Wondering if I should go back to OCM

myboatissinkinmyboatissinkin Registered Users Posts: 22
I tried OCM a while ago and it made me break out like crazy. I used 40% jojoba, 40% EVOO, and 20% castor. I had clear skin before, but just wanted to use something natural. After switching to OCM, I broke out like crazy. I thought it was the EVOO, so I took it out and I broke out less, but I was still breaking out. Now, I've discovered that castor oil was also a factor. I feel like trying again with just jojoba, and maybe some manuka oil or tea tree oil for my acne.

Is this a good idea, or should I just forget about re-trying OCM? If I should continue, does anyone have any ideas for oils to use on sensitive skin w/o castor or extra virgil olive oil?

Thank you!

Comments

• myboatissinkinmyboatissinkin Registered Users Posts: 22
    I used to do it every day, too. Is this a bad idea? I was washing my face with water in the morning, and OCMing at night. Should I only do this a couple times a week and use Cetaphil on the days where I'm not doing the OCM?
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I don't have any recommendations on what kind(s) of oil to use. Sorry about that! I hear that some oils are much more likely to cause acne, but I don't know enough to tell you which ones.

I use the OCM when I wear sunscreen and/or mineral makeup (which is not every day). And because I have an oily T-zone, I ALWAYS follow the OCM with a "traditional" cleanser. Otherwise, I'm sure I would break out.

I use a pH-balanced cleanser. My favorite is the Garden of Wisdom castile cleanser.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Registered Users Posts: 625
    I've never done this before, but I just read about it. I like to use oils on my skin. I've bought some jojoba at Trader Joe's and I use it as a nightly moisturizer after my cleanser. It doesn't seem to make me break out at all, and my combo skin is very prone.
    I really like Tea Tree Oil as a spot treatment, but I'm wondering if you added a little bit into the mix, it's antibacterial properties would help against the other richer oils. The only other oils I know besides Tea Tree and jojoba are sunflower seed and coconut.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpgcurls1-1.jpg
  • Donna-epDonna-ep Registered Users Posts: 192
    I tried OCM a while ago and it made me break out like crazy. I used 40% jojoba, 40% EVOO, and 20% castor. I had clear skin before, but just wanted to use something natural. After switching to OCM, I broke out like crazy. I thought it was the EVOO, so I took it out and I broke out less, but I was still breaking out. Now, I've discovered that castor oil was also a factor. I feel like trying again with just jojoba, and maybe some manuka oil or tea tree oil for my acne.

Is this a good idea, or should I just forget about re-trying OCM? If I should continue, does anyone have any ideas for oils to use on sensitive skin w/o castor or extra virgil olive oil?

Thank you!

Im using 25% castor oil and 75% grape seed oil.

From what I have read many people got bad results after using coconut oil.
    3b textured curly from DK.

• myboatissinkinmyboatissinkin Registered Users Posts: 22
    alacurl wrote: »
    I don't have any recommendations on what kind(s) of oil to use. Sorry about that! I hear that some oils are much more likely to cause acne, but I don't know enough to tell you which ones.

I use the OCM when I wear sunscreen and/or mineral makeup (which is not every day). And because I have an oily T-zone, I ALWAYS follow the OCM with a "traditional" cleanser. Otherwise, I'm sure I would break out.

I use a pH-balanced cleanser. My favorite is the Garden of Wisdom castile cleanser.

Yeah, I was doing it everyday, but I've also been wearing makeup everyday (I love experimenting :p). Maybe I'll start trying every other day though. I'm drinking more water, too. Hoping it helps!

I thought one of the main purposes of OCM was to avoid using regular face wash, though. Wouldn't washing with a normal face wash afterwards defeat the purpose?
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I thought one of the main purposes of OCM was to avoid using regular face wash, though. Wouldn't washing with a normal face wash afterwards defeat the purpose?

The maker of my oil cleanser (Garden of Wisdom) recommends following up with a regular cleanser if you have oily skin. I decided to take the advice. I don't want to encourage breakouts by leaving an oil residue.

The main reason I use OCM is to help clean out my pores/blackheads. So for me, I don't think following up with a normal cleanser defeats the purpose. I use a pH-balanced cleanser, so it doesn't break down the skin barrier.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    I do OCM about 3 times a week, and I use about 50% castor and 50% either jojoba or rose hip seed oil. I prefer the rose hip seed because it seems to make my skin more glowing. I tried a mix of castor and sunflower oil, but it caused breakouts, and I never get breakouts at all. I don't think you're supposed to use olive oil because it's comedogenic for some --although definitely not all. I think it's one of those hit-or-miss oils. Some people won't have any problems, and others will have tons of problems. Coconut oil, as I understand it, is definitely comedogenic and will cause breakouts for most.

When I do the OCM, I gently massage the oil into my face for a minimum of 6 minutes, and I can feel grittiness on my face the longer I do it, which means I'm getting my pores unclogged. Then I wipe my face off with a wet, steaming cloth about 4-5 times (rinsing it in hot water each time) to make sure all the oil is off.

My skin really does look awesome with the combination of OCM and the skin gels/serums I've started formulating. I got sick and tired of paying $20-$100 bucks for good cleansers and serums for aging skin so I started doing the OCM and making my own anti-aging serums, and I get lots of compliments on my skin now. :) My sisters don't buy stuff anymore, either. I make the skin stuff for them, too.

Anyway, I really encourage you to give the OCM another try using different oils; it has really helped make a difference in my skin, and it's so cost-effective!
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file