Favorite Makeup Brands

The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
Which do you like and why?

And does anyone have any good indie brands to rec?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Registered Users Posts: 625
    I love Lighthouse Minerals makeup, I buy it from Etsy.com. It NEVER irritates my skin, makes it red, or causes me to break out, and I've tried tons of drugstore/counter foundations. I apply it with a damp fluffy brush, and it goes on SO well, and the coverage is pretty amazing for powder. The blush gives me a superb glow, and the finishing veil really does keep my makeup perfect all day, it's not just an unnecessary extra step. The eye shadows are also very nice, I love the colors Snow Angel and Sea Mist.

Link:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5690359

I also very much like Allure By Jen's eye shadows, another Etsy.com store:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6298585

I use Maybelline Define a Line eye liner. It does really well on my small eye lids. I use Avon's Mark Make It Big Mascara in Raven, it does wonders for my lashes without looking too over the top. And I'm a fan of Avon's lipsticks.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpgcurls1-1.jpg
  • egyptiancurls89egyptiancurls89 Registered Users Posts: 607
    i love global goddess....its very expensive, but their foundation is the only one that matches my dark olive skin!!!
    3B~Fine, porus, and really long
    HG's~Plopping and Homemade FSG!! Thank you BB :toothy10:
    :farao:Proud To Be Egyptian!
    "Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)
  • Beauty09Beauty09 Registered Users Posts: 33
    i am not so much of a make up person but when I have to use products from MAC cosmetics - I have used their powder,their lip stick is non-sticky and has the best! best pigments in shadows
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I use Meow Cosmetics' mineral make-up. :love7: Very affordable and generous sizes. Plus no "glow" like Bare Minerals and it doesn't irritate my skin.

I also love Bobbi Brown's eye shadows and lipsticks. Wonderful, natural-looking selection.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    When I wear makeup I like Physicians Formula, Almay & Clinique, though not in any order. And I like Neutrogena, when I can find it. When I can afford it I like Bare Minerals & similar.
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    Tarte and Jane Iredale....

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • southerngirliesoutherngirlie Registered Users Posts: 19
    I love Lighthouse Minerals makeup, I buy it from Etsy.com. It NEVER irritates my skin, makes it red, or causes me to break out, and I've tried tons of drugstore/counter foundations. I apply it with a damp fluffy brush, and it goes on SO well, and the coverage is pretty amazing for powder. The blush gives me a superb glow, and the finishing veil really does keep my makeup perfect all day, it's not just an unnecessary extra step. The eye shadows are also very nice, I love the colors Snow Angel and Sea Mist.

Link:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5690359

I also very much like Allure By Jen's eye shadows, another Etsy.com store:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6298585

I use Maybelline Define a Line eye liner. It does really well on my small eye lids. I use Avon's Mark Make It Big Mascara in Raven, it does wonders for my lashes without looking too over the top. And I'm a fan of Avon's lipsticks.

I was checking out the Lighthouse Minerals Makeup and I was thinking of trying it out. I have been wearing the neutrogena mineral makeup for a while now and would like to get something all natural. What shade of the mineral makeup do you use? My skin looks like its pretty much the same color as yours. I'm very fair with pink cheeks.
    2c-3a, very thick,letting my hair grow
    Modified CG

co-wash:VO5 Vanilla mint tea
    Conditioner: Generic Biolage conditioning balm
    Styling-LA looks sport gel mixed with HE totally twisted Mousse
    Shampoo ever other day-Burt's Bees Sugar Beet and Grapefruit

southerngirlie-

I use the foundation in nude. I've also tried Cameo, but something about the hue was just off on my skin. Ivory rose may be another option for you. I use the concealer in fair. I've tried the original silk and the satin glow... I'm a fan of the original silk. It offers a little finishing coverage as opposed to the satin glow, which is just a light dusting. I use the foundation in matte. I have mild acne, and I found the radiant just wasn't enough coverage for me.

I also love their eyeshadow in Seamist, Snow angel, and Desert Sand. Goes well with a fair skin tone.

I'd definitely buy the little baggie samples for about $6. Because if you love it, you'll definitely want the jars that you can swirl your brush into. Makes it way easier than the smaller ones, which I had to sprinkle onto a clean plate every time I wanted to use them.
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • southerngirliesoutherngirlie Registered Users Posts: 19
    Thanks so much for the info. I just ordered a sample of the ivory rose since it has pink undertones and I've got such rosy cheeks. Looking forward to trying it
    2c-3a, very thick,letting my hair grow
    Modified CG

co-wash:VO5 Vanilla mint tea
    Conditioner: Generic Biolage conditioning balm
    Styling-LA looks sport gel mixed with HE totally twisted Mousse
    Shampoo ever other day-Burt's Bees Sugar Beet and Grapefruit

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I like Meow Cosmetics for my foundation. As for everything else, it's a hodge-podge. I do like Maybelline Great Lash mascara because I don't like really thick mascaras. I'm also a fan of the Smashbox O-glow blush. It's a gel, which is nice for me b/c my skin is pretty oily.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    Thanks so much for the info. I just ordered a sample of the ivory rose since it has pink undertones and I've got such rosy cheeks. Looking forward to trying it

Great! Reply back or PM me to tell me how you liked it. Btw, I like spritzing some water on my makeup brush sometimes to make it lightly damp before applying. The makeup sticks to the brush better, so you don't lose any powder.
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    For my foundation, I love Meow minerals.

For eyeshadows, I prefer Clinique,

Mascara, I like Maybelline.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte

Great! Reply back or PM me to tell me how you liked it. Btw, I like spritzing some water on my makeup brush sometimes to make it lightly damp before applying. The makeup sticks to the brush better, so you don't lose any powder.

KG, using a plate is a great idea! I'm always having to scrub my sink to get rid of the powder residue from my mineral blush.

And cute curls, btw.:)
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    Meow Cosmetics--great mineral foundation
    Prescriptives--lipstick and eyeshadow
    Bobbi Brown--everything, particularly the gel liner
    Chanel--lips, cheeks
    Dior--lips
    Stila--eyeshadow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • egyptiancurls89egyptiancurls89 Registered Users Posts: 607
    i would like to add that since i first posted, iv fallen in love with meow minerals!!! so my "revised" answer is global goddess for mascara and liquid liner, meow for everything!! :D
    3B~Fine, porus, and really long
    HG's~Plopping and Homemade FSG!! Thank you BB :toothy10:
    :farao:Proud To Be Egyptian!
    "Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Registered Users Posts: 714
    Bare Minerals.
    It's the only stuff that doesn't irritate my skin. :study:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Registered Users Posts: 896
    Foundation: Currently looking for a good mineral one, but for now I'm just using Covergirl foundation.

Eyeshadows: Still looking for inexpensive matte shadows...

Eyeliner: CoverGirl Outlast Smoothwear Eyeliner. Love it! Easy to apply and doesn't smudge.

Mascara: CoverGirl Lash Blast <3 Gives me the volume that I want for my already-long lashes.

LipGloss: Wet n Wild
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I read something good about Cover Girl Cheekies blush in Glamour recently. Has anyone tried it?
    misspam wrote: »
    Chanel--lips, cheeks
    Dior--lips
    Stila--eyeshadow

Hey, misspam! I used to use the BB gel liner as well and I really liked it. But now I use Meow's Feliner (it's a powder) and eyeliner sealant. :thumbright: It works just as well as the gel and lasts a loooooong time without drying out. It's also easier to rinse out of my eyeliner brush.

I wanted to add that for lip balm, I love My Lip Stuff which is available at www.mylipstuff.com. They have hundreds of "flavors" and different types like in a tube or pot. The site is a bit overwhelming, but you can buy samples (which are actually full sizes but in smaller orders) at reduced shipping. She ships very quickly and the products are moisturizing.
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    Chanel--lips, cheeks
    Dior--lips
    Stila--eyeshadow

Hey, misspam! I used to use the BB gel liner as well and I really liked it. But now I use Meow's Feliner (it's a powder) and eyeliner sealant. :thumbright: It works just as well as the gel and lasts a loooooong time without drying out. It's also easier to rinse out of my eyeliner brush.

I wanted to add that for lip balm, I love My Lip Stuff which is available at www.mylipstuff.com. They have hundreds of "flavors" and different types like in a tube or pot. The site is a bit overwhelming, but you can buy samples (which are actually full sizes but in smaller orders) at reduced shipping. She ships very quickly and the products are moisturizing.

Hey, LoloDSM! :sunny: Thanks for the recommendation on the Meow liner. I am fairly new to the gel liner and I do love it. I think the key with the gel liner is also using the BB Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush. It makes lining soooo easy and mistake proof.

I have also used one of my darker Bare Minerals eye colors as an eyeliner, applied with an angled liner brush. I am due to make another Meow order, so I will definitely look into their option. What brush do you use to apply the Feliner and what shade(s) do you prefer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chanel--lips, cheeks
    Dior--lips
    Stila--eyeshadow

Hey, LoloDSM! :sunny: Thanks for the recommendation on the Meow liner. I am fairly new to the gel liner and I do love it. I think the key with the gel liner is also using the BB Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush. It makes lining soooo easy and mistake proof.

I have also used one of my darker Bare Minerals eye colors as an eyeliner, applied with an angled liner brush. I am due to make another Meow order, so I will definitely look into their option. What brush do you use to apply the Feliner and what shade(s) do you prefer?

I use the Bobbi Brown eyeliner brush with the Feliner. I'm embarrassed to admit that I use the Purrrple. :oops: Embarrassed because purple sounds so tacky but it's lighter than black and emphasizes my green eyes. :) I wear the same makeup every day, so I haven't tried any other shade.

I use the Bobbi Brown eyeliner brush with the Feliner. I'm embarrassed to admit that I use the Purrrple. :oops: Embarrassed because purple sounds so tacky but it's lighter than black and emphasizes my green eyes. :) I wear the same makeup every day, so I haven't tried any other shade.

Are you kidding me??? We must be like two peas in a pod then, because one of my favorite colors to line my eyes with is a med to dark purple! My eyes are brown and green and purple is famous for looking good on our peepers! That's a great choice. :love10: I think black tends to look rather harsh imo. I also like dark greys and dark browns.

Do you apply it dry or wet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    For ease of reading, I'm going to quit quoting here: I use it wet. I've only used it with the sealant and haven't tried it dry.

BTW, I'm glad you weren't judging me about the purple. :) It sounds rather garish, but it isn't.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Purple's not garish. It can look great!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file