As soon as I stopped the welts went away instantly. Anyhoo, I would look at what is in your fridge, freezer and cupboards you might be surprised what you find. Hope this helps. Take care. :D
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you ever tried Accutane? I was like you, and suffered with acne til I was 32 years old. I was jerked around by numerous dermatologists and tried every medication (antibiotics, lotions and potions) and treatment (cryotherapy with dry ice) on the planet. Then, I found a competant dermatologist and took a 6 month course of Accutane. It literally changed my life.

Go to a doctor who is not afraid of Accutane before you consider any sort of laser resurfacing...which often leaves scars.
  • NubiaNubia Posts: 28Registered Users
    No, I cannot try accutane. I want to get pregnant and I know that you cannot be on accutane and be pregnant.
    Nubia wrote:
    No, I cannot try accutane. I want to get pregnant and I know that you cannot be on accutane and be pregnant.

mmmm..yeah Accutane wouldnt be for you then. Sounds like the best option for you..maybe in a year or 2 you could try it . What about oral antibiotics? These may help some and if you get pregnant you just stop them when you find out. IMO I think doxycycline is the best oral antibiotic for acne. I dont think anything topically will help if you are getting the cysts.
    .png

When are you going to start trying to conceive? Accutane only takes 6 months to cure your acne, and then only 1 or 2 more menstrual cycles after you discontinue the Accutane it would be safe to get pregnant.

There really isn't anything that you can take when actively trying to conceive that will help your acne. I would just write off that surgery as too scar-producing if I were you.
  • NubiaNubia Posts: 28Registered Users
    I am trying to conceive right now....if I'm not pregnant already.
  • Sweetie83Sweetie83 Posts: 110Registered Users
    PLEASE be careful with antibiotics. Yes, they can work wonders while you're on them, but it will take a month or two to really see good results. Once you stop taking them, the acne usually comes back - worse.

I was on Doxycycline for about 4 months. As soon as I stopped, my moderate acne came back as deep, cycstic, inflamed, bleeding acne. I was actually considering suicide because my face hurt so badly I felt so ugly.

Another complication with the antibiotics is yeast overgrowth. I developed intestinal and vaginal yeast overgrowth because the drugs kill all of the beneficial gut flora. I'm STILL trying to get rid of the yeast, and it's been 5 years. I've had to stick to a rigorous regimine of diet and antifungals.

More doctors are seeing acne patients with antibiotic-resistant strains of the P. acnes bacteria and, pretty soon, the drugs will be worthless. I've been battling acne since I was 9 (I'm 23 now) and the only thing that has worked for me is taking 10 grams of pantothenic acid per day. Yes, GRAMS, not milligrams. I take 20 of the 500mg capsules daily, 10 capsules 2 hours apart. That, along with Retin-A micro, has kept my skin clear. VERY clear. I actually get compliments now - my skin is glowing.

I urge you to read more about how and why pantothenic acid (vitamin b5) helps acne. When used long term, the results are very close to those of accutane. B5 is water soluable, so it will not become toxic in your system. I found out about B5 while searching the internet in desperation. Within 2 weeks of B5 therapy, the oiliness on my face was gone, and my pimples began healing. It truly was miraculous! I suggest doing a google search for "B5 pantothenic acid acne" to find out more about this. I've been using it for 3 years with no problems. I'm not sure it's safe for use during pregnancy, howerver, so that's definitely something to consider.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a b****. You've got to go out and kick a$$." Maya Angelou
    I am trying to conceive right now....if I'm not pregnant already.

Then you're probably just going to have to make-do with mild topicals and wait til after you deliver and breastfeed to take Accutane.

I have discovered a wonderful salicylic acid though, and have both my teenage sons using it with great success for their acne. I usually don't have much respect for the drugstore variety of salicylic acids, because they are generally too weak to do anything, but this one is a very low PH, without any garbage ingredients. It's very good at clearing up pimples:

http://dianayvonne.com/product/CSE40_2
    Aside staying from too much processed dairy and iodine you might want to try this. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=6
    I literally saved my skin with her advice and fortunately I didn't have to resort to some major drug like Accutane which does have some major side effects. I was able to clear my acne just with some over the counter products. I use to have really bad acne and now with the exception of the occasional zit from my period or when I accidently eat something with iodine I am completely acne free. Pm if you want more info on my specific routines. I have two that I alternate with. :D
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    JerseyCurl thanks for sharing your list....i do paula's choice again (well i stopped and i learned the hard way to stay on it!!)....anyway i'm curious about your list. how did you find that these ingredients cause acne flare ups? i wholeheartedly believe the internal effects the external and i've been desparately trying to figure out what's making my skin stay bad no matter what i do....i learned that eating shrimp probably isn't the best....i think the iodine is high...plus i take a multi that has iodine and kelp which i think i'm going to stop taking. please share more on where i can read up on these ingredients/additives because i'm thinking this may be a big part of my problem....thanks in advance!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs wrote:
    JerseyCurl thanks for sharing your list....i do paula's choice again (well i stopped and i learned the hard way to stay on it!!)....anyway i'm curious about your list. how did you find that these ingredients cause acne flare ups? i wholeheartedly believe the internal effects the external and i've been desparately trying to figure out what's making my skin stay bad no matter what i do....i learned that eating shrimp probably isn't the best....i think the iodine is high...plus i take a multi that has iodine and kelp which i think i'm going to stop taking. please share more on where i can read up on these ingredients/additives because i'm thinking this may be a big part of my problem....thanks in advance!
    Hi, the data I learned many moons ago when I was a teenager and my dermatologist instructed me to completely get rid of iodine rich things from my diet. The specific list is from an acne book that I ordered online. I was sort of hesitant at first but everytime without fail when I eat something with carregenan within 2-4 days I get 1-3 huge and I mean huge welts on my face. :D
    interesting....i found this listing on-line. definitely ditching my vitamins (it has lots of iodine!!!)

Foods that contain large amounts of iodine include:

- Iodized salt, sea salt, and salty foods. Because it's hard to know which restaurants use iodized salt, you might want to avoid eating out during this time
    - All dairy products (milk, sour cream, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream)
    - Margarine
    - Egg yolks
    - Seafood (fish, shellfish, seaweed, kelp)
    - Foods that contain carrageen, agar-agar, algin, or alginate - all of these are made from seaweed
    - Many prepared and/or cured meats (ham, bacon, sausage, corned beef, etc)
    - Fresh chicken or turkey with broth or additives injected
    - Dried fruit
    - Canned vegetables
    - Commercial bakery products
    - Chocolate
    - Molasses
    - Soy products (soy sauce, soy milk, tofu)
    - Any vitamins or supplements that contain iodine
    - FD&C red dye #3 - this appears in many foods or pills that are red or brown, including colas

Foods with moderate amounts of iodine include:
    - Egg whites
    - Fresh noncured meat from the butcher
    - Matzoh
    - Homemade bread made with non-iodized salt and oil (not soy!) instead of butter or milk
    - Most fresh fruits and vegetables (but not too much spinach & broccoli), washed well
    - Frozen vegetables that don't have high-iodine ingredients (like regular salt) added
    - Canned peaches, pears and pineapples
    - Natural unsalted peanut butter
    - Clear sodas
    - Coffee or tea, as long as it's made with distilled water. But remember, only non-dairy creamer!
    - Popcorn popped in vegetable oil or air popped, with non-iodized salt
    - Sorbet - but remember to check the ingredient list for FD&C red dye #3!

As with all things, self-knowledge and moderation are the keys to divine health. It’s always good to know what you are eating before it starts eating away at you.
    this is a good article for everyone concerned about acne...

http://www.skinrxclinic.com/what_causes_acne.htm
    Sweetie83 wrote:
    PLEASE be careful with antibiotics. Yes, they can work wonders while you're on them, but it will take a month or two to really see good results. Once you stop taking them, the acne usually comes back - worse.

I was on Doxycycline for about 4 months. As soon as I stopped, my moderate acne came back as deep, cycstic, inflamed, bleeding acne. I was actually considering suicide because my face hurt so badly I felt so ugly.

Another complication with the antibiotics is yeast overgrowth. I developed intestinal and vaginal yeast overgrowth because the drugs kill all of the beneficial gut flora. I'm STILL trying to get rid of the yeast, and it's been 5 years. I've had to stick to a rigorous regimine of diet and antifungals.

More doctors are seeing acne patients with antibiotic-resistant strains of the P. acnes bacteria and, pretty soon, the drugs will be worthless. I've been battling acne since I was 9 (I'm 23 now) and the only thing that has worked for me is taking 10 grams of pantothenic acid per day. Yes, GRAMS, not milligrams. I take 20 of the 500mg capsules daily, 10 capsules 2 hours apart. That, along with Retin-A micro, has kept my skin clear. VERY clear. I actually get compliments now - my skin is glowing.

I urge you to read more about how and why pantothenic acid (vitamin b5) helps acne. When used long term, the results are very close to those of accutane. B5 is water soluable, so it will not become toxic in your system. I found out about B5 while searching the internet in desperation. Within 2 weeks of B5 therapy, the oiliness on my face was gone, and my pimples began healing. It truly was miraculous! I suggest doing a google search for "B5 pantothenic acid acne" to find out more about this. I've been using it for 3 years with no problems. I'm not sure it's safe for use during pregnancy, howerver, so that's definitely something to consider.

I totally agree with you on the antibiotics. They are defiantely not something you want to be on longterm. Unfortunately some doctors do prescribe them longterm. When prescribed correctly antibiotics are necessary for severe, inflamed acne lesions. The way we use antibiotics in our office is we will start you on the oral antibiotic and also start you on a retinoid cream. Then in one month we will add a topical antibiotic. Then after 2 months of being on the oral antibiotic well will stop that and at that point hopefully the retinoid and the topical antibiotic will be controlling your acne seeing as it take 4-6 weeks for them to start to work.
    .png
    luvmylocs wrote:
    this is a good article for everyone concerned about acne...

http://www.skinrxclinic.com/what_causes_acne.htm
    Great article. :)
    luvmylocs wrote:
    interesting....i found this listing on-line. definitely ditching my vitamins (it has lots of iodine!!!)

Foods that contain large amounts of iodine include:

- Iodized salt, sea salt, and salty foods. Because it's hard to know which restaurants use iodized salt, you might want to avoid eating out during this time
    - All dairy products (milk, sour cream, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream)
    - Margarine
    - Egg yolks
    - Seafood (fish, shellfish, seaweed, kelp)
    - Foods that contain carrageen, agar-agar, algin, or alginate - all of these are made from seaweed
    - Many prepared and/or cured meats (ham, bacon, sausage, corned beef, etc)
    - Fresh chicken or turkey with broth or additives injected
    - Dried fruit
    - Canned vegetables
    - Commercial bakery products
    - Chocolate
    - Molasses
    - Soy products (soy sauce, soy milk, tofu)
    - Any vitamins or supplements that contain iodine
    - FD&C red dye #3 - this appears in many foods or pills that are red or brown, including colas

Foods with moderate amounts of iodine include:
    - Egg whites
    - Fresh noncured meat from the butcher
    - Matzoh
    - Homemade bread made with non-iodized salt and oil (not soy!) instead of butter or milk
    - Most fresh fruits and vegetables (but not too much spinach & broccoli), washed well
    - Frozen vegetables that don't have high-iodine ingredients (like regular salt) added
    - Canned peaches, pears and pineapples
    - Natural unsalted peanut butter
    - Clear sodas
    - Coffee or tea, as long as it's made with distilled water. But remember, only non-dairy creamer!
    - Popcorn popped in vegetable oil or air popped, with non-iodized salt
    - Sorbet - but remember to check the ingredient list for FD&C red dye #3!

As with all things, self-knowledge and moderation are the keys to divine health. It’s always good to know what you are eating before it starts eating away at you.
    Moderation is definately the key. I can get away eating alot of the foods on your list but then there are some that are horrible for my skin. I think the thing to do would be to maybe start a journal where you keep track of you what you eat, how you are doing (good and bad) and when you have breakouts, how long they last. Soon enough you will begin to see a pattern emerge. That is what happened with me and iodine, specifically, carrageenan.
    i'm going to really make an effort to pay better attention to my food intake to see if i see less acne.
  • curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this! I had bad acne (and I mean truly bad, where I couldn't even count how many I had at one time, many were cystic, and my skin scars easily) for about 4 years, until I found acne.org. Everyone's probably sick of me preaching the wonders of acne.org, but if they are, they just don't have to read this! :wink: It took about a year on my regimen for my skin to truly clear up, and my skin's still not perfect, but it's SO much better!!! I follow the regimen as closely as I can. I love love love the Clear Skin Regimen gel, and I just got the new cleanser which I'm really excited to try. I'm so thankful that I found something that works!

Good luck!!! I really hope you can find something that works! If you have any questions or just want support or someone to vent to, feel free to pm me! And good luck getting pregnant! :D
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    But if you have a problem with acne, wouldn't your face continue to break out even after you do the laser resurfacing? Isn't that just for old acne scars? Not live acne flare ups?

nubia i can relate to what you are going thru and i think good topical care is your best bet....i have lots of acne issues but like it's been suggested a good glycolic treatment will really help w/ the dark marks. also salicylic acid helps keep your pores clean and bpo helps kill bacteria....the key is don't get off the treatment (i learned this the hard way).....hopefully you got something out of the nutrition posts but hang in there girl...i know your pain...also have you tried meditation and relaxation techniques including massage & or reflexology (i get regular massages but haven't really started reflexology)....unfortunatly for us folks w/ acne a lot of the toxins in our system are coming out through the skin. i've been taking milk thistle to make sure my liver is clean and functioning optimally....you may want to see about that after you see if it's ok w/ a pregnancy. good luck....stay encouraged!
  • superflycurlsuperflycurl Posts: 23Registered Users
    But our bodies need iodine in order to function properly. Cutting back too much on iodine intake = possible hypothyroid issues.

I've never exactly had acne, but I'd get breakouts from certain cosmetic ingredients, including:

glyceryl stearate
    magnesium myristate
    ceatearyl alcohol
    isopropyl palmitate
    stearic acid

when I cut those ingredients out of my life (and unfortunately one or more of these ingredients pop up in about 90% of skincare and makeup products out there) - no breakouts. Simple as that. You should try this. Unfortunately, even products that are supposedly for treating acne, often contain one or more of these acnegenic ingredients...
    But our bodies need iodine in order to function properly. Cutting back too much on iodine intake = possible hypothyroid issues.

I've never exactly had acne, but I'd get breakouts from certain cosmetic ingredients, including:

glyceryl stearate
    magnesium myristate
    ceatearyl alcohol
    isopropyl palmitate
    stearic acid

when I cut those ingredients out of my life (and unfortunately one or more of these ingredients pop up in about 90% of skincare and makeup products out there) - no breakouts. Simple as that. You should try this. Unfortunately, even products that are supposedly for treating acne, often contain one or more of these acnegenic ingredients...
    Our bodies do need iodine but some people's bodies can tolerate more than others and not all idodine is created equally. Much like carbs, some are really bad for you ( i.e. refined sugar, white bread) and some are really good for you ( i.e. veggies, brown rice, etc.). I have found that when I eat real food with real iodine I don't have much problems but most of the foods that have the fake or processed iodine are processed foods (i.e. processed luncheon meats, cookies, cakes, etc.). Basically, anything that has a label that says to be continued on the next box or can.
    i agree we need small quantities of iodine which i think i get from foods so since i have a sensitivity to it (as evidenced by a DRAMATIC reduction on welts on face after just cutting back on heavy seafood consumption and changing vitamins) i think i'll see how much i can tolerate without having skin issues. i eat a lot of asian food that has seaweed in it which is high in iodine and i do have foods with salt so i'm not really worried about not getting enough iodine in my diet. but at the same time you are right....we do need it for our bodies to work properly. i'm going to experiment and see what's best for me. i will continue to eat seafood but i realize now i probably can't do shrimp or crawfish or other high iodine seafood 4-5 days a week...maybe 1-2 days to see how that goes.
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    My acne was not as severe as your sounds so I doubt that antibiotics would help. I was on antibiotics long term during high school before I knew any better, that can screw up your bodies balance as has already been mentioned so stay away from these! I also tried topical creams like retin a, and differin. They helped some but non cleared my skin so I doubt they would fix yours.

Short of trying something like accutane, which you can't because you are trying to conceive, I'm not sure what else will help. You may want to shoot over to the acne.org forum as there are people who might be able to provide better suggestions. You could try the regimen, it couldn't hurt.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
    Nubia,
    I sooo know how you feel about your acne issue. I've had acne since I was 15 and am now 41. I still have it, but the difference is I found what works for me to stay clear and under control and I am very faithful to my regime. There is no acne cure only control.

I've tried doxycycline and it was great. But I couldn't stand the idea of taking antibiotics to control my acne. I am a nurse and know the effects of resistant bacteria all too well.

I've taken a 5 month course of Accutane 20 years ago. While I loved my "new acne free skin" afterwards. the treatment course was aweful! My lips constantly peeled in sheets unless I had Carmex on them 24/7. My skin constantly itched due to excessive dryness. And the kicker: after 6 years of acne free skin, my "old" skin came back. I have acne again, just like before. Yes, I could take Accutane again according to my Dermatologist, but I can't go through the process again.

What has consistently worked for me is the following:
    *ALWAYS wash your face 2x day (once for dry skin).
    *Apply your acne med 1-2 x day (depending on the med) to the entire ance prone area faithfully or you won't control acne. As long as you have acne, you must follow.

I know it sounds simple, but where most people fail is not continuing the plan or stopping once they are clear, or forgetting to apply the acne med EVERYDAY without fail. Or they stop thinking the med is causing more acne, but it is only bringing out what was already unnoticable (at first) under the skin. Acne doesn't take a holiday, so you can't either.

The hard part is finding the acne med that works for you. Benzoyl Peroxide is really very good and inexpensive (unfortunately I can't use it as I'm allergic). Retin A products are also stellar! I have used them for many many years (prescription). During my 2 pregnancies, I used Erythromycin topical gel. This was enough because pregnancy will calm your skin and you'll notice clearer skin.

With most acne meds, you will peel and flake at first and your acne will get a little worse for a short while. Then after 3-4 weeks, your skin will continue to improve drastically. You need a full 12 weeks to assertain if the medication you are using is working for you. But you will notice a big difference after 2 months.

Sorry this was soooo long, but I hope you can find what will be useful for you. Good luck.........with your skin and pregnancy!
    pw: wavehead
    3a/3b, 2b underneath M/Ciii, coarse crown
    HG: CK
    Currently BRHG, SIF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file