Will my hair go into Shock??

lainielanelainielane Posts: 3Registered Users
I've been letting my hair grow out for about a year and i love the length, but i barely get any of the curl that i love so much. It's grown a good 9-10 inches from my profile picture, where i have it short.

However much i like the length, it is not best for my hair or for my face. I loved it short (again, like my profile pic) But last time i went that short i did it over a period of 4-5 months, gradually cutting it shorter and shorter.

The question is...if i cut it all at once, will my hair go into shock and refuse to curl like it did before...or will it be glad the length is gone and curl like crazy?

I'd never be able to live with myself if i lost my curl. Anyone have past experience or some advice?

Thanks SO much!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you get a great haircut with lots of layers, it may take you a little while to learn to work with it again. Your hair should adjust pretty quickly.

Last Spring, I went from just shoulder length to an inverted bob. My stylist was afraid the shorter layers in back would loose their curl. For me, it didn't happen. I am now at a really "edgy" angle--and my hair has reacted very well to it. You can see some of the different stages in my fotki. The longest picture is in the Jan/Feb 08 album.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    It really depends on the individual person. The first time I had a cut while CG, my hair went into "shock" and took about a week to go back to normal. This last cut, it was completely opposite of the last time. It sprung up at least an inch, and was much wavier/curlier.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I haven't cut off loads of hair for years - but I remember I did have an 'interesting' hair day or two right after the cut. After that, it was much happier.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • lainielanelainielane Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks for all the help! I know first hand that curly hair has a mind of it's own.

I loved my hair when it was nice and round with lots of layers...and from growing it out i still have those layers at the ends of my hair.

Now...just to work up the guts to do it haha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file