Hair Type... Yes, i'm asking THIS question :)

NayaNaya Registered Users Posts: 922
Okay, so I actually have some hair now and i'm just curious to what people think my hair type is...

I've heard a few different things and when I went to the salon recently to have my hair dyed (yes I did it! but it's very "safe") the girl told me my hair was a 2A. LMAO!!!

Anyways, what do you guys think? This is my hair about 80% dry without any product.

Oh yeah, it's been a year now! :)

Also, I know some people hate this question, please, please no negativity here. If you are angry at the question, perhaps just don't answer it??

Peas and Hominy!
Naya
BC: May 2008
Hair Type:
3C/4A mix I think
http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png

Comments

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    I'd guess 3c based on the picture.

If it's a coarse texture, which is hard to tell via the picture, it's 4a.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • MsBMsB Registered Users Posts: 115 Curl Connoisseur
    First off you have BEAUTIFUL hair :).

I would say 3c/4a
  • RianacocoRianacoco Registered Users Posts: 16
    MsB,

Your hair is beautiful and the cut is lovely. I say you have 3c.
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Beautiful 1a hair! Just kidding! :tongue3:
    I'm loving the curls in the front. I would say 3C.

:wav:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• NayaNaya Registered Users Posts: 922

This is something that always confuses me. I'm not sure. Most people think any hair that isn't straight is coarse. Is coarse the "feel" of the hair? As in if I run my hand down my hair does it feel "rough"? *confused*
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Pretty hair - 3c/4a mix.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • MsBMsB Registered Users Posts: 115 Curl Connoisseur

yeah! you answered my question my sons hair is 4A...LOL...Not a biggy but at least off my mind.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Registered Users Posts: 1,767
    When I'm trying to explain hair coarseness to people, I always refer them to Fia's Hair Typing System. I think it gives a really good explanation.

Being 3c or 4a has more to do with the diameter of your curls versus coarseness which has more to do with the diameter of each individual strand of hair. People can have bone straight hair that is coarse, i.e. asians. See below for more info.

FIRST CLASSIFIER - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
    1a - stick straight
    1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
    1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
    2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
    2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
    2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
    3a - big, loose spiral curls
    3b - bouncy ringlets
    3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
    4a - tightly coiled S-curls
    4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

SECOND CLASSIFIER - What (most of) your individual strands look like

F - Fine
    Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

M - Medium
    Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Medium hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

C - Coarse
    Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Coarse hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it.

THIRD CLASSIFIER - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
    ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
    iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    your hair is so pretty!

we might even be hair relatives...
  • drawmuhfreedrawmuhfree Registered Users Posts: 402
    I have given up on hair typing, but I replied to tell you that your hair is BEAUTIFUL!
    comic-p.jpg

"[My hair and I] are in an unhealthy relationship and I am the abuser."
    --MissKinkyCoily

http://public.fotki.com/drawmuhfree/
    Thanks peeps. That was a teeny bit after the hair drama started from the change of diet, but not yet before the hair drama fully exploded before the change of diet.

@OnyxCabelo Thanks for that information!

LOL @ the 2 star rating. Someone is mad apparently. Poor person. hehehehe :)
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    considering your recent dye job (hair dyes can alter texture a little, but not as drastic as relaxers); assuming you have no leave-in product in at all; and noticing that it's still visibly wet in parts, it's hard to tell what your true natural texture would be.

based on the pic alone, i'd say largely 4a. :dontknow:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • LynneryLynnery Registered Users Posts: 303
    I guess I will never understand hairtyping. I consider the poster's hair 3c. I consider myself 4a with some 4b. Am I wrong?

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    rainshower wrote: »
    i SAY 4A ALSO (oops caps lock was on)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Legally NaturalLegally Natural Registered Users Posts: 102
    3c/4a. Beautiful hair.
    Hair Type: 4a/3c on most, 3b nape, 4b very front
    Prepoo: Lustrasilk Cholesterol, Suave Humectant, Honey and Coconut or JBCO (mixed)
    Poo: Gio Smooth as Silk
    Co-Wash: Pantene Pro-V Curls Conditioner (BEST EVER!)
    Deep Conditioner: AOHSR, JBCO, Gio Smooth as Silk, and MT (mixed) OR Shescentit Conditioners
    Leave-Ins: V0-5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream
    Moisturizers: Ultra Moisturizer, Oyin J&Bs, Cantu Shea Butter
    Oils: Coconut Oil & JBCO
    *True PJ over here, but these are my staples.*
  • cayisha_azulcayisha_azul Registered Users Posts: 234
    I would say you had lovely 3c hair. Congratulations on your natural hair anniversary!
    Current Regimen: I am doing protective styles for the winter. Two Strand Twists and Twist Outs. Wet hair in the middle of winter is not cute.
    Favorite Products: Komaza Care Coconut Line, Kinky Curly Line, and Africare 100% Glycerin
    Never Again: Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, Garnier Fructis, Hot Oil Treatments
    Hair Type: Texture-Spongy, Strand Size-Medium, Curl Pattern-I in the front, O in the middle, and S in the back. 4a
    rainshower wrote: »
    considering your recent dye job (hair dyes can alter texture a little, but not as drastic as relaxers); assuming you have no leave-in product in at all; and noticing that it's still visibly wet in parts, it's hard to tell what your true natural texture would be.

I heard that about hair dyes, but my hair was lightened with an Aveda dye, mostly natural and I didn't notice a change in texture at all. Perhaps it's with the box colors that are harsher??

No assumption necessary, I didn't have a leave-in.. my hair is nekkid in the pic. Hair is also about 80% dry or so. There is a flash on the camera which makes it look shinier than it is.

Thanks for your comment.
    I would say you had lovely 3c hair. Congratulations on your natural hair anniversary!

Thanks! When I had my TWA I was worried that this day would never come. Now I can't believe it's come and past! LOL Time is flying! :)
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • KitathenaKitathena Registered Users Posts: 1,666 Curl Neophyte
    I don't really do the hair typing thing but I also wanted to chime in that your hair is simply lovely!!
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • mozekemozeke Registered Users Posts: 480
    OnyxCabelo wrote: »
    When I'm trying to explain hair coarseness to people, I always refer them to Fia's Hair Typing System. I think it gives a really good explanation.

Being 3c or 4a has more to do with the diameter of your curls versus coarseness which has more to do with the diameter of each individual strand of hair. People can have bone straight hair that is coarse, i.e. asians. See below for more info.

FIRST CLASSIFIER - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
    1a - stick straight
    1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
    1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
    2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
    2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
    2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
    3a - big, loose spiral curls
    3b - bouncy ringlets
    3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
    4a - tightly coiled S-curls
    4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

SECOND CLASSIFIER - What (most of) your individual strands look like

F - Fine
    Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

M - Medium
    Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Medium hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

C - Coarse
    Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Coarse hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it.

THIRD CLASSIFIER - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
    ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
    iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

Thank you for posting this. :hello1::hello1::hello1: Coarse hair does not equate 4a hair. Your hair can be naturally straight and be coarse, fine, or medium type.
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file